The Student Room Group

Are there online universitys out there

if so how good are they and if anybody has had any form of experience with online university how did you find it and would you recommend it to me
Original post by ////////////
if so how good are they and if anybody has had any form of experience with online university how did you find it and would you recommend it to me

Hi there

@PinkMobilePhone may be able to help :smile:

I haven't used one but the OU is correspondence and quite well respected also The University of London is running some online degrees this year too. Also courser offer a few degree from places such as Imperial but they are more masters than undergraduate.
(edited 1 year ago)
I'm with the Open University. I'm finding my experience with it to be very good, although some people do find it a bit isolating so I hear.

There's Arden as well but I have no experience with it personally.

Don't forget, some brick unis also offer distance learning versions of some of their courses.
My husband is studying BA Hons 3D Game Art with Buckinghamshire New University. They do this course either on campus, or via distance learning. My husband is doing the distance learning.
So it's worth looking into brick unis too, to see if any do the course you're wanting but remotely rather than on campus.

@////////////
Hello! There are a few online distance Universities now in the UK, most notably Arden University and the Open University (the latter has been around since the 1960's and shifted online as technology adapted)

I studied my MSc in Psychology at Arden and had a great time. Their Virtual Learning Environment is the best I have seen, and I have worked in education myself for nearly 10 years.

For any provider, if you want a holistic view of quality, have a look at their report from the QAA (a bit like Ofsted for Higher Education) and The Teaching Excellence and Student Outcomes Framework (TEF) report; both available online

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I'm with the Open University. I'm finding my experience with it to be very good, although some people do find it a bit isolating so I hear.

There's Arden as well but I have no experience with it personally.

Don't forget, some brick unis also offer distance learning versions of some of their courses.
My husband is studying BA Hons 3D Game Art with Buckinghamshire New University. They do this course either on campus, or via distance learning. My husband is doing the distance learning.
So it's worth looking into brick unis too, to see if any do the course you're wanting but remotely rather than on campus.

@PinkMobilePhone can I ask how your husband is finding this course and whether he had to submit a portfolio for the distance learning degree? I am looking at applying for September 2023 entry (animation degree, but I see that the first year is the same modules as Games Art), and it’s hard to find any one’s experience of studying with them in this way. Thanks!
Original post by Animator
@PinkMobilePhone can I ask how your husband is finding this course and whether he had to submit a portfolio for the distance learning degree? I am looking at applying for September 2023 entry (animation degree, but I see that the first year is the same modules as Games Art), and it’s hard to find any one’s experience of studying with them in this way. Thanks!

He's really enjoying the course, and he passed the first year with top grades in all modules.

Yes he did have to submit a portfolio as he was applying as a mature student, and doesn't have any A Levels. I don't know if they would necessarily require a portfolio if you were applying straight after A Levels.
As others have said, you can also look at Distance learning courses. Most universities should have a couple of these. These are the distance learning courses we offer [url=https://www.shu.ac.uk/Courses?page=0&perPage=5&query=&yearOfEntry=2022%2F23&modeofattendance[0]=1a42666a8a1b423ca0ca03632ec43419]Distance Learning | Sheffield Hallam University

While the course I did wasn't supposed to be distance learning, it was during Covid, and all my classes were online. This was for my MSc developmental psychology. Even though it was online I really enjoyed my course. I learnt a lot through the online lectures, and I was still able to be supported by staff members. There was also still a camaraderie around us student on the course. We created a WhatsApp group to keep in touch, and we were able to form friendships and support and help one another. I'm not sure how it works add something like the Open University, but at our university we learned through zoom as well as using the breakout rooms in zoom, so got a lot of time in small groups to discuss things, which helped our learning and also to build those friendships and connections.

Online learning can also be helpful because all the information that you need will be accessible to you, as in you will be able to re-watch the lectures (pre-recorded ones too) so that you don't miss anything, which will help you to do well.

If you think that an online learning course is the best thing for you, your learning, and your situation then you should try it.

I hope this helps.

- Rosie

Hey OP

This is a really great question. There are lots of distance learning offerings out there, I myself am about to start a part time degree with the Open University, whom I heard lots of great things about. From what I have learned, people can feel a bit isolated but I am super lucky that one of my best friends will also be studying this year so I will have a study buddy at least - might be an idea for you to try to link up with local distance learners (safely) via forums too if you start to feel it affecting you in that respect.

Lots of universities offer distance learning modules too, I cannot recommend any but someone created a good list here of universities that offer distance learning, this list isn't exhaustive though so check out any other unis you would be interested in as they might also offer online courses!

Wishing you the very best of luck!
Lee
Student Minds
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
He's really enjoying the course, and he passed the first year with top grades in all modules.

Yes he did have to submit a portfolio as he was applying as a mature student, and doesn't have any A Levels. I don't know if they would necessarily require a portfolio if you were applying straight after A Levels.

@PinkMobilePhone thank you so much. That’s great to hear the he is enjoying the course and doing so well! Fingers crossed that I get accepted 🤞🏻

Quick Reply

Latest