The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Starting my PhD this Fall. What is the best way to exchange US dollars into GBP?

Hi guys I will be starting PhD studies in St Andrews this Fall. I am a US Citizen currently residing in the US. Just wondering what is the best way to exchange my savings in USD to GBP?

If I buy GBP in cash right now through the bank, they don't offer a good exchange rate (the current rate from the internet is 1.25, but the banks charge 1.32). So another way would be I first move to the UK, then open a bank account there, then use those online wire transfer services to transfer the USD in my American account into my UK account. They seem to offer a much better exchange rate (in this case close to the internet rate of 1.25, as their websites show).

So does the second approach sound right? But can I do this money transfer operation even when I am in the UK? How did you guys do this? Thanks!
I use XE when I go to the UK.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by Sabertooth
I use XE when I go to the UK.

Yes, I am thinking using that website too. So you basically went with the second approach I mentioned above? It worked smoothly? Is it the most economic option?
Original post by Elwynn111
Yes, I am thinking using that website too. So you basically went with the second approach I mentioned above? It worked smoothly? Is it the most economic option?

Yes I did some research and that was the best rate I could find. I spoke to them on the phone (still remember the guy's name) and they were legit though I still worried about losing all my money, thankfully that did not happen! I opened a bank account and moved quite a lot of money. No problems. :smile:

I just moved some more money for a trip I have coming up and again it's gone through without any problems.
Reply 4
Yes I did some research and that was the best rate I could find. I spoke to them on the phone (still remember the guy's name) and they were legit though I still worried about losing all my money, thankfully that did not happen! I opened a bank account and moved quite a lot of money. No problems. :smile:

I just moved some more money for a trip I have coming up and again it's gone through without any problems.

Cool, one more "to-figure out" down.

Original post by Elwynn111
Cool, one more "to-figure out" down.

I agree. XE is great. My advice would be to set up the XE account before you want to move the cash - there are a number of hoops to jump through (legal stuff ) to set up the account, and it takes a couple of days to get your US account verified. Then once you are in the UK set up a bank account asap and enter your details in the recipients page. Also UK banks give you deals if you are a student - not sure if it works for PHDS as well, but it's worth checking.
Reply 6
Revolut

Quick Reply