peachtornado
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,
I’ve decided I want to do a degree in Economics at uni but didn’t take it at A Level. I currently take maths, physics, geography and english lit at sixth form and wanted to know how difficult it would be without doing an a level in the subject.

Also what was it like at uni if anyone here has done it? Currently looking into Bath, Manchester, Leicester and Chester. Thanks
peachtornado
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by peachtornado)
Hi,
I’ve decided I want to do a degree in Economics at uni but didn’t take it at A Level. I currently take maths, physics, geography and english lit at sixth form and wanted to know how difficult it would be without doing an a level in the subject.

Also what was it like at uni if anyone here has done it? Currently looking into Bath, Manchester, Leicester and Chester. Thanks
crashcody
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I can’t speak about it at uni, but at a-level, a lot of the course is simply nailing structure. I do FM, M, Eco and Geography, and can say honestly that most of human geography is macro economics - around half the a level course. So you are more than capable of doing a degree in it.

Honestly the micro content is very minimal, and yes, Geography does miss some macro content (diagrams, policies etc), but nothing that a quick bit of studying could not fix.

I hear maths is much more important for uni economics anyways, and doing geog + literature will set you up for any essay writing - so you should be good.
peachtornado
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by crashcody)
I can’t speak about it at uni, but at a-level, a lot of the course is simply nailing structure. I do FM, M, Eco and Geography, and can say honestly that most of human geography is macro economics - around half the a level course. So you are more than capable of doing a degree in it.

Honestly the micro content is very minimal, and yes, Geography does miss some macro content (diagrams, policies etc), but nothing that a quick bit of studying could not fix.

I hear maths is much more important for uni economics anyways, and doing geog + literature will set you up for any essay writing - so you should be good.
Amazing thank you!
fluous
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by crashcody)

I do the same subjects (FM, M, Econ, Geography) but I would definitely argue that human geography can really vary depending on what board you do, and what modules your school chooses. We did human rights (I guess development could tie into this?), migration (could link into employment, labour markets, productivity), and place/space (deprivation + development highlighted) as the main human geography elements and honestly the only main link I can find between macro and human geography from my A-level course specifically, was the development section of economics- there's no diagram drawing in geography either. Regardless, you don't need to do economics A-level to do it at uni as long as you have a passion for it and are willing to do a little extra reading before a degree, especially since its a lot more mathematical than the A-level and pretty different.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (54)
69.23%
In the post (3)
3.85%
Text (10)
12.82%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (11)
14.1%

Watched Threads