The Student Room Group

Best Unis for CompSci?

In general, what are the best Unis for CompSci(Outside OxBridge)?

I've got Southampton, Newcastle, UCL, Imperial, Warwick, St Andrews down. Are there any other obvious ones I've missed?
Original post by AnotherStudent!

I've got Southampton, Newcastle, UCL, Imperial, Warwick, St Andrews down. Are there any other obvious ones I've missed?

No obvious ones, but Bristol, Manchester, KCL, Birmingham etc. could be included alongside Southampton and Newcastle.

The main ones are the ones you mentioned: Imperial, UCL, Warwick, St Andrews.
Original post by Quadrinomial
No obvious ones, but Bristol, Manchester, KCL, Birmingham etc. could be included alongside Southampton and Newcastle.

The main ones are the ones you mentioned: Imperial, UCL, Warwick, St Andrews.

Thank you! Completely forgot about those, especially Manchester and Bristol. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by AnotherStudent!

Sorry for digging this up again, but a few things to consider:
Are you looking for the UK vs International prestige, for example, St Andrews does quite badly in terms of international rankings. This is because their department is tiny (this could be an advantage or disadvantage), and therefore produces little research relative to bigger hitters like UCL, Edinburgh, and Warwick. Personally didn't apply for St Andrews for either my BSc or my MSc now partially due to this reason and being in the middle of nowhere. Whereas KCL does well internationally but meh nationally in terms of Computer Science specific reputation.

What areas are you interested in, in particular, are you super interested in low-level stuff because Southampton is great for that being joint with the really strong electronics department. Perhaps NLP, then Edinburgh and Sheffield have good departments in these areas. (I think something that could be cool is seeing the delta between their overall rankings and subject-specific ones)

These two areas are slightly more important for a postgrad, just because

If you're intrigued I personally applied for:
Imperial, Manchester, Warwick, York and Newcastle
I ended up in Southampton after adjustment, but that's a long story...

So personally picking 3 reach/possible firms universities, those for me were Imperial Manchester and Warwick, then choosing two insurance universities is what my personal strategy would be. Other recommendations include, but not limited to Bath and York. Between, Warwick, UCL, Southampton, St Andrews, Bristol and Manchester you've hit most of the oxbridge/imperial reject universities. (I would know just from the sheer number of people in my year that were aha).
(edited 1 year ago)
I'd say Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, KCL, Warwick, Bristol, St. Andrews, Manchester are a good range of good uni's for computer science.
Original post by Evitov
Sorry for digging this up again, but a few things to consider:
Are you looking for the UK vs International prestige, for example, St Andrews does quite badly in terms of international rankings. This is because their department is tiny (this could be an advantage or disadvantage), and therefore produces little research relative to bigger hitters like UCL, Edinburgh, and Warwick. Personally didn't apply for St Andrews for either my BSc or my MSc now partially due to this reason and being in the middle of nowhere. Whereas KCL does well internationally but meh nationally in terms of Computer Science specific reputation.

What areas are you interested in, in particular, are you super interested in low-level stuff because Southampton is great for that being joint with the really strong electronics department. Perhaps NLP, then Edinburgh and Sheffield have good departments in these areas. (I think something that could be cool is seeing the delta between their overall rankings and subject-specific ones)

These two areas are slightly more important for a postgrad, just because

If you're intrigued I personally applied for:
Imperial, Manchester, Warwick, York and Newcastle
I ended up in Southampton after adjustment, but that's a long story...

So personally picking 3 reach/possible firms universities, those for me were Imperial Manchester and Warwick, then choosing two insurance universities is what my personal strategy would be. Other recommendations include, but not limited to Bath and York. Between, Warwick, UCL, Southampton, St Andrews, Bristol and Manchester you've hit most of the oxbridge/imperial reject universities. (I would know just from the sheer number of people in my year that were aha).

Going Southampton this year, please can you share your experience. Are you enjoying the course? how many students, what about internship opportunities and job prospects, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending