The Student Room Group

What can i do to revise in preparation for my GCSEs? (In year 8)

I want to do more for my classes in preparation for my GCSEs and get better on tests, is year 8 too early?

I'm on top of most of my classes, and do extra work for the subjects I enjoy. Recently I got third highest in my class for an end of term test, and I found I was unhappy, even though to some that would be an achievement. On future tests, I hope to get highest in the class and/or five marks off at the maximum. I asked my teacher what I could do, and she replied that I was doing extremely well already and that I could just look at past paper questions. Any advice on revising for tests to ensure full marks?

Regarding GCSEs, I want to ensure that I get 9-7s on all of my subjects. Is there anything I can to do help with that?

Thanks for all the information/tips! :bunny:
Original post by Iumin
I want to do more for my classes in preparation for my GCSEs and get better on tests, is year 8 too early?

I'm on top of most of my classes, and do extra work for the subjects I enjoy. Recently I got third highest in my class for an end of term test, and I found I was unhappy, even though to some that would be an achievement. On future tests, I hope to get highest in the class and/or five marks off at the maximum. I asked my teacher what I could do, and she replied that I was doing extremely well already and that I could just look at past paper questions. Any advice on revising for tests to ensure full marks?

Regarding GCSEs, I want to ensure that I get 9-7s on all of my subjects. Is there anything I can to do help with that?

You have plenty of time, for now I would just say light revision (not GCSE revision but what you're learning), don't overwork yourself (i'm in yr11 btw)

I would say in terms of doing better in tests, maybe try active recall? In terms of GCSEs it is pretty early dont stress too much
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by randompanda_
You have plenty of time, for now I would just say light revision, don't overwork yourself (i'm in yr11 btw)

Thank you very much!! :biggrin:
If you aren't doing GCSE content, don't revise it yet. Year 8 is a little early. I did absolutely no revision in KS3 and I still do well at GCSE (with revision), because they aren't really linked. Start as soon as you start GCSE content, and do so regularly. You'll do well.
Original post by Iumin
Thank you very much!! :biggrin:

No problem, from what you're teachers are saying your already doing amazing so well done!
Reply 5
Original post by Iumin

mate dont worry about it, honestly i did not pick up a pen until year 11 and got 9's and 8's. Enjoy your time in secondary school because trust me stuff gets so much harder after then
Reply 6
I would say it's a bit early to start worrying too much about GCSE's, I'd say just keep up what you're doing as it sounds like you're doing really well so far, and once you get into year 10/11 just regularly revise as you go along and look at past papers and mark schemes.

I'll be honest, I didn't start properly revising until late year 11 and I still managed to get 9-7s in all my subjects so really don't worry too much (but maybe start a bit earlier than I did lol).

For now, have fun and enjoy being a kid!
Just relax while you still can. As a year 12 now I've been spending the last three years in lots of revision and barely time to properly relax. So don't study that much yet. Develop your hobbies, spend lots of time with family and friends, do what you like while you still have the time and energy too
Wow I sound old
Also

Original post by Iumin
On future tests, I hope to get highest in the class and/or five marks off at the maximum... Any advice on revising for tests to ensure full marks?

Just something regarding your post: I know how this feels, and it's fine when you're still in year 8 and contents are easier -- but it's better to keep in mind as you grow up tests and exams get harder, and it's not easy to get full marks/near full marks even you've tried the hardest/are the top of your class. Last year our gcse biology level 9 boundary is 63% -- if you get 63% in the paper you already have a 9!
My AS mock (taking A levels next year) just finished and in biology I got 66/80, doesn't look too good at first glance but already would be an A star. My sister's university essay pass is 40% -- so don't feel bad IF you're a bit off from full marks -- mostly as things get harder 70-80-ish percent is an amazing achievement.
Reply 9
Thank you so much! I'm thankful for all the help :biggrin:

Original post by Bookworm524
Also

Just something regarding your post: I know how this feels, and it's fine when you're still in year 8 and contents are easier -- but it's better to keep in mind as you grow up tests and exams get harder, and it's not easy to get full marks/near full marks even you've tried the hardest/are the top of your class. Last year our gcse biology level 9 boundary is 63% -- if you get 63% in the paper you already have a 9!
My AS mock (taking A levels next year) just finished and in biology I got 66/80, doesn't look too good at first glance but already would be an A star. My sister's university essay pass is 40% -- so don't feel bad IF you're a bit off from full marks -- mostly as things get harder 70-80-ish percent is an amazing achievement.

Quick Reply

Latest