How does this make you feel ?

Watch this thread
Shdbsn
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I know someone who makes £400-600 a day driving a taxi. They can avoid tax with it as well. But us uni students are working our assess off to end up with a 25k job that will max out at 100k. 100k is for the best of the best of course. After tax that is 5500. The taxi driver is making around 2k a week, so 8k a month. After his expenses he’s raking home around 6.5k. How does that make you feel?
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I feel nothing tbh
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
do not know
CANUFEELMYHEART
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
No one is forcing you to go to uni and ‘work your ass’ lol, if you think that’s a better option then do it
Jack22031994
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Shdbsn)
I know someone who makes £400-600 a day driving a taxi. They can avoid tax with it as well. But us uni students are working our assess off to end up with a 25k job that will max out at 100k. 100k is for the best of the best of course. After tax that is 5500. The taxi driver is making around 2k a week, so 8k a month. After his expenses he’s raking home around 6.5k. How does that make you feel?
Good on them! You can always go and drive a taxi and do the same.
Little pecker
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yh but I’d rather not drive a taxi for a living

Maybe im coping but I wouldn’t swap my current job (make way less than 100k) for the taxi driving job
londonmyst
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm happy for them.
Hope they enjoy saving, spending or donating their income.
skylark2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If I wanted to drive a taxi I'd go drive a taxi. I don't.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
A few thoughts.

1) You know no taxi driver making that as they've been hit by uber then the pandemic.

2) You're significantly underplaying this mytical taxi drivers costs.

3) If taxi driving were that lucrative then trck drivers and bin lorry drivers and ever tom, **** and Harry would be doing it. Oh wait, yeah that's uber.

4) Earnings for 'the best of the best' don't top out at £100k. I'm pretty mediocre and took £80k last financial year in my 30s in the public sector.

5) In point 4 did I mention pension? Enjoy driving that mythical taxi in your 70s.

6) Evenings and weekends are fun, as is not cleaning up vomit.

7) Evading tax might be simple enough, but would've meant they didn't qualify for any government support when CV19 came.

8) Banks don't give no mortgages to people with proof of earnings.

9) Did you enjoy your first post on TSR?
Shdbsn
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Quady)
A few thoughts.

1) You know no taxi driver making that as they've been hit by uber then the pandemic.

2) You're significantly underplaying this mytical taxi drivers costs.

3) If taxi driving were that lucrative then trck drivers and bin lorry drivers and ever tom, **** and Harry would be doing it. Oh wait, yeah that's uber.

4) Earnings for 'the best of the best' don't top out at £100k. I'm pretty mediocre and took £80k last financial year in my 30s in the public sector.

5) In point 4 did I mention pension? Enjoy driving that mythical taxi in your 70s.

6) Evenings and weekends are fun, as is not cleaning up vomit.

7) Evading tax might be simple enough, but would've meant they didn't qualify for any government support when CV19 came.

8) Banks don't give no mortgages to people with proof of earnings.

9) Did you enjoy your first post on TSR?
1) I know a few taxi drivers earning that much, the demand is very high for London black cabs.

2) as they have a taxi they do not need to buy a personal car therefore saving some money. Even if costs where 20k a year, that’s about 380 a week which can be made back in a day of work.

3)only that it takes around 3-4 years to learn the knowledge and become a taxi driver in London, which not every Tom d*** and Harry can do.

4) after tax and students loans you are taking around 1k a week, a position not many university graduates can get to(80k). That took a university degree and 10 years experience im assuming. While the taxi driver can bring 1.5k+ a week without having to go through 10 years of experience, all those interviews, being told what to do by your boss, begging for holiday, ect.
4)80k is top 5% of earners. That’s not mediocre.
5)well the taxi drivers I know invested into properties abroad and in the Ik rapidly due to high income to the point where they can retire and live comfortably with rental income. Whilst you would have spent years getting to 80k therefore earlier in not making enough to invest into properties fast enough.
6)same could be said for 50% of other professions that need to work out of hours, such as doctors who study for years.
7)this don’t make sense. If they evade tax, and show low income they are much more likely to receive support or benefits than you will.
8) this point is true, but there always ways around that
9) it was my first post on STUDENT ROOM assuming I’ll discuss with other students, not 30+ year olds. Are you not supposed to be at work?
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
1) I know a few taxi drivers earning that much, the demand is very high for London black cabs.

2) as they have a taxi they do not need to buy a personal car therefore saving some money. Even if costs where 20k a year, that’s about 380 a week which can be made back in a day of work.

3)only that it takes around 3-4 years to learn the knowledge and become a taxi driver in London, which not every Tom d*** and Harry can do.

4) after tax and students loans you are taking around 1k a week, a position not many university graduates can get to(80k). That took a university degree and 10 years experience im assuming. While the taxi driver can bring 1.5k+ a week without having to go through 10 years of experience, all those interviews, being told what to do by your boss, begging for holiday, ect.
4)80k is top 5% of earners. That’s not mediocre.
5)well the taxi drivers I know invested into properties abroad and in the Ik rapidly due to high income to the point where they can retire and live comfortably with rental income. Whilst you would have spent years getting to 80k therefore earlier in not making enough to invest into properties fast enough.
6)same could be said for 50% of other professions that need to work out of hours, such as doctors who study for years.
7)this don’t make sense. If they evade tax, and show low income they are much more likely to receive support or benefits than you will.
8) this point is true, but there always ways around that
9) it was my first post on STUDENT ROOM assuming I’ll discuss with other students, not 30+ year olds. Are you not supposed to be at work?
1) oh, so that's London you're taking about? That makes it pretty miserable money then.

2) One doesn't need a car, especially if you live in a city.

3) Yet you made it sound so easy in your first post.

4) No, but it involved doing the knowledge and having to live/work in London. Perhaps if I worked in London rather than Glasgow I'd get paid more.

4) If you say so

5) Clearly you didn't realise I bought a place when I was on under £50k like eight years ago, had a lodger and then sold the place for £70k profit.

6) Difference being they choose to over and above their typical hours rather than needing to.

7) Without an NI record they won't be getting much. But yeah you're right, I had full job security throughout CV19. Cabbies were hammered.

8) Sure thing

9) Yeah sorry that you thought you were only gonna chat junk unopposed. I see you've not made any further posts since the two on this thread. So why did you bother?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads