The Student Room Group

People who got into Oxbridge for a Masters degree, how did you do it?

Hi, I’m a second year student in CS & Maths and due to personal circumstances, my grades have not been the best (I will be filing for extenuating circumstances). I am, however, still looking to apply to Oxford for a mathematics based masters degree and I’m looking for some things to help me stand out. I have been to conferences, I am trying to get some research in my field of study, and, by the time I will apply, I will have one of the highest professional certificates in information security. Is there anything else I can do to make my application stand out? What did you do?
@Sandtrooper @threeportdrift and @gjd800 I think all did various courses in different areas between the two of them and might be able to offer some pointers?

I don't think any were in CS or maths specifically though :tongue:

@RichE might be able to give some insight into what Oxford might look for in maths masters applicants as well?
Original post by Danterz
Hi, I’m a second year student in CS & Maths and due to personal circumstances, my grades have not been the best (I will be filing for extenuating circumstances). I am, however, still looking to apply to Oxford for a mathematics based masters degree and I’m looking for some things to help me stand out. I have been to conferences, I am trying to get some research in my field of study, and, by the time I will apply, I will have one of the highest professional certificates in information security. Is there anything else I can do to make my application stand out? What did you do?

I have NOT gotten into Oxbridge for masters; however I did get offers from every masters, PhD & postgrad funding application I made.

It really starts by being a qualified candid As a minimum, you need excellent academics. It’s going to be a minimum expectation, you need a relevant academic past i.e. undergrad provides sufficient scope that you won’t be out of your depth, and you need your referees at your institution to provide decent references.

After this you have the more variables that will help:
-work experience (ideally relevant, however even non directly related internships can usually be massaged on the resume).
-an upward academic trajectory… (someone who gets stronger as they get into more depth)
-demonstrate a passion beyond simply a number on the transcript, show that you have done things that show your passion for the subject..
-academic awards!

A lot also depends on the course some postgraduate masters are far easier to get into (even at Oxbridge/elite institutions their is a very wide variation in applications per offer) some it’s relatively easy if you are a qualified candidate others will be much tougher…
Reply 3
Original post by mnot
I have NOT gotten into Oxbridge for masters; however I did get offers from every masters, PhD & postgrad funding application I made.

It really starts by being a qualified candid As a minimum, you need excellent academics. It’s going to be a minimum expectation, you need a relevant academic past i.e. undergrad provides sufficient scope that you won’t be out of your depth, and you need your referees at your institution to provide decent references.

After this you have the more variables that will help:
-work experience (ideally relevant, however even non directly related internships can usually be massaged on the resume).
-an upward academic trajectory… (someone who gets stronger as they get into more depth)
-demonstrate a passion beyond simply a number on the transcript, show that you have done things that show your passion for the subject..
-academic awards!

A lot also depends on the course some postgraduate masters are far easier to get into (even at Oxbridge/elite institutions their is a very wide variation in applications per offer) some it’s relatively easy if you are a qualified candidate others will be much tougher…

Thank you so much, very thorough and helpful!!
Original post by Danterz

I can't add much more than mnot. I'm afraid I would not put too much stock in the extenuating circs application, of course I don't know the details, but usually these are taken in to account in the undergrad grading, and therefore the award stands, there can't be a double count with a further allowance from the receiving uni. Plus Cam have to be very particular about the details, an incident like a bereavement during the exam period might understandably ding grades, but Cam can be more certain that the individual is generally completely up to speed. What is more challenging is making allowances where larger parts of the UG course have been missed or sub par. Cam Masters are as merciless as UG courses in the pace they take and anyone who isn't academically up to speed is going to struggle.

Maths is generally one of the most competitive areas for Masters degrees, as UG Maths is held in such high regard, but it's not my area, so I can't really offer any benchmarks. As I understand it though, its very grades focussed and not much else counts or mitigates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending