Electric fields vs magnetic fields

Watch this thread
Htx_x346
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Why do particles in an electric field not follow circular motion? Ik in a magnetic field they do.
Skiwi
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Htx_x346)
Why do particles in an electric field not follow circular motion? Ik in a magnetic field they do.
Pretty sure it's because in a magnetic field the force applied is always perpendicular to the particles motion, but in an electric field this is not always the case.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Charged particles in an electric field experience a force in the direction of the field lines. However there's no such thing as magnetic charge; F = qv×B for electrically charged particles in magnetic fields; it's impossible for the force on a charged particle to be parallel to the magnetic field.
So the point isn't why don't charged particles undergo circular orbits in electric fields, it's why don't charged particles follow the field lines of magnetic fields
Htx_x346
Rep:
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Charged particles in an electric field experience a force in the direction of the field lines. However there's no such thing as magnetic charge; F = qv×B for electrically charged particles in magnetic fields; it's impossible for the force on a charged particle to be parallel to the magnetic field.
So the point isn't why don't charged particles undergo circular orbits in electric fields, it's why don't charged particles follow the field lines of magnetic fields
Thank u, but now I'm confused about that last sentence. Why don't they follow the field lines?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Htx_x346)
Thank u, but now I'm confused about that last sentence. Why don't they follow the field lines?
Electric field lines are described as the direction in which a positive charge would experience a force. Magnetic field lines are different because there's no magnetically charged particles. Rather, the field lines define the direction along which an electric dipole would align itself. I think. EM definitely isn't my strong suit.
Htx_x346
Rep:
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Electric field lines are described as the direction in which a positive charge would experience a force. Magnetic field lines are different because there's no magnetically charged particles. Rather, the field lines define the direction along which an electric dipole would align itself. I think. EM definitely isn't my strong suit.
Ty
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.58%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (42)
25.45%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.52%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.45%

Watched Threads