The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Allocated to Stephenson

Hi! Could anyone give an insight to what Stephenson is like at Durham? As I have heard mixed things, and didn't rank it in my preferences so I was a bit gutted to find out my allocation (think I have just been unlucky really!) Or has anybody else been allocated here for 2022? For example, I know they have formals but not gowned- is this a major set back to the Durham experience?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! Could anyone give an insight to what Stephenson is like at Durham? As I have heard mixed things, and didn't rank it in my preferences so I was a bit gutted to find out my allocation (think I have just been unlucky really!) Or has anybody else been allocated here for 2022? For example, I know they have formals but not gowned- is this a major set back to the Durham experience?

Hi. I visited there on offer holders day and thought it was lovely. The bar area was by far the nicest I saw of the hill colleges and the accommodation was just as good. It had a very laid back vibe, with lovely outside areas. In terms of gowns, she said she liked that formals were not gowned as you actually got to show off what you are wearing. Made sense to me.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Hi, I mostly agree with the other user, the bar is amazing and I really liked that it was made to look like an old train station. You'll also have big gardens and a sport facility. My college has gown formal but I would say that having them or not is not a deal breaker, most people go to formal to have fun and spend time with friends so gowns are not important

Hi there

I've been to Stephenson thrice and I really loved the vibe there. Their bar literally has a performance stage, a snooker table, a piano, *comfy* sofas, chairs/tables and even a karaoke set with a huge TV screen. There's much more but this is just what I can remember right now. The bar is completely wooden so it looks old but chic. They have a really cheap gym membership- £20. I don't think the non-gowned formals should be much of a drawback- you still get to wear them on matriculation and graduation. There's a mound right outside from where you can watch really scenic views. You can find the room images here. I'm linking down their Instagram pages if that helps:
https://www.instagram.com/stephenson.jcr/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/stephenson_college/?hl=en

Do also follow @thedurhamstudent on Instagram and Tiktok. You can find more about life at Durham uni on there and we'll be posting some college tours soon as well :smile:

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there

I've been to Stephenson thrice and I really loved the vibe there. Their bar literally has a performance stage, a snooker table, a piano, *comfy* sofas, chairs/tables and even a karaoke set with a huge TV screen. There's much more but this is just what I can remember right now. The bar is completely wooden so it looks old but chic. They have a really cheap gym membership- £20. I don't think the non-gowned formals should be much of a drawback- you still get to wear them on matriculation and graduation. There's a mound right outside from where you can watch really scenic views. You can find the room images here. I'm linking down their Instagram pages if that helps:
https://www.instagram.com/stephenson.jcr/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/stephenson_college/?hl=en

Do also follow @thedurhamstudent on Instagram and Tiktok. You can find more about life at Durham uni on there and we'll be posting some college tours soon as well :smile:

Hi! I was not allocated to Stephenson but wondered if a financial program offered at a particular college would be enough incentive for transfer, particularly if it would impact my university experience? Thank you :smile:
Hi! I was not allocated to Stephenson but wondered if a financial program offered at a particular college would be enough incentive for transfer, particularly if it would impact my university experience? Thank you :smile:

Hi there

Unfortunately, the only transfer requests they accept are if you have a medical condition that is not catered for in your college. Any other reasons are simply not entertained. However, most colleges do have some financial support available for current students. I can find the same for your college if you let me know which one you've been allocated to. The same goes for separate departments. They have financial awards available if you achieve a top score in one module etc. and can be found on the department info page on the website.

Also, here are some budgeting tips that might help: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/life/student-budgeting; https://www.dur.ac.uk/student.finance/current/manage/budget/

You can also take up a part-time job to support your expenses. These could be on-campus opportunities or local part-time work. They are advertised on the Careers portal with all the relevant information you need to apply. You can access this portal once you have your login id (four letters and two numbers, eg. abcd12) from Durham.

(edited 1 year ago)
Hi,
I’ve just found out I was also allocated to Stephenson despite not putting it in my ranking of colleges! I’m also feeling a little bit unsure about it but hopefully it will be ok! :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest