The Student Room Group

does alcohol make you happy?

just want to be happy

Scroll to see replies

hmm so im guessing id be even more of a mess ... thanks ill try not to fall on alcohol to make me feel better
Reply 2
beverages makes me happy.
Original post by Chasel
beverages makes me happy.

which ones would you recommend?
Reply 4
dont even think of touching it, alcohol will do nothing but make you sadder
Original post by sppedcup
just want to be happy

Only for a little while and then it gets bad and you grow dependent on it for that little crumb of happiness it gives you. I've struggled with depression induced alcoholism since 18 and I'm 30 now. It's not great. If you want to drink, drink socially but don't rely on it to make you happy
I don't think alcohol makes you happy.
Reply 7
which ones would you recommend?

PERHAPS Innocent Drinks
Original post by BPAMICE
dont even think of touching it, alcohol will do nothing but make you sadder

ive been stopping myself from even buying it
fighting myelf nearly everyday but idk id do anything to be back to normal

fair enough
It makes me happy for a short while, like, while I'm drinking with my friends, but if I drink too much (i.e. get drunk as opposed to just tipsy) I usually feel really numb and sad the day after. Also, if I pass the tipsy stage, get drunk, and drink even more... I start crying and oversharing my deepest darkest secrets lmao.

So do not drink alcohol to make you happy because it won't. In the long-run it'll make you feel so much worse.
Original post by wav3rid3r
Only for a little while and then it gets bad and you grow dependent on it for that little crumb of happiness it gives you. I've struggled with depression induced alcoholism since 18 and I'm 30 now. It's not great. If you want to drink, drink socially but don't rely on it to make you happy

idk what to do anymore
i dont want to sleep with guys just to feel something i need to find that happiness/ content myself
i hope it works out for you :hugs: just need to clear my head really
Original post by Chasel
PERHAPS Innocent Drinks

im more of a Tropicana girl :tongue:

Original post by kaorimiyazono
It makes me happy for a short while, like, while I'm drinking with my friends, but if I drink too much (i.e. get drunk as opposed to just tipsy) I usually feel really numb and sad the day after. Also, if I pass the tipsy stage, get drunk, and drink even more... I start crying and oversharing my deepest darkest secrets lmao.

So do not drink alcohol to make you happy because it won't. In the long-run it'll make you feel so much worse.

lol maybe i need to do that but alone, it might just help me open up about stuff thats happened and how im feeling
physically cant talk about it
maybe mi5 should hire me lol ... jkjkk
im more of a Tropicana girl :tongue:

lol maybe i need to do that but alone, it might just help me open up about stuff thats happened and how im feeling
physically cant talk about it
maybe mi5 should hire me lol ... jkjkk

I honestly don't think you should. Alcohol is addictive so if you start drinking as a coping mechanism it'll lead to alcoholism. If you want to cry and open up about the stuff you've been going through, maybe try something like making a playlist of sad songs that you relate to/that have lyrics that apply to your situation and crying to the music at 2am in the dark with headphones on. Honestly that is a mood and such a good way of having a good cry session.

I've done both. Crying while drunk isn't the same as crying while sober to let your emotions out. I feel significantly better after crying while listening to songs that amplify my emotions than after drinking. Plus, with music you don't get a hangover lol.

Do you have anyone to talk to? I really hope you find the support you need to get through this.
I honestly don't think you should. Alcohol is addictive so if you start drinking as a coping mechanism it'll lead to alcoholism. If you want to cry and open up about the stuff you've been going through, maybe try something like making a playlist of sad songs that you relate to/that have lyrics that apply to your situation and crying to the music at 2am in the dark with headphones on. Honestly that is a mood and such a good way of having a good cry session.

I've done both. Crying while drunk isn't the same as crying while sober to let your emotions out. I feel significantly better after crying while listening to songs that amplify my emotions than after drinking. Plus, with music you don't get a hangover lol.

Do you have anyone to talk to? I really hope you find the support you need to get through this.

i just had a very ... stress relieving cry literally 5 minutes ago i was scared i was going to faint everything was spinning but yeah i think maybe i should write stuff down if i cant physically say it

yeah thanks id imagine a hangover to be annoying

thanks again i think ill be okay alone, ive been doing it for 20years now so maybe i just need to let myself be upset when i am upset
i just had a very ... stress relieving cry literally 5 minutes ago i was scared i was going to faint everything was spinning but yeah i think maybe i should write stuff down if i cant physically say it

yeah thanks id imagine a hangover to be annoying

thanks again i think ill be okay alone, ive been doing it for 20years now so maybe i just need to let myself be upset when i am upset

Aw :frown: Yeah writing things down is also incredibly helpful. And yesss let yourself be upset when you are upset. I bottled up my emotions for years and I feel so much better now that I just let myself cry when I want to and breakdown when I need to.

And even if you've been doing this on your own for 20 years, it still might be a good idea to seek some help. Trust me, it helps a lot to have someone you can rely on.
have things been better for you? idek what my normal is
i guess this is how i really feel when im not running away mentally from stuff that's happened/ it's all catching up to me

this summer im going to just try and work and hopefully meet new people/ new interactions and hopefully it should help just going somehwere everyday to give me a routine

Aw :frown: Yeah writing things down is also incredibly helpful. And yesss let yourself be upset when you are upset. I bottled up my emotions for years and I feel so much better now that I just let myself cry when I want to and breakdown when I need to.

And even if you've been doing this on your own for 20 years, it still might be a good idea to seek some help. Trust me, it helps a lot to have someone you can rely on.

yeah i think i need to just be upset more
ive been having breakdowns when my body needs to i think, luckily theyve all been at home

i did open up to 2% of stuff but no everyone can be trusted and ive learnt that the hard way soo thanks for the responses i was creeping closer and closer to just drinking
thanks
i have attended a few events and i do feel some control over my life
just little things that give me some independence i feel like a real person ... if that makes sense?
ig i just need time away from home
academically im 'achieving' but at what cost? i dont want to live just for high grades and really bad messed up head it's not very balanced or healthy

thanks again i appreciate your replies :tongue:
have things been better for you? idek what my normal is
i guess this is how i really feel when im not running away mentally from stuff that's happened/ it's all catching up to me

this summer im going to just try and work and hopefully meet new people/ new interactions and hopefully it should help just going somehwere everyday to give me a routine

yeah i think i need to just be upset more
ive been having breakdowns when my body needs to i think, luckily theyve all been at home

i did open up to 2% of stuff but no everyone can be trusted and ive learnt that the hard way soo thanks for the responses i was creeping closer and closer to just drinking

Yeah just accept every emotion as it comes so you can start processing how you feel.

I'm sorry that you've had bad experiences when it comes to opening up to people :frown: If you ever want to rant about anything, feel free to PM me.
When I used to drink (15 months sober now) I would say that alcohol made me more confident and open but as for happiness it depended on the crowd I was with and other stuff happening sometimes I was more miserable than before I started drinking. So I would say no but it can give you the sense of it if your with the right people, I can have just as much if not more fun doing the same things as before without alcohol if I'm with the right people.
Yeah just accept every emotion as it comes so you can start processing how you feel.

I'm sorry that you've had bad experiences when it comes to opening up to people :frown: If you ever want to rant about anything, feel free to PM me.

thanks again :hugs:
and if you have exams coming up gl x

Original post by Fresher18
When I used to drink (15 months sober now) I would say that alcohol made me more confident and open but as for happiness it depended on the crowd I was with and other stuff happening sometimes I was more miserable than before I started drinking. So I would say no but it can give you the sense of it if your with the right people, I can have just as much if not more fun doing the same things as before without alcohol if I'm with the right people.

thanks ill try and find other ways probably steer clear of drinking as of now
congrats on 15 months sober btw :smile:

Quick Reply