Joint honours at the University of Kent

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This may sound like a silly question and I should know by now. But...

I am currently studying English literature and Creative Writing at the Uni of Kent (second year). I am doing quite well in creative writing and I think I could push even more and get a solid grade. My general English literature course however (for lot's of reasons) I am doing... meh. Not terribly but nowhere near where I want to be. I have one more assignment this year to do, and I am going to really try and salvage this module whilst I still can, as I know that second year goes towards my final grade. I am not worried so much about creative writing but for English literature I am beginning to feel a little stressed.
I am going to really focus harder in my third year to try and boost my grades way up there of course, but I feel I may have made my life a lot harder because of my very average second year aha.

Are joint honours graded as a sort of 'all in one degree'? I am aware that doesn't really make sense, but basically what I am asking is; if I do really well in creative writing but still do sort of average in English Literature, will it maybe balance it out a little bit?
For example, if I get a 2:2 in English literature and a first in creative writing (unlikely I know, but I can try), could it balance the entire classification of my degree out to a 2:1.

Is this how it works?

Apologies for sounding a bit silly. Of course I will still try to boost my English literature grade as best I can.

Thanks in advance
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Varies depending on the uni and how they determine your degree classification. Most unis will use an average of your module results so you can outweigh a weaker performance in one (or several) modules with stronger performance in others, although you usually need to get certain minimum marks in particular modules to pass them and progress through your programme overall. That said it's usually not just a simple average that determines your classification, especially if you are at/near a classification borderline.

Some unis do have slightly different variations on this though. Oxford for example I think usually does require you demonstrate "satisfactory performance" or something in both subjects for joint honours courses. However Oxford has pretty unusual classification formats so is more of an exception, but does illustrate that it is in principle possible you may need to show good results on both sides. However I think at most unis you will be able to average things out. Also bear in mind usually the later years of your course count more towards your classification than the earlier ones.
University of Kent Reps
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This may sound like a silly question and I should know by now. But...

I am currently studying English literature and Creative Writing at the Uni of Kent (second year). I am doing quite well in creative writing and I think I could push even more and get a solid grade. My general English literature course however (for lot's of reasons) I am doing... meh. Not terribly but nowhere near where I want to be. I have one more assignment this year to do, and I am going to really try and salvage this module whilst I still can, as I know that second year goes towards my final grade. I am not worried so much about creative writing but for English literature I am beginning to feel a little stressed.
I am going to really focus harder in my third year to try and boost my grades way up there of course, but I feel I may have made my life a lot harder because of my very average second year aha.

Are joint honours graded as a sort of 'all in one degree'? I am aware that doesn't really make sense, but basically what I am asking is; if I do really well in creative writing but still do sort of average in English Literature, will it maybe balance it out a little bit?
For example, if I get a 2:2 in English literature and a first in creative writing (unlikely I know, but I can try), could it balance the entire classification of my degree out to a 2:1.

Is this how it works?

Apologies for sounding a bit silly. Of course I will still try to boost my English literature grade as best I can.

Thanks in advance
Hey there!

It's a tricky question. Some modules there will be a requirement to pass, achieve any grade, in order to obtain your joint honours degree.
However, assuming you'll pass every module, your creative writing can potentially have a positive weighting to your overall mark.

You will need to see your individual modules and how much credit each is worth, but I will give an example below:
Let's assume your English Lit modules have a total credit value of 45 - and your Creative Writing modules come to 75 (They must total 120, I believe, each year). Then statistically speaking your creative writing modules will have a larger effect on your final grade than your English Lit, because those individual modules are accounting for more of your final grade.

In the attached images I have included an excel sheet I use to work out my grades. The example includes one module with a credit value of 15. Once you have all of your weighted average scores, you find out the average of these using =AVERAGE(), which shows your current grade. If you have a module worth 30 credits, for the Excel sheet it is easiest to duplicate it, as if the module is 15 credits twice.
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
27.78%
As I expected (73)
31.2%
Harder (88)
37.61%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.42%

Watched Threads