The Student Room Group

Conclusion type question

Anyone know why for question 2, "Driving is often safe" the answer is Yes ?

I feel like the question is ignoring, "Driving can sometimes result in accidents" - knowing this we know driving is sometimes dangerous.

Therefore, surely we cannot conclude, "Driving is often safe".

(I would also appreciate if someone gives some tips on how to speed up on these questions - I seem to be spending far too long compared to the average person).
(edited 1 year ago)
tell me more
Reply 2
Original post by tinyperson
tell me more

Hi there! I hope you can see the question fully now - I had to edit it earlier, if not please let me know :smile:
Focus on the positives and negatives
Original post by As.1997
Anyone know why for question 2, "Driving is often safe" the answer is Yes ?

I feel like the question is ignoring, "Driving can sometimes result in accidents" - knowing this we know driving is sometimes dangerous.

Therefore, surely we cannot conclude, "Driving is often safe".

(I would also appreciate if someone gives some tips on how to speed up on these questions - I seem to be spending far too long compared to the average person).

Must admit, Id be a bit wary as well and the other people answering it look 50/50. The "can sometimes result in accidents" would imply that "driving is often safe" as it implies that accidents dont happen very often. So Id probably go for yes, but I wouldn't be certain.
Reply 5
Road safety laws in place would indicate that it should be safe to drive (+ve) but since sometimes accidents happen, driving is sometimes dangerous (-ve).

Not sure how this changes the situation. The only thing one I can see is one could assume if it is sometimes dangerous then other times it must be safe. Therefore, sometimes it is dangerous and sometimes it is safe. But I don't see why the answer says driving is "often" safe.
Original post by As.1997
Road safety laws in place would indicate that it should be safe to drive (+ve) but since sometimes accidents happen, driving is sometimes dangerous (-ve).

Not sure how this changes the situation. The only thing one I can see is one could assume if it is sometimes dangerous then other times it must be safe. Therefore, sometimes it is dangerous and sometimes it is safe. But I don't see why the answer says driving is "often" safe.

Id somewhat agree with that. It really depends on what is meant by often and sometimes and Im not sure the question is 100% clear on what they mean. I guess Id go with the "common sense" (though that is certainly not always a good idea with these questions) interpretation that accidents are relatively rare because of the laws, but they are still dangerous because they can cause serious accidents. Therefore it is often safe to drive, because of the rules of the road. However, this is padding the given info a bit, but ...
Reply 7
Original post by mqb2766
Id somewhat agree with that. It really depends on what is meant by often and sometimes and Im not sure the question is 100% clear on what they mean. I guess Id go with the "common sense" (though that is certainly not always a good idea with these questions) interpretation that accidents are relatively rare because of the laws, but they are still dangerous because they can cause serious accidents. Therefore it is often safe to drive, because of the rules of the road. However, this is padding the given info a bit, but ...

Thanks!

I want to add that it is always a pleasure to hear from you!
Original post by As.1997
Thanks!

I want to add that it is always a pleasure to hear from you!

And you, thought youd "moved on"?
Reply 9
Original post by mqb2766
And you, thought youd "moved on"?

ahh so now I'm finally a medic :smile:

But I still like doing these from time to time for a bit of fun and just to improve my aptitude skills in general :smile:
Original post by As.1997
ahh so now I'm finally a medic :smile:

But I still like doing these from time to time for a bit of fun and just to improve my aptitude skills in general :smile:

Well done and its good to keep your hand in (you're weird).
Reply 11
Original post by mqb2766
Well done and its good to keep your hand in (you're weird).

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest