The Student Room Group

a level english lit or spanish?

hi, im in year 11 now and wondering if it'd be better to take english lit or spanish at a levels? im hoping to do law at oxbridge, and im predicted 8/9s in both subjects :smile:
it depends on your other a levels - you want to include at least one essay subject (like geography/ history/ psychology), so if you haven't chosen one already then probably take english
if youre planning on taking other essay-based subjects, having spanish in there would be a nice addition!
hope this helps :smile:

Original post by lara!
hi, im in year 11 now and wondering if it'd be better to take english lit or spanish at a levels? im hoping to do law at oxbridge, and im predicted 8/9s in both subjects :smile:
Reply 2
i’m also doing history and maths so i’m not too sure
Original post by lara!
i’m also doing history and maths so i’m not too sure

if you want to go to oxbridge, i think english would be the best choice to show that you have good analysis and essay writing skills
but if you are confident in spanish, there's nothing wrong with doing that instead! :wink:
I currently take English Literature, History and Spanish (Y13), you won't be disadvantaged if you don't pick one or the other since you can pretty much do a Law degree with any subjects within reason, personally I think if you want to be stronger at essay writing maybe go for English Lit but a language is definitely a useful subject to have especially if you want to build on communication skills and overall awareness (plus there is also a small essay writing component in Spanish). Based on this, I would say pick whichever subject you enjoy because it doesn't matter how good you are at GCSE but if you are able to maintain a passion after the jump to A Level and achieve the best grade you can. Alternatively, most sixth forms/colleges will let you pick 4 and you can drop one maybe 2 weeks in so you could also try them both out and see later? If you have any other subject-specific questions I'd be glad to help!
Are you good at spanish? what did you get at GCSE? Languages are one of the hardest A Levels.
Reply 6
Original post by reiteration
I currently take English Literature, History and Spanish (Y13), you won't be disadvantaged if you don't pick one or the other since you can pretty much do a Law degree with any subjects within reason, personally I think if you want to be stronger at essay writing maybe go for English Lit but a language is definitely a useful subject to have especially if you want to build on communication skills and overall awareness (plus there is also a small essay writing component in Spanish). Based on this, I would say pick whichever subject you enjoy because it doesn't matter how good you are at GCSE but if you are able to maintain a passion after the jump to A Level and achieve the best grade you can. Alternatively, most sixth forms/colleges will let you pick 4 and you can drop one maybe 2 weeks in so you could also try them both out and see later? If you have any other subject-specific questions I'd be glad to help!

thank u for this!! :smile:
Original post by lara!
thank u for this!! :smile:

Of course, if you have any questions about either subject just ask :smile:
Eng lit 100% I do span and I hate my life Eng is a vibeeeee

Quick Reply

Latest