The Student Room Group

I am completely stuck on what university to go to

I currently have offers for:
BA Politics and economics, University of Nottingham
Msci Economics, Royal Holloway
BA Philosophy, politics and economics, Lancaster
Bsc Economics, Surrey

I want to work in business/banking/finance and if i study a bachelors i will try to study a masters in economics. I am torn between all of these as they all have their own benefits and drawbacks, any opinions would be really appreciated.
Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Decide what course structure you like best. That should give you an idea as to where you want to go.
Nottingham is probably the only one that will potentially get you into investment banking so if that's your plan, go there.

You don't need to study economics to be an investment banker. A masters in economics is also not really specifically useful for that aim, nor really relevant.as well. Such masters degrees are designed for those planning to work as economists in e.g. NGOs or other policy roles in the civil service or similar, or who aim to become academics and go on to PhDs in economics.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Nottingham is probably the only one that will potentially get you into investment banking so if that's your plan, go there.

You don't need to study economics to be an investment banker. A masters in economics is also not really specifically useful for that aim, nor really relevant.as well. Such masters degrees are designed for those planning to work as economists in e.g. NGOs or other policy roles in the civil service or similar, or who aim to become academics and go on to PhDs in economics.

What about Middle and Back office roles in investment banks? Does university matter then?
Original post by Manvith
What about Middle and Back office roles in investment banks? Does university matter then?

Not sure for them as much. Big 4 grad schemes seem to not really care where you studied so similar roles in banks may not, perhaps.
Original post by Brian2216
BA Economics, Lancaster
Bsc Economics, Surrey

I want to work in business/banking/finance and if i study a bachelors i will try to study a masters in economics. I am torn between all of these as they all have their own benefits and drawbacks, any opinions would be really appreciated.
Thanks

Hi there! It's great to hear you have applied to Surrey and received an offer :smile:

To introduce myself I’m Joao. In my final year studying BSc Economics at Surrey University, I work as a Campus Ambassador for JP Morgan. I recently finished my one-year industrial placement as an Economist for the British Government’s Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). I also had the opportunity to work as a Private Secretary to the Minister of Environment and Biosecurity.

Careers and graduate outcomes: On our Economics BSc (Hons), you'll acquire skills highly sought-after in today’s challenging economic environment, as private and public organisations strive to solve increasingly complex problems. Our teaching is at the forefront of the field and is influenced by real industry insights. All academics within our School of Economics are research-active, and some are advisers to world-renowned organisations. We also offer award-winning Professional Training Placements, which prepare students for roles in various sectors. We deliver on jobs, too. Surrey was named the University of the Year for Graduate Employment in The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022.

Investment Banking: There's more than one way of getting a graduate job at an investment bank. The route you choose will depend partly upon the area of the bank you want to get into. My advice is to apply for internships during your bachelor's degree and get an offer of a full-time job when you graduate. This is the standard method of getting the first job in an investment bank. While you're at university, you need complete as many investment banking internships as you conceivably can, starting in your first year. In Europe, these first-year internships are known as 'spring weeks.' Suppose you impress the banks' recruiters during these short first-year internships. In that case, you will often be guaranteed a place to come back for ten weeks during the summer holiday of your second year (a so-called "summer internship" or "summer analyst program.") And if you impress again during these summer internships, you should be offered a full-time job when you graduate.

Surrey: The campus is lovely. Surrey is known to emphasise the social life of students and always cares about how you spend your free time at university. The student union offers more than 140 societies based on any hobbies and interests students have and clubs for all kinds of sports that a student might want to take up. And even with covid restrictions, the union managed to organise one of the country's most significant covid-safe university events!

If you have any questions about Surrey or uni life in general, please ask as I can help you out!
Joao
Economics
Reply 6
Bump
Bsc Economics, Surrey

Thanks

I'd probably say Notts > Surrey > Lancaster > RHUL for these courses for career prospects for the average student, but it depends on a lot of factors and your preferences over them. Worth remebering that Surrey has a pretty good and well established placement year system which can really help to get a solid early career
Reply 8
Bsc Economics, Surrey

Thanks

If you wanna work in banking nottingham is the clear winner here.
(edited 1 year ago)
Bsc Economics, Surrey

Thanks

Hey @Brian2216,

Although I don't study PPE, I can tell you a bit about the course and about the Uni. In regards to the degree, one great thing is that it offers a placement year, so you can gather real life experience, which helps in getting a job after Uni. The degree itself is highly ranked, and my friends which are currently doing the degree seem to enjoy it. I imagine you've already researched the degree, so I'll tell you more about the Uni.

Although the degree/course does matter, it's really important to think about the university itself, and whether you'll enjoy spending time there. Most people regret going to a uni that had a good course, but wasn't their cup of tea.
Lancaster is a campus university, so is self-contained, although it only takes 10/15 minutes to get into the city. It's not really a party university, although there defiantly is that scene, if that's what you're into. If you're an outdoorsy person, the Lake District is on your doorstep, alongside the Yorkshire dales. Lancaster also has a great sense of community, and I'm a big fan of all the sports and societies on offer.

I love this university, but its not for everyone, so make sure to think about the university itself when making your decision :smile:
Either way, university is absolutely what you make of it, so put yourself out there and have a great time! If you've not been able to go to an open day or see the university, here is a virtual tour to help you get a better sense of the university:

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/virtual-tour/

In terms of job prospects I'm not entirely sure, apart from most jobs are more concerned that you have a degree from a decent university, than what the specific university is; and that work experience is absolutely vital . It helps if the university is good at putting you in contact with people of course.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any more questions,
Abby, Student Ambassador
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey @Brian2216,

Although I don't study PPE, I can tell you a bit about the course and about the Uni. In regards to the degree, one great thing is that it offers a placement year, so you can gather real life experience, which helps in getting a job after Uni. The degree itself is highly ranked, and my friends which are currently doing the degree seem to enjoy it. I imagine you've already researched the degree, so I'll tell you more about the Uni.

Although the degree/course does matter, it's really important to think about the university itself, and whether you'll enjoy spending time there. Most people regret going to a uni that had a good course, but wasn't their cup of tea.
Lancaster is a campus university, so is self-contained, although it only takes 10/15 minutes to get into the city. It's not really a party university, although there defiantly is that scene, if that's what you're into. If you're an outdoorsy person, the Lake District is on your doorstep, alongside the Yorkshire dales. Lancaster also has a great sense of community, and I'm a big fan of all the sports and societies on offer.

I love this university, but its not for everyone, so make sure to think about the university itself when making your decision :smile:
Either way, university is absolutely what you make of it, so put yourself out there and have a great time! If you've not been able to go to an open day or see the university, here is a virtual tour to help you get a better sense of the university:

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/virtual-tour/

In terms of job prospects I'm not entirely sure, apart from most jobs are more concerned that you have a degree from a decent university, than what the specific university is; and that work experience is absolutely vital . It helps if the university is good at putting you in contact with people of course.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any more questions,
Abby, Student Ambassador

If you're serious about banking, disregard all of this and choose Nottingham.
Reply 11
Original post by Bk4753
If you're serious about banking, disregard all of this and choose Nottingham.

I have firmed Nottingham, thanks for the advice.
Bsc Economics, Surrey

Thanks

I think that nottingham is the most well regarded university for economics out of those, but it should depend most on how you think you’ll enjoy the courses and locations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending