The Student Room Group

question about Disabled Students' Allowance for university..

I've got a condition where a lot of walking is difficult for me. I can walk for a little while but will be in pain, and constant back-and-forths everyday between uni/accom/library etc. will cause me problems. So I may need to use public transport/taxis to get around, so would be spending a lot more than the average student.

So I asked at my DSA meeting about whether travel allowances are possible to reimburse these extra travel costs and they said no. I can only get reimbursed the extra cost of a taxi if I am unable to take public transport.

This doesn't make any sense to me as say I am in a lot of pain and need to take a bus, I won't get reimbursed for this? Even though it's my disability that's making me need to take public transport? I would only get reimbursed if I took a taxi, and only the couple of £s it would cost me extra than taking the bus? But ONLY if I was unable to take a bus/train, not because of my disability?

Is this correct, and if so is anyone able to explain to me why this is? It's just kinda confusing me as I originally thought being unable to walk was a good enough reason to get reimbursed on the extra travel costs a student would have to pay.

Do you have a driving licence? There are schemes ( outside of DSA) in place for financing vehicles for the disabled. The Uni would then in most cases give you a permit to park on campus.
Yeah but I'm going to uni in London sooo idk if I wanna drive around in central lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending