The Student Room Group

Food anxiety?

I get very anxious about food, which foods I am eating, the textures of the foods and my health.
Is it a bad idea to replace most of my diet with huel?
Are you autistic? Autism causes anxiety around food tastes and textures.
Original post by Anonymous

I know why I feel the way that I do.

yikes
Original post by Nish2257
yikes

Why yikes?
Why yikes?

wat
I get very anxious about food, which foods I am eating, the textures of the foods and my health.
Is it a bad idea to replace most of my diet with huel?

Hi there.

The best thing to do is see your GP as you may have an undiagnosed eating disorder.

Best wishes :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

The best thing to do is see your GP as you may have an undiagnosed eating disorder.

Best wishes :smile:

Well that’s the thing, I don’t have a clinical eating disorder. However I do/ have had on and off difficulties with eating due to other mental health issues. Huel is really appealing but I don’t want to push myself over the edge as I am susceptible to EDs.
a person can not have a "clinical eating disorder" yet still have really disordered eating. it seems that your attitude towards foods is not normal/healthy, so best to speak to a GP, be honest, and they should be able to point you in the right direction (e.g. who to talk to, things you can do to help get better, etc.)
Original post by bl0bf1sh
a person can not have a "clinical eating disorder" yet still have really disordered eating. it seems that your attitude towards foods is not normal/healthy, so best to speak to a GP, be honest, and they should be able to point you in the right direction (e.g. who to talk to, things you can do to help get better, etc.)

Doesn’t disordered eating essentially mean a sub clinical eating disturbance? So therefore if your disordered eating was that disordered you’d have an eating disorder.
Doesn’t disordered eating essentially mean a sub clinical eating disturbance? So therefore if your disordered eating was that disordered you’d have an eating disorder.

yes
what I was getting at was that someone who has an eating disorder might not be able to get formally diagnosed if they don't quite meet the "criteria"; for example (bmi is kind of a flawed measure, but) a person can have a "healthy" bmi but still have anorexia, so may struggle to get the diagnosis and help they need if the diagnostic criteria require a bmi of a specific value
and as OP said, having other mental health issues may be a big factor. disordered eating (by this I mean eating habits that are unhealthy/not "normal", a bad relationship with food, etc.) might be due to an "eating disorder", or (/and) might be due to some other mental health issues like anxiety
it's a fuzzy field, and there's some overlap
(I'm not an expert, just speaking from experiences and knowledge)

Quick Reply

Latest