This discussion is closed.
KtLangrick
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Does it count for stuff you've written about on your personal statement? I've got an offer from Cambridge for AAA (maths, phy and bio) for phy nat sci. On my actual ucas form + CAF in 'eams being taken' I only wrote my actual A level subjects but on my personal statement I wrote i was probably doing Advanced Extension and Olympiads in Phy and Bio. My letter said that the offer is 'conditional on me taking the examinations as detailed on my UCAS form'. Do i actually have to take all the exams mentioned on my personal statement?

Also, im doing Futher Maths but it didnt mention it in my offer. Theorectially, can I get an E in it (so I am still taking all the exams I said i was) and they'd still have to take me?

Sorry - v. long post - i know - jst trying to find a way to get out of all those extra maths units!
KtLangrick
Report 14 years ago
opps! sorry - didnt mean to post twice :P
khil
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
As far as I know any unis has the right to withdraw an offer if there were any false info on the forms. Never really read that too carefully myself but yeh they can withdraw the offer I think which is why you gotta notify them now so they don't think it was a deliberate lie.
khil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by KtLangrick)
Does it count for stuff you've written about on your personal statement? I've got an offer from Cambridge for AAA (maths, phy and bio) for phy nat sci. On my actual ucas form + CAF in 'eams being taken' I only wrote my actual A level subjects but on my personal statement I wrote i was probably doing Advanced Extension and Olympiads in Phy and Bio. My letter said that the offer is 'conditional on me taking the examinations as detailed on my UCAS form'. Do i actually have to take all the exams mentioned on my personal statement?

Also, im doing Futher Maths but it didnt mention it in my offer. Theorectially, can I get an E in it (so I am still taking all the exams I said i was) and they'd still have to take me?

Sorry - v. long post - i know - jst trying to find a way to get out of all those extra maths units!
I'm confused why did you say you were taking all those extra exams if you were never gonna take them......? Well if your PS said "probably" then I guess you won't have to take them cus you never said you were actually gonna do them. However just look at what the specified subjects and exams are for your Cambridge offer cus those are what matters.
KtLangrick
Report 14 years ago
Well I am 'probably' going to take them - i'm just not entirely sure - depends if I have enough time + dont want to take them if it menas I dont spend wnought time revising the my mains subjects and missing my offer. Should I notify them if I dont actually take them in the end?
khil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well I would notify them I think - cus it does you no harm if you notify them, but does you a LOT of harm if you don't and turns out you should've!
bOdOING2
Report 14 years ago
Did u ppl get the statement 'ur expected to take the exams said on ur UCAS forms' on ur offer letter from Cam or on the letter UCAS sent u??
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It really annoys them when people say they'll do exams and don't. For obvious reasons. So if you want to stay in their good books, it's probably best to just do the exams. Especially if they're AEAs - since you're not supposed to do any extra work for them it's only a three-hour paper.

The gap year query - you should be OK but it's probably best to inform them about the maths thing out of politeness if nothing else! They shouldn't be very worried about non-academic plans changing
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i notified them that I was going to drop physics (after telling them I was going to do 6 modules in a year), then just sat the exams anyway, and they got a surprise B from meeee!
SpyMaster
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Springhill)
Can Cambridge withdraw a conditional offer if you notified them of a mistake on the UCAS form, [after you had that offer?]

By mistake I mean that you wrote in the UCAS application that you got 10A*s, but that was a mistake and you actually got 9A*s and 1 A, but you didnt realise that until you had got back your certificates.
Just answering the first part of your question. I'm pretty sure the answer is yes (i.e. that they could withdraw the offer), but I'm also pretty sure that in this case they wouldn't. The difference is trivial, and the mistake is quite understandable. Best to contact the college as soon as possible and tell them the truth, and as I say I don't think there'll be any difficulty.
Lillith Grimore
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You guys have really freaked me out :p: I gave up Further Maths a little while ago due to issues with my teacher, not enjoying it and not needing it for any offers and stuff. And I was cool with that. And my Head of Sixth Form was cool with that. But this post made me get all worried and I've been stressing about it for days so my headmaster sent a letter to them this morning to stop me getting hysterical...
Toni Mag
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(i) They CAN withdraw if what you said made a difference in the selection process. In the case quoted (9A*+1A and not 10A*), I shouldn't worry.
(ii) Tell the truth, no matter what, because the WILL catch up with everything eventually, and they are likely to give you credit for honesty (it must have been a genuine mistake really, if you tell them now).
(iii) Offers ARE affected by dropping subjects etc. Be careful. I heard of someone whose offer was withdrawn, but that might be an urban myth.
SpyMaster
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by KtLangrick)
I would think you only have to take the exams mentioned on your UCAS form (i.e. not anything extra mentioned only in your PS), but if you're worried why not ask ? It won't do any harm.
phishfood
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i think if you presented your application as a 4/5 subject candidate, and having got an offer promptly drop a subject without telling them reflects badly on you. you might perhaps have got a lower offer than you would have done if applying with only 3 subjects, for example. that said, withdrawing an offer on these grounds is obviously over the top. in the case of AEAs, I doubt it matters at all, because at the end of the day they are not at all crucial exams, and if you decide not to take them, i doubt any admissions people will bat an eyelid.
Springhill
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
All is sorted now. Sent them an email, problem sorted, offer still stands, and changes are noted.

Note to above people, I did an extra GCSE in my AS year thus getting my exam certificate after my interview & offer result.

Thanks for help and support people.
spin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
All is sorted now. Sent them an email, problem sorted, offer still stands, and changes are noted.

Note to above people, I did an extra GCSE in my AS year thus getting my exam certificate after my interview & offer result.

Thanks for help and support people.
Excellent It's lovely when things get resolved..
SpyMaster
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Which although I expected it is very good news. I imagine it's a great weight off your mind.
MrKeen
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lauren18)
If you want to be really picky here then you have to consider the legal obligations faced by you and by Cambridge. A conditional offer is a legal offer and can be terminated in one of six ways:

1. By effective acceptance of the offer - applies to you

2. By rejecting the offer - applies to you

3. By revocation by the offeror prior to acceptance - does not apply to you as you are in the course of performing the offer's terms. As long as you do not vary the terms of the offer, the offer will remain open until any stated time expiration occurs.

4. By lapse of time - an offer ceases to be legally binding when an express length of time expires, or when a reasonable length of time expires. Basically you have until some point later in the year to accept the offer - April/May probably, unless Cambridge have stated otherwise. (I believe that Colleges ask you to indicate whether you will be accepting the offer - but this isn't binding and you don't have to accept any offers until you have received replies from ALL the universities to which you have applied).

5. By failure to fulfill a condition - this is the AAA offer, and unless you fulfill these requirements then the offer can be treated as repudiated (terminated) by Cambridge as you are in breach of its terms. If, therefore, they have stated 'AAA at A level in X, Y, and Z, and completion of your A level in W...' then you must do EVERYTHING stated to ensure your place. However, if they have said 'You are expected to complete all A levels not included in your conditional offer' then this is a wish, but not an obligation. However, I expect that somewhere on Cambridge/UCAS paperwork it states that conditional offers are made on the basis of all written and oral evidence given - and if you were found to have altered any exam results etc, then they would probably be entitled to refuse to accept you, but this is unlikely.

- The above point depends on so many things - at what point they find out your grades are incorrect, the extent of the misrepresentation (i.e. if you say you got an A and got a B then this is not likely to have much affect on your application should you achieve AAA. However, in the unfortunate circumstance that you get AAB and they know your grades were wrongly reported, they may look at other candidates more favourably in the Summer Pool) and loads of other aspects.

Oh and what you said about not realising the mistake until you got your certificates - sounds like a load of b*ll*cks to me as most people applying now have had their GCSE certificates for ages, certainly way before the Oxbridge deadline. Whether it is true or not, it doesn't sound very convincing and there is probably some legal loophole where they could revoke the offer, but it's pretty unlikely. The effect(s) of the mistake on the outcome of your application are negligible.

6. By death - hopefully this won't happen!

Overall, you must fulfill ALL of the terms of your offer in order to ensure a place. What would help is if you posted the exact wording of your offer and whether or not the mistake about grades is true or just something you were wondering. In any event, I would say the best thing is to let Cambridge know of any details like this ASAP, because if you are one of the unlucky people whose grades are checked and verified by UCAS then you could find yourself disappointed. Hope that helps. x
Life?
RObTRIP
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hey at our school a few years back one student wrote some naughty things in the yearbook about a teacher, she wanted it to be removed (ie re-printing like 200 yearbooks dream on), the guy didn't want to apologize and this student had his offer withdrawn from his first choice uni, from what i hear teachers cannot affect the offers but it appears she had!
Lillith Grimore
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
College phoned my school this morning and said they were perfectly happy for me to give up further maths and they appreciated me telling them phew!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads