Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Come to Bristol hunny

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge to demontford is like taking 1 extreme to another.

If i didn't like cambridge i would look at better places where i would enjoy it but even it out with reputation of uni e.t.c

When the person leaves demontford they may have less money, less opportunities than if they went to cambridge. Then again, if they really liked demontford, then it's their choice.

Can someone tell me any positive points about demontford?

I wanna go bristol alicia, but im not sure if i'll get BBB, i'm not as smart as you :hello:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    Cambridge to demontford is like taking 1 extreme to another.

If i didn't like cambridge i would look at better places where i would enjoy it but even it out with reputation of uni e.t.c

When the person leaves demontford they may have less money, less opportunities than if they went to cambridge. Then again, if they really liked demontford, then it's their choice.

Can someone tell me any positive points about demontford?

I wanna go bristol alicia, but im not sure if i'll get BBB, i'm not as smart as you :hello:
    it's a large university in a nice city - good social opportunities.

it has many links with the bbc including opportunities for training and work experience which are hard to come by.

its dance course is rated excellent by times university guide. equally, the shoe design course is the best in the country, arguably the world - i've met people who have come from all over to do that course, including germany, otehr european countries and the states.

the equipment is good - it has a digital radio studio as well as an analogue one, and a very good student radio station.

no, it's not the most renowned place. no, it's not as established. but there are plenty of reasons people would choose to go there, mainly the courses offered - they're more vocational than other places, and more up to date (my boyfriend's doing a BSc in music tech there)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Surely picking the course and uni which is right for *you* rather than succumbing to preconceptions and peer pressure is a long way from being "stupid".....choosing to be unhappy (or even less happy) for the sake of appearances is truly stupid IMO
    Plus surely you cant tell what is right for you and what you would prefer without actually experiencing the uni (which you cant properly do). You generally chose the uni depending on what uni will be the best to enhance your career prospects and whether you enjoy it or not is just down to what you do when your at uni. If someone was to choose De Montford over Cambridge they are obviously lacking in information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Choosing somewhere you will be happy and love the course over somewhere you'll be unhappy and hate the course is stupid?
    I would be quite happy working as a train-driver. I would love the work, but I know that it would be just plain stupid of me to become one.

ReputationRep:
    The most important thing is to find a course you like to do, then choose the university. The course is more important than the university. People still employ you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    it's a large university in a nice city - good social opportunities.

it has many links with the bbc including opportunities for training and work experience which are hard to come by.

its dance course is rated excellent by times university guide. equally, the shoe design course is the best in the country, arguably the world - i've met people who have come from all over to do that course, including germany, otehr european countries and the states.

the equipment is good - it has a digital radio studio as well as an analogue one, and a very good student radio station.

no, it's not the most renowned place. no, it's not as established. but there are plenty of reasons people would choose to go there, mainly the courses offered - they're more vocational than other places, and more up to date (my boyfriend's doing a BSc in music tech there)
    my friends boyfriend is doing music tech, he's in his first year and he loves it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    The most important thing is to find a course you like to do, then choose the university. The course is more important than the university. People still employ you.
    exactly, its not like you are suddenly unemployable just because you chose de montfort over cambridge. thats just being childish

ReputationRep:
    Is De Montfort the one with different sites in completely different places, or I am thinking of somewhere else?

I thought De Montfort looked cool because it had a Fashion Buying degree

ReputationRep:
    De monfort has campuses in leciester and bedford.

Why do some people say de monford?

ReputationRep:
    Well for audiology i don't think it's right for me so im not gonna accept it. If it was a music-art course on the other hand @ leicester campus i would of. BTW my course would be at nottingham people's college, i have to find my own accomondation; imo thats kinda messed up big time :eek:

[few hours left before i hear from ucl today ]

ReputationRep:
    dat uni is relatively obscure on the reputation list in cmparison to Bristol etc.. if i was u i'd goto bristol. but u know i just figured i'm not u so its your choice..

peace

ReputationRep:
    I really find the whole idea that if you're clever you have to do such and such quite condesending, I am sure the person with 11A*s and 5As knew what he was doing a lot better than people here when he chose to do what he did. I have grades not far off from that and had chosen before I had my acceptance/rejection from Oxford that I wouldn't be going there, I simply didn't want to, it didn't interest me. I got rejected so the question was irrelevant.

If everybody on here who is criticising that choice doesn't change their viewpoint at some point, you will have a pretty poor life and you only have one of those.

I admire people who do what they want to do instead of what people make them think they should do.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and Nas, do what you want to do, not what reputations etc. make you think you want to do. You will be there for a good few years, enjoy it otherwise the experience will be wasted.

People's has good transport links btw. Only about 10-12 minutes walk out of the city centre (Nottingham) and next to the park and ride site. House prices in the immediate area are fairly high (it's not far from Mapperley Park) but close to it you have Hyson Green which is very cheap area to live in.

If you prefer the course at DeM, go there, if you prefer it elsewhere, go elsewhere, don't let the opinions of people who haven't got a mature viewpoint on the subject insist that you should go to Uni X or Y.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    Hello people

I have a B offer @ demontford but i'm put off cause i have to go to a college for the first 2 years :confused: .

Does anyone know if the uni is any good, i need a back up. I have a leeds interview coming up, hopefully i can use that as my back up choice.
    I've never heard of demontford :confused: Stick with Bristol and work hard for BBB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    De monfort has campuses in leciester and bedford.

Why do some people say de monford?
    they shouldn't say either - it's actually De Montfort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*glitter*~)
    my friends boyfriend is doing music tech, he's in his first year and he loves it
    my bloke's in his second year! he really likes the course too, and the city. gets a bit fed up with the uni sometimes but i think everyone does. their union is a bit poo though!

ReputationRep:
    The student union can improve some day if they do something about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    The student union can improve some day if they do something about it.
    i think it's the organisation he gets annoyed with. they've just built a new union building (including bar which is a "cross between a wine bar and a warehouse"!) but the ground floor is not owned by the union. this means any money you spend there doesn't go back to the union, it just goes to the sponsors. also, it means that the bar can't sell anything sold downstairs - including chips. they can't advertise anything apart from union events, etc etc. it just means there's lots of disagreements and it seems quite disorganised and not properly thought through.

ReputationRep:
    im going to de montfort to do my foundation year in art and design in sept 2006 and so far i havent had any negative comments about that uni, ive been told its a brilliant uni by:
    1) my photography lecturer
    2) my fine art lecturer
    and 3) my maths lecturer
    also random people that have said its good & ive been and had a look around and all i can say is they're right...
    It all depends on what course someone's doing and what their individual needs are as to whether they think a uni is good.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.