The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

nas7232
Hello people

I have a B offer @ demontford but i'm put off cause i have to go to a college for the first 2 years :confused: .

Does anyone know if the uni is any good, i need a back up. I have a leeds interview coming up, hopefully i can use that as my back up choice.

Dude... you have an offer from Bristol and at a lesser extent, aston.

In my opinion, if you have an offer for Bristol reputation wise, you would be crazy to go to demontford...

Jason
I've never heard of Demontford, which is probably a bad sign because if it had a decent reputation, I probably would have done...Bristol, UCL and Aston (and Manchester and Leeds if they give you offers) all have good reputations, especially Bristol, UCL and Manchester. Out of interest, why do you only have to get B for Demontford, but BBB for the others? Since when do unis make offers for only 1 A-level? :confused:
Reply 3
Are you actually going to consider de monfort when you already have an offer from Bristol?? I have to agree with what others have said, forget de monfort. Its great for the vocational subjects, i.e fine art, couture fashion etc but less so for traditional subjects.
Reply 4
De Montford isn't that bad, but it's a newer university. On this site, most people have a bias towards Oxbridge and so will tell you anything less is rubbish. Others on your list have a better reputation though
It's nowhere near the likes of Bristol. I wouldn't give it a second glance if you have the option of a much higher quality place.
i've a friend there who said it was pretty awful; though that's only his opinion, of course. i'm sure it isn't that bad, but i don't think you could compare it to bristol or manc.
I wouldnt have even applied to somewhere like De Montford as iv heard that its supposed to be really bad (my friends dad teaches maths there). Bristol and UCL should be your top choices without a doubt. Did you not look at what it was like before you applied???
Reply 8
Thanks for the comments people :hello:

When i applied i had a choice of 8 unis that teach audiology

the two i left out were
Southampton - min grades required BBB/b - highest out of the lot
Swansea - CCC - my friends tell me i would get into alot of trouble with a racist gang living close by the uni lol [i'm a British Indian btw]

Right now, i regret applying to demontford, i thought it was a mid-table uni but i must of had blurred vision when i was reading the times book :creep:

I think i will get
A
A-C
A-C
A/B

If i get ACC, then i can't get into bristol or manchester [manchester min grades are BBB] so i need a back up choice.

I thought bristol was easily the best uni for me to study, i thought the area was well nice and people were really nice too. UCL is good but, i preferr the bristol area, and both have good reputations & accomondation.

I don't like bham area at all, so i wont be choosing aston as a back up.

mmh i dunno what to do, i get an offer/rejection from ucl tomorow.

would i be stupid to have:
Bristol/UCL [BBC/BBB]
Manchester/Leeds [CCC-BBB]

as my 1st and 2nd choice even though my insurance offer is higher than my firm offer.
Reply 9
ive just had an unconditional from de montfort for fine art, and i think their art department is fantastic, brilliant studios and facilities. im not sure about the more traditional academic subjects though.

one thing i will say though, any uni can have the best reputation but to me its all about personal preference. you get out what you put in
~*glitter*~
ive just had an unconditional from de montfort for fine art, and i think their art department is fantastic, brilliant studios and facilities. im not sure about the more traditional academic subjects though.

one thing i will say though, any uni can have the best reputation but to me its all about personal preference. you get out what you put in

Yes exactly-just because a uni has a great academic reputation then it doesn't mean it is right for you

I applied for chester over a lot of other really good places partly because the course i want is ok and also because at least i have a back up choice ( quite good right now seeing as I keep getting rejected from places so migt need a very low insurence)
Reply 11
Overall, the university is not that bad. Some subjects are good at the university, while some aren't.
Reply 12
sparklyteacosie
Yes exactly-just because a uni has a great academic reputation then it doesn't mean it is right for you

I applied for chester over a lot of other really good places partly because the course i want is ok and also because at least i have a back up choice ( quite good right now seeing as I keep getting rejected from places so migt need a very low insurence)

exactly, one of my friends got 11 A* at GCSE and 5 A's at A level, he had an offer from cambridge but turned it down to go to de montfort, purely because he was more suited to the course they offered

oh and may i add, hes loving every minute of it

you could go to a top notch uni, be unhappy and come out with a second class degree
OR
go to a not so highly reputable uni, be blissfully happy and come out with a first

to me, its all about you as an individual
Reply 13
The course comes first, then the university. That is my opinion.
Reply 14
In terms of course structure

Manchester has the best imo
then ucl

Bristol didn't really tell me about the course structure even after asking the interviewers in the interview.

Demontford for me has a bad course structure and i'm not sure about leeds.

Leeds ucas code was B611 whilst all my other 1ns were B610 :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Most course at De Monfort have low requirements, usually 160 points. Some courses have higher tariff points requirements from 200 or 240 and above. Overall, the university is not that bad.

I read somewhere that this university is good for art courses, architecture, and computing.
Reply 16
trev
Most course at De Monfort have low requirements, usually 160 points. Some courses have higher tariff points requirements from 200 or 240 and above. Overall, the university is not that bad.

I read somewhere that this university is good for art courses, architecture, and computing.
yeah it is, fantastic in fact. you need 240 to get onto fine art (which im doing next year)
Reply 17
~*glitter*~
exactly, one of my friends got 11 A* at GCSE and 5 A's at A level, he had an offer from cambridge but turned it down to go to de montfort, purely because he was more suited to the course they offered

:eek: What course was he doing??? Midwifery??? :eek:
~*glitter*~

:eek: Thats just stupid!
Reply 19
PQ
Choosing somewhere you will be happy and love the course over somewhere you'll be unhappy and hate the course is stupid? :smile:

Surely no body can hate Cambridge that much choose a University over it which is far less known.

If that person had his eye on DeMontfort in the first place, and considering his academic excellence, he wouldn't even need to apply to any where else but DeMontfort. Why apply to Cambridge in the first place if you will be refusing to go there?

It doesn't seem logical to me, sorry.

Latest

Trending

Trending