Why are AQA A-Level History Grade Boundaries so low?

Watch this thread
hamlethoratio
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
In 2019, to get an A* you needed 76.5% in AQA A-Level History. This seems extremely low? My school have been saying in the mock that you need 95% for an A* and when I had 93% in the mock they said it was an A+ (despite getting the highest in my year and you’d think they’d give someone an A*)

Have my school just totally messed up the grade boundaries or is there some reasoning behind this? Perhaps this is an odd question but the 2019 grade boundaries just seem so so low and I’m now wondering if my teachers have even marked the essays properly as surely with 2019 boundaries being so low, it must be really hard to get something like 90+%?

I’m just really confused and sort of want to know if the grade boundaries are likely to be this low for the exams this summer! And it that case will everyone in my school probably do way better haha?
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Was the mock you did at school the actual 2019 paper from AQA? If not, then you can't judge it based upon the actual grade boundaries for that paper. The grade boundaries move around each year, and vary from exam board to exam board. For history, they also vary quite a lot based upon the options you're doing.

It's possible that your school set a paper which was slightly easier than a real A level paper, and if they did they'll have needed to set the grade boundary accordingly. Having said that, it's difficult to imagine how easy they'd have needed to make it to warrant moving the A* grade boundary by as much as they did.

Alternatively, they may have simply be lying to you. I've known some teachers set artificially high boundaries to make their students study harder, in the hope that it will yield better results in the actual exams. Their concern would be that if you knew you were hitting an A* in the mock, you might relax a little and therefore miss that grade in the actual exam.
hamlethoratio
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by DataVenia)
Was the mock you did at school the actual 2019 paper from AQA? If not, then you can't judge it based upon the actual grade boundaries for that paper. The grade boundaries move around each year, and vary from exam board to exam board. For history, they also vary quite a lot based upon the options you're doing.

It's possible that your school set a paper which was slightly easier than a real A level paper, and if they did they'll have needed to set the grade boundary accordingly. Having said that, it's difficult to imagine how easy they'd have needed to make it to warrant moving the A* grade boundary by as much as they did.

Alternatively, they may have simply be lying to you. I've known some teachers set artificially high boundaries to make their students study harder, in the hope that it will yield better results in the actual exams. Their concern would be that if you knew you were hitting an A* in the mock, you might relax a little and therefore miss that grade in the actual exam.
It wasn’t the 2019 paper, basically, they used 1 question from the 2019 paper, 2 questions from the 2020 paper and 1 from the 2018.

So the fact it is past papers means they should use some form of AQA Grade Boundaries I think. I mean the grade boundaries in 2018 and 2020 were slightly different but only by a couple of marks and it was very similar still (it does not constitute the extremely high grade boundaries the school made). The fact that we have 40 students taking history and no one got an A* overall (I even got 100% on my paper 1) it just seems odd and can’t be reflecting how well students have done in our year.

Oh I suppose it could be that and I do hope it is just the case that they’re lying to us as that would make me feel better haha. It is quite stressful though as I would like an A* overall in history. Thank you for your reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (41)
25.95%
As I expected (52)
32.91%
Harder (58)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.43%

Watched Threads