The Student Room Group

Aston or Kingston for Computer Science?

Hi, I really want to know how student life is at Astom University... especially for the course Bsc Business Computing and IT?? I've read somewhere that the science students in the uni are really nerdy and literally are no fun... is it true??
Reply 1
Hi, I'm accepted to both for Bsc computer science... which has better prospects??
Reply 2
As an intenational student who wishes to study business computing which is one is the better option?? Aston's business school is really reputed wheras Uob is russell group...
Right, there are a lot of questions here so I'm going to do my best to focus your thinking a little bit.

Worry not about what you "have heard", think only about what you can see and feel for yourself. If you are able to visit these universities, please do so. This gives you the best possible idea about these universities.

Second, "reputation" of a university depends entirely on what your plan is after your degree. What sort of job/industry you are hoping to get into. You may have a good idea of your future plans - in which case please share them. If you don't, reject any mentions of university reputation from your thinking.

My advice would be to focus on: the specific modules you are able to take on each course, the amount of choice and flexibility students are given when selecting modules, the scores your course gets on the National Student Survey.

Hopefully if somebody studying at either of these two unis finds this thread, they may be able to offer some experiences of their own about each uni. If any of the official reps for Kingston or Aston see this thread I'd be grateful if they could comment on the number of modules, amount of choice and NSS scores for these courses. This should benefit OP and anyone else reading the thread. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
Right, there are a lot of questions here so I'm going to do my best to focus your thinking a little bit.

Worry not about what you "have heard", think only about what you can see and feel for yourself. If you are able to visit these universities, please do so. This gives you the best possible idea about these universities.

Second, "reputation" of a university depends entirely on what your plan is after your degree. What sort of job/industry you are hoping to get into. You may have a good idea of your future plans - in which case please share them. If you don't, reject any mentions of university reputation from your thinking.

My advice would be to focus on: the specific modules you are able to take on each course, the amount of choice and flexibility students are given when selecting modules, the scores your course gets on the National Student Survey.

Hopefully if somebody studying at either of these two unis finds this thread, they may be able to offer some experiences of their own about each uni. If any of the official reps for Kingston or Aston see this thread I'd be grateful if they could comment on the number of modules, amount of choice and NSS scores for these courses. This should benefit OP and anyone else reading the thread. :smile:

Thank you! This was really helpful.
Also, I can't visit the univerities since I'm an international student and currently have my finals going on.
I think for the course I'm pursuing Aston has a better ranking and I'll most probably choose it as my firm choice.

Quick Reply