Alkenes a level

Watch this thread
helloiambored
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I really don't understand the content for alkenes and have a test on Monday could anyone give some advice. I can't even find any good videos on YouTube and I don't think my teacher would sit there and teach me the topic again.
flamingolover
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
its been a while since I've done alkenes! I remember khan academy being good.
https://www.khanacademy.org/science/...y-khan-academy
aliaa03
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
elliot rintoul for AQA or machemguy if you do OCR, go through the alkenes section in the specification and cross things off as you learn them, e.g the diff organic reactions, testing for an alkene using bromine water, etc. Draw out mechanisms again and again till you remember them !! if your textbook sucks at explaining it you could try looking in a CGP revision guide or even just asking a friend to run through the topic with you
helloiambored
Rep:
(Original post by aliaa03)
elliot rintoul for AQA or machemguy if you do OCR, go through the alkenes section in the specification and cross things off as you learn them, e.g the diff organic reactions, testing for an alkene using bromine water, etc. Draw out mechanisms again and again till you remember them !! if your textbook sucks at explaining it you could try looking in a CGP revision guide or even just asking a friend to run through the topic with you
thank you so much!
Last edited by helloiambored; 1 month ago
bl0bf1sh
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
chemguide tends to give nice explanations
https://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicp...lkenemenu.html

a mechanism essentially shows the steps that occur when a reaction is taking place – where electrons move, and the order in which bonds are broken and formed.
you start with the reactants, use a "curly arrow" to show where a pair of electrons is moving to – you make bonds and break bonds. in reactions with multiple steps (most reactions) you'll have an (or multiple is there are many steps) "intermediate", and eventually you get to the product
LucyL5367
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
alley chemistry on youtube - the goat 🐐
Medic Mind
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by helloiambored)
I really don't understand the content for alkenes and have a test on Monday could anyone give some advice. I can't even find any good videos on YouTube and I don't think my teacher would sit there and teach me the topic again.
Heya! Chemistry is hard but with enough revision and dedication I'm sure you'll get amazing grades! First of all, I would recommend to perhaps making a mind map of the whole organic chemistry section as they do all connect, so perhaps visualising it in that way would make it easier for you (colourcode it as well!)? It certainly helped me at the time!
I can recommend you a number of resources that you can access! Here is a link to free revision notes and free past papers which are seperated by topics. You can go over them and then look at the mark schemes and see how different your answer is and take a note of how you can improve your answer to score maximum points! As well as this, here is a link to a Youtube channel that goes over the chemistry material such as alkenes. If it helps, we also offer A-Level Chemistry Online course that could help you understand the material better!
Hope this helps and good luck!
Milena G.
Study Mind
helloiambored
Rep:
thank you so much everyone. Just a quick question for the mechanisms for example the halogenation of alkenes do I only need to know how to do it or do I have to be able to explain what happens. Like do I need to know that the pi bond interacts with the electrons in Br-Br bond causes it to be polarised etc.?
a89dn9d
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by helloiambored)
thank you so much everyone. Just a quick question for the mechanisms for example the halogenation of alkenes do I only need to know how to do it or do I have to be able to explain what happens. Like do I need to know that the pi bond interacts with the electrons in Br-Br bond causes it to be polarised etc.?
you may be asked to explain why the bromine molecule (or other molecules like HBr) reacts with the alkene where you would be expected to explain how this happens. not sure how much it differs between exam boards but for aqa id say something like the area of high electron density (C=C bond) induces a dipole in the Br-Br molecule causing one to become delta positive and one delta negative. the delta positive Br is attracted to the area of high electron density and forms a bond with one of the pairs of electrons maybe thats a bit more detail than is needed in most questions (mainly like 2 markers) the main part is the induced dipole in the molecule caused by the double bond !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (40)
26.32%
As I expected (49)
32.24%
Harder (56)
36.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.61%

Watched Threads