The Student Room Group

Do I actually need a distinction in my MSc for pure maths PhD funding?

Currently in a bit of a tizzy about my future and it's putting a lot of stress on my masters studies! Ideally looking for reassurance but I suppose a dose of reality will do if needed :smile:

I'm a MSc Maths masters student at Leeds with a 1st undergrad, but I got pretty mediocre grades last semester (64-69). I want to do a PhD in analysis/geometry but obviously the funding is tight and is competition-based so I'm stressed a merit will completely rule me out.

However, I do think my masters thesis will be strong as I enjoyed my undergrad project and didn't find stress bogged me down at all, which is why my exams didn't go so well. So I'm hoping 'competition-based' funding prioritises academic merit in terms of research potential based on your thesis, not just your grades.

I'm working so hard on revision for this semester, but the stress of feeling like I have to get a distinction or my future is gone is making me somehow less productive lol

I am preparing to do self-funded anyway as most universities don't even offer funding at all in pure maths, but obviously I don't want to solely confine myself to that by getting subpar grades.
Depends on the calibre of the university you apply to, the location, the number of high quality applicants, and the supervisor. Anything less than a good merit would harm your chances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending