The Student Room Group

Private school pupils told to accept lower chances of Oxbridge entry

Original thread title: Oxbridge to ban private school children

We are not quite there yet, but things are moving in that direction....

"The vice-chancellor of Cambridge has warned private school pupils that they will lose out on Oxbridge places to state school peers in a bid to boost diversity.
Professor Stephen Toope, a Canadian who leaves his £365,000-a-year role this September after a series of bruising battles with 'woke warriors', said the ancient university has been working hard to boost its state school intake. "

what do you think ?

:holmes:

also, if you earned £1000 a day what would you buy ?

:beard:

Full story here:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/privately-educated-pupils-to-lose-places-at-oxbridge-vice-chancellor-warns-7crr2vlgx

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/05/04/oxbridge-plans-reduce-number-private-school-students/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10781001/Private-school-pupils-lose-Oxbridge-places-state-school-peers.html
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Isn't it 50/50 at the minute? I go to a private school, I'm not particularly concerned about it. If you and someone else are in a race, and you had a headstart, but finish at the same time, the other person would have won that race. Admissions tutors have to be fair, and oxbridge are always under a lot of scrutiny, so I'm not concerned.

If I earned that, I would buy a pool, pets, and a house in the countryside. WBU?
Reply 2
Original post by CatInTheCorner
Isn't it 50/50 at the minute? I go to a private school, I'm not particularly concerned about it. If you and someone else are in a race, and you had a headstart, but finish at the same time, the other person would have won that race. Admissions tutors have to be fair, and oxbridge are always under a lot of scrutiny, so I'm not concerned.

If I earned that, I would buy a pool, pets, and a house in the countryside. WBU?

i would buy some cheese
Original post by the bear

"The vice-chancellor of Cambridge has warned private school pupils that they will lose out on Oxbridge places to state school peers in a bid to boost diversity.
Professor Stephen Toope, a Canadian who leaves his £365,000-a-year role this September after a series of bruising battles with 'woke warriors', said the ancient university has been working hard to boost its state school intake. "

what do you think ?

This will have a profound impact on private schools. Why will parents want to spend all that money for their kids to be disadvantaged when applying to top unis? It would be quite interesting to see how this pans out.

I'd just buy the necessary stuff and save as much as I can until I don't have to work at all
i would buy some cheese

Reply 5
Original post by lesgo21
This will have a profound impact on private schools. Why will parents want to spend all that money for their kids to be disadvantaged when applying to top unis? It would be quite interesting to see how this pans out.

I'd just buy the necessary stuff and save as much as I can until I don't have to work at all

Labour will remove the charitable status from Independent Schools within a few days of returning to power.
Only foreign families will be able to afford private education here.
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766

halloumi to congratulate you :teehee:
Reply 7

what do you think ?

I go to a state school and i think that’s quite unfair. It’s defo unnecessary to say the least. You should always be judged on merit & grit. So if private school children have disproportionately more accolades and grit, then state schools just need to up their game by any means necessary
Original post by j25_8
I go to a state school and i think that’s quite unfair. It’s defo unnecessary to say the least. You should always be judged on merit & grit. So if private school children have disproportionately more accolades and grit, then state schools just need to up their game by any means necessary

Yeah, you must ensure that students are not punished for the type of school they go to. Give everyone a fair chance.
Original post by j25_8

Hard when state schools have bad funding, though. I agree with the merit bit, but private school kids tend to have better facilities, and also are from richer households which can afford tutors, private studying space, extra textbooks, etc. WP policies are very important, imho :smile:
Hard when state schools have bad funding, though. I agree with the merit bit, but private school kids tend to have better facilities, and also are from richer households which can afford tutors, private studying space, extra textbooks, etc. WP policies are very important, imho :smile:

We should be fully aware that there are a wide range of state schools. Also, there are plenty of families who are more than capable of sending their kids to private schools but choose not to so those kids may get private tutoring etc..

Those with more support should be held to a higher standard but it should be assessed on a case by case basis
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by j25_8

They don't have more "grit" though, and they only have more accolades because their parents could afford to buy them. Is that fair to pupils whose parents work in minimum wage jobs and can't even afford for them to go on field trips or to pay for books for them to read outside of their studies? They may well be just as good if not better than you in your proposed subject area but by your claim they should be limited by their parents income.

Which is the issue at hand. As indicated above, if someone has a head start and finishes at the same time as someone else, it's not exactly fair to say they are the winner over the other person who had to go further, faster, and work harder to get there.

Also as indicated above the split between state/private school students is not representative of the national population which clearly indicates private school students have a significant advantage in the current system.

Real money or Toope dollars? :tongue:

(also I think it's a little disingenuous to claim they are "banning" private school applicants)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by lesgo21
We should be fully aware that there are a wide range of state schools. Also, there are plenty of families who are more than capable of sending their kids to private schools but choose not to so those kids may get private tutoring etc..

Those with more support should be held to a higher standard but it should be assessed on a case by case basis

Much agreed, but that's why a lot of WP schemes are based on income too.

Agree again, but case by case would take too long, income or home location based WP works well, it seems?

50/50?
Reply 14
Original post by j25_8

as i have mentioned on previous threads, there is no reason why new colleges could not be established at Cambridge and Oxford for the exclusive use of disadvantaged "kids".
these colleges could be endowed by, and named after, companies such as Tesco, Sports Direct, McDonalds &c.
College gowns and scarves, which currently are rather dowdy affairs, would become multi-colored advertising hoardings.
10% of places would be allocated by lottery to "kids" with no qualifications whatsoever, as long as they have at least three convictions for anti-social behaviour and that.
Much agreed, but that's why a lot of WP schemes are based on income too.

Agree again, but case by case would take too long, income or home location based WP works well, it seems?

Yeah it is all about getting the right idea of the circumstances of each applicant.
Original post by Theloniouss
50/50?

It's why I phrased it as a question, but I found this:

" typically between 30% and 40% of Oxbridge undergraduates come from the private sector"

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/mar/24/one-oxford-college-has-96-of-students-from-state-schools-how-did-they-do-it

Not exactly 50/50, I was running off a rough memory.
Reply 17
Original post by artful_lounger
Real money or Toope dollars? :tongue:

(also I think it's a little disingenuous to claim they are "banning" private school applicants)

i'm lovin' the Toope Currency :rofl:

what do you think ?

Completely pointless whilst the price of university is so high. I heard you aren't allowed to work if you go to oxbridge, how is the average state school student going to be able to afford it?
Original post by eldogtor
Completely pointless whilst the price of university is so high. I heard you aren't allowed to work if you go to oxbridge, how is the average state school student going to be able to afford it?

they get a good amount of financial support from their college

Quick Reply