The Student Room Group

What A levels look better for a politician? (Maths or Religion, Ethics & Philosophy)

So I want to become a politician when I'm older and I know you don't technically need any specific qualifications to do that but I've been really unsure about my A level choices. Right now I'm doing History and Politics definitely but I'm torn about my third choice. I originally was going to do Philosophy but the sixth form I want to go to doesn't offer it (another one does but it's too far for me) so I'm thinking either Religion, Ethics & Philosophy or Maths. On one hand Religion, Ethics & Philosophy does incorporate Philosophy but is more RS (which I didn't do at GCSE level), and I've got a kinda iffy relationship with religion (I tend to stay on the more political side of philosophy), however I do enjoy ethical debates and essay writing. On the other hand, I don't despise Maths, but I hate on it as much as the next person. For an idea of how good I am, I'm pretty solidly getting 8's in Maths GCSE right now (and last mock I was 6 marks from a 9) though it does burn me out easily. I thought of this because I was pretty set on doing a History & Politics degree but now I'm considering PPE and it would be a break from 2 essay subjects (but every maths a level horror story does scare me). I was wondering if anybody who did either of this A levels or something similar could give advice?
Reply 1
If I were you I'd go for Religion, Ethics & Philosophy. If you don't like maths now you'll regret choosing it at A Level, also politics seems to involve a lot more ethics than maths
You don't need A-levels to become a politician and no subjects are preferred or even particularly useful. The superficial content regarding ethics or politics involved in any of those A-levels will rapidly become eclipsed by the realities of the role, or even a first year module in a degree programme if you plan to go on to uni.

Note that the vast majority of PPE degrees either outright require A-level Maths or implicitly expect it (such as for Oxford, which indicates it's only recommended/preferred, but looking at admissions statistics you can clearly see in any given year more than 95% of successful applicants will be taking it).

Quick Reply

Latest