This discussion is closed.
Carelesswhispers
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Does toothpaste on spots really work ie help them go down. Anyone know of any other home remedies or shop bought stuff to help spots/blemishes?
Ghost
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nope it doesent help atall..
ponjavic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by _mad_moo_)
Does toothpaste on spots really work ie help them go down. Anyone know of any other home remedies or shop bought stuff to help spots/blemishes?
Has worked pretty good for me sometimes, and sometimes not at all but it has never made it worse so try it!
viciouscircle
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
toothpaste will dry out the spot but it's not recommended because more often than not you're left with a red mark on the skin.
Blackmarket Boy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It worked for me but I guess it depends on the toothpaste - find one with bicarbonate of soda I think....man how sad does that make me sound
enigmatic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Toothpaste for spots is nothing...try Roaccutane :cool: (its the most powerful acne drug but has loads of side affects. And you have to have quite bad spots to get it )
muncrun
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by enigmatic)
Toothpaste for spots is nothing...try Roaccutane :cool: (its the most powerful acne drug but has loads of side affects. And you have to have quite bad spots to get it )
True. But that stuff increases probability of suicide in that person by about eightfold...
Carelesswhispers
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Originally posted by enigmatic
try Roaccutane (its the most powerful acne drug but has loads of side affects. And you have to have quite bad spots to get it )
eek - i just want something to deal with he odd spot before an important party/date/night out etc
enigmatic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by muncrun)
True. But that stuff increases probability of suicide in that person by about eightfold...
I'm on my 8th week of it now and the only thing that has got me down is the fact that I havent seen that much improvement on my chin (which is the only place i get them quite bad). Maybe its just the fact that i expected a quick improvement. I dont have any spots on my forehead or cheeks now (just red makrs, but thankfully not scars because I have never had large spots apart from one on my chin )
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I use surgical spirit to dry up an urgent spot - OW! but it stops it from being all seepy so you can at least cover it up with make up.
n.b. these are generally not good skincare suggestions! Only for use in an emergency
muncrun
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm on my 8th week of it now and the only thing that has got me down is the fact that I havent seen that much improvement on my chin (which is the only place i get them quite bad). Maybe its just the fact that i expected a quick improvement. I dont have any spots on my forehead or cheeks now (just red makrs, but thankfully not scars because I have never had large spots apart from one on my chin )
Hang in there fella

My brother once took them, as nothing else seemed to work. He had side effects such as bouts of mild depression, and quite bad pain in his joints. I think it works by drawing water away from the surface of the skin - so he also had extremely dry lips (until he discovered vaseline). Do you get any of that?
muncrun
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Also, it took a fair while until he noticed any difference, but when they did evntually 'kick in', the acne cleared up very quickly.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Try this- 5% benzoyl peroxide. Its marketed as a cream or a gel. There's loads of brands like Oxy5 or Panoxyl 5. The instructions tell you to put it on your spots once a day but its best to put loads on twice a day. (and then moisturise like mad) i've been doing it for a week and as well as preventing spots it makes them go away quicker. The only side effect is that it stings like a (insert rude word here) the first few times you apply it until your skin is used to it.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I use a tea tree stick from Avon. Tis brilliant
djk_99
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
try Vitamin E cream to stop you getting spots in the first place. Tea Tree blemish sticks (the one from The Body Shop is good) for reducing spots overnight. Or else a good concealer!! -x-
Sam_B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
roaccutane is good, its working for me. i have real dry lips though
PublicSchoolAnn
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I once used nail varnish remover because i had run out clinique clarifying lotion.
Slice'N'Dice
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Toothpaste on spots has never worked for me. Oh well.
enigmatic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by muncrun)
Hang in there fella

My brother once took them, as nothing else seemed to work. He had side effects such as bouts of mild depression, and quite bad pain in his joints. I think it works by drawing water away from the surface of the skin - so he also had extremely dry lips (until he discovered vaseline). Do you get any of that?
I get quite dry lips, but I bought one of those moisturising lipsticks (which looks as if i'm putting on lipstick itself :p: ) to make them less dry. I have only had pain in my legs once (on xmas day :rolleyes: but it only lasted an hour). As for the depression, thankfully I haven't really experienced any, I just get upset if my spots get a bit worse for a day. I don't have severe acne, just moderate, but it still affects my self-confidence a lot - much more than anything else ever has, and since my spots suddenly got worse last year, I wasn't used to having something make me less self-confident. But hopefully by about 2 months time, they should have improved quite a bit (my doctor says it should take about 4 months in total). Thanks for your advice
enigmatic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by [email protected])
Try this- 5% benzoyl peroxide. Its marketed as a cream or a gel. There's loads of brands like Oxy5 or Panoxyl 5. The instructions tell you to put it on your spots once a day but its best to put loads on twice a day. (and then moisturise like mad) i've been doing it for a week and as well as preventing spots it makes them go away quicker. The only side effect is that it stings like a (insert rude word here) the first few times you apply it until your skin is used to it.
I shouldnt use that because i'm on Roaccutane at the minute, which already dries out my skin a bit. I do have some Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% in my bathroom somewhere because I was using it with other tablets called Erythromycin, which i took in the summer and worked quite well until about the end of september, when I think i became resistant to the tablets (which is quite common) and they came back worse
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads