biology chemistry and geography

Watch this thread
isla._.norman
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm currently choosing for my a levels, I'm thinking about taking biology chemistry and geography but not sure if they'll be too difficult. in my mocks i got 8 in chemistry 7 in biology and 8 in geography. I'm not sure what career path id like to go down but am considering marine biology. can anyone who does or did these subjects with similar grades help me out with info on work load or just some advice?
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Tell me which one you prefer
Fireyfox123
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm in year 13 and I do the exact subjects. Instead I got 9s for all at GCSE. The only thing I will say that the sciences are very demanding but geo is not as bad. Though I say that the content for Geo is quite overwhelming at Alevel
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
How to Choose 6th Form Subjects - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...-your-subjects
isla._.norman
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
How to Choose 6th Form Subjects - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...-your-subjects
thank you this was acc helpful
isla._.norman
Rep:
(Original post by Fireyfox123)
I'm in year 13 and I do the exact subjects. Instead I got 9s for all at GCSE. The only thing I will say that the sciences are very demanding but geo is not as bad. Though I say that the content for Geo is quite overwhelming at Alevel
okay thank you, do you mind telling me what you got in maths? just wondering about the mathsy side of chemistry.
Fireyfox123
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by isla._.norman)
okay thank you, do you mind telling me what you got in maths? just wondering about the mathsy side of chemistry.
I got an 8 in maths and ngl at first glance the maths in chemistry may seem quite complex and intimidating. But tbh it's just practice at the end of the day and I tend to gain the highest marks in them. I can promise you will not be at a disadvantage for not doing maths at A-level
isla._.norman
Rep:
(Original post by Fireyfox123)
I got an 8 in maths and ngl at first glance the maths in chemistry may seem quite complex and intimidating. But tbh it's just practice at the end of the day and I tend to gain the highest marks in them. I can promise you will not be at a disadvantage for not doing maths at A-level
okay thank you that's reassuring!
thrush
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm currently choosing for my a levels, I'm thinking about taking biology chemistry and geography but not sure if they'll be too difficult. in my mocks i got 8 in chemistry 7 in biology and 8 in geography. I'm not sure what career path id like to go down but am considering marine biology. can anyone who does or did these subjects with similar grades help me out with info on work load or just some advice?
i do all 3 for alevels and am sitting my exams lol this month
i got 9s in all for gcses

workload for bio is massive and exam questions are rlly hard, i thought hard work would be enough but you kind of have to put in 2x effort than if ur studying chem even though that's another science
chem is easier than i thought, practicing exam questions is so effective and helps a lot and the maths is so satisfying to do like there will be 6 markers on the easiest calculation questions. I hated maths at gcse but with chemistry it's just using a calculator and calculating new amounts of substances.
geo- the workload is less in comparison to bio but the content for physical is kind of boring. human geo is fun
geo is like tolerable, you can put less effort and do well but still need to not slack off to consistently get As

Its easier to get an A* in geo and chem than it is to get an A in bio (for me)
University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi isla._.norman,

I am currently studying marine biology and coastal ecology at the University of Plymouth and about to go into my third year (scary stuff haha). Those are some pretty neat grades you have there, definitely suggests that you can follow 'whichever path you desire'. But by the end of the day it comes down to personal choice and whether you are willing to put the work in. Personally, I took Geography, Product design, and Biology at A-levels achieving AAB. At GCSE I took combined science achieving a 77 and geography, a 6 and I was able to tackle studying biology and geography for A-levels. But no matter what grades you achieve at GCSE, at A-levels, it's all about taking the next step, and what else can you bring to the table no matter the subject for those top grades. All I can suggest is that you study whatever makes you feel happy and you believe you can handle. A-levels are a step up, but if you can do them, you can do anything, honestly!

A lot of degrees may also have many pathways into them, independent of your A-Level choices altogether, or even if you don't achieve the grades you would have hoped for. A foundation year for example is one way which brings you up to speed for a particular degree working on the important aspects and testing whether or not it could be a right fit for you. So even if last minute you change your mind and decide this isn't what you want to do, no door is ever closed if you strive to reach it and work hard. Believe me, if I can do it, so can you .

If you are interested in marine biology, check out the University of Plymouths various marine biology courses offering multiple one of a kind courses, we are Britain's ocean city for a reason: Click on each course to check it out

- Marine Biology
- Marine Biology and Coastal Ecology
- Marine Biology and Oceanography

Thalia - University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep :parrot:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads