Availability of 1 year internship in UK?

Watch this thread
TISrobin
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone, I'm an undergrad who is planning to do a masters in the UK next year (probably).

I heard that some unis have this 'placement year' which allows students to get 1 year of experience in the industry, but I know this isn't guaranteed and only works if you actually secure it.

The question I have is, is the 1 year experience (placement year) something that only students who have that option in the university get? Or is it possible for other students who don't have that placement year route to get 1 year internships as well (of course this would have nothing to do with the university requirements in this case)?

So to make my question more clear, I wish to know if getting a 1 year internship is only the privilege of the students who have that option in their university or free for any student attending any university.

Most likely I will be going to the UK as an international student straight from undergrad, and I heard that I can receive a 2-year post study work visa, so I'm planning to spend the first year after graduation doing a 1-year internship if possible. So I wanted to know if this is possible for a student going to any masters.

I would appreciate insight on this...
Artifexi
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TISrobin)
Hi everyone, I'm an undergrad who is planning to do a masters in the UK next year (probably).

I heard that some unis have this 'placement year' which allows students to get 1 year of experience in the industry, but I know this isn't guaranteed and only works if you actually secure it.

The question I have is, is the 1 year experience (placement year) something that only students who have that option in the university get? Or is it possible for other students who don't have that placement year route to get 1 year internships as well (of course this would have nothing to do with the university requirements in this case)?

So to make my question more clear, I wish to know if getting a 1 year internship is only the privilege of the students who have that option in their university or free for any student attending any university.

Most likely I will be going to the UK as an international student straight from undergrad, and I heard that I can receive a 2-year post study work visa, so I'm planning to spend the first year after graduation doing a 1-year internship if possible. So I wanted to know if this is possible for a student going to any masters.

I’m not really sure. Some unis you have to apply for a year in industry on UCAS when you apply, for others you may just have to indicate that you want to do it later on. It’s a mixed bag, if you find the universities you want to go to, you should probably check them individually
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

A placement year and an internship are different. A placement year is something attached to a specific university course, you can't do one unless your specific course offer it. An internship is separate to any degree programme and anyone can apply, according to the terms of the internship and their visa requirements.
TISrobin
Rep:
(Original post by threeportdrift)
A placement year and an internship are different. A placement year is something attached to a specific university course, you can't do one unless your specific course offer it. An internship is separate to any degree programme and anyone can apply, according to the terms of the internship and their visa requirements.
So am I eligible for any kind of internships (that are related to my degree of course) after completing my masters program in the UK? What I'm interested in knowing is whether there are no problems getting internships in London as a person who came out of masters.

I'm an international student but I don't think I will have any work experience going into the masters in the UK, so my plan is to use the 2-year Post Study Work Visa after the masters program to get a lot of work experience in the UK (by doing internships) and then think about what to do afterwards. Is this a viable method?
Last edited by TISrobin; 1 month ago
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
So am I eligible for any kind of internships (that are related to my degree of course) after completing my masters program in the UK? What I'm interested in knowing is whether there are no problems getting internships in London as a person who came out of masters.

I'm an international student but I don't think I will have any work experience going into the masters in the UK, so my plan is to use the 2-year Post Study Work Visa after the masters program to get a lot of work experience in the UK (by doing internships) and then think about what to do afterwards. Is this a viable method?
That will be down to the terms of your visa and the specific terms of each internship as advertised at the time. Internships are as individual as jobs in terms of who the employer wants to recruit.

It's not a very robust plan, unless you have financial backing, because internships, if paid at all, are paid very badly compared to a job.
TISrobin
Rep:
(Original post by threeportdrift)
That will be down to the terms of your visa and the specific terms of each internship as advertised at the time. Internships are as individual as jobs in terms of who the employer wants to recruit.

It's not a very robust plan, unless you have financial backing, because internships, if paid at all, are paid very badly compared to a job.
I already have financial plans in mind, but I know it's even less viable to straight look for jobs after graduation in the UK when I have no work experience, especially with visa sponsorship issues. Besides, I'm not that desperate to look immediately for jobs after graduation. For me it would be better to get some internship experience regardless of the level of pay, before looking for a job.

Furthermore, if I recall the Post study work visa we can receive after graduation from the MSc allows international students to do internships without the need for any sponsorship and other kinds of regulations. So visa won't be an issue for me with the post study work visa when it comes to working in the UK for 2 years.

As I mentioned, all I wish to know is whether companies in the UK generally freely accept MSc graduates as interns, given that I have the same conditions as the others with the post study work visa. This is very important to me, because at the very least I can go to study in the UK knowing that I can get a lot of internship experience under my belt for two years before returning back to my country for employment if I'm not able to get a job in the UK.
Last edited by TISrobin; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.15%
As I expected (64)
32.82%
Harder (72)
36.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.1%

Watched Threads