The Student Room Group

Why does everyone hate Diane Abbott?

Scroll to see replies

She is the embodiment of the Peter Principal. She would just about make a half decent parish councillor. Labour know this and its why they applied their Gerald Kaufman policy in the run up to 2019, keeping her as low profile in the media and off QT as much possible.

https://youtu.be/kAEixRNPQmE

Here we see what happens when what happens when people are in positions because of who they know and not what they know.
(edited 1 year ago)
She was Britain's first black female MP, which given the era she did it in was a a significant achievement and step forward. She's had to put up with levels of personal abuse that people on here couldn't even begin to imagine.

It's fine to criticise her politics, it's fine to criticise her for being incompetent. But there are scores of MPs and even ministers who are equally incompetent who never seem to get even 1% of the abuse she gets.

Looking at the amount of the abuse she gets, and the nature of it, it's hard not to conclude that an awful lot of the abuse she gets is down, at least in part, to her race and gender.
Original post by DSilva
I've no issue with people criticising her for being incompetent.

It was more the scale and sheer nastiness of the abuse she received which was off the charts.

She is nasty.

If she so happened to be white, male and right-wing and openly saying the things she does... she'd have been obliterated in politics by now. She would have been relegated to some alt-right online community wining about the 'new world order' and 'mixed race social engineering'. It's only her minority status that protects her, and how she shelters herself under the wing of other politicians who like to sleep in the same bed with identity politics.

This trend of identity politics where apparently "only white people can be racist" is no longer a secret. Most are at least aware of it. 10 years ago it was still a bit foreign to most people, who would think you were making things up if you tried to explain this to them. I think she's the face of it in the UK parliament, and I'm glad it has a face. Now people can see it for themselves.

I'm personally glad to see that the majority of people in the mainstream despise her and speak their honest mind about it online. Although we've got some big issues in our culture, I'd think there was something very seriously wrong with our culture if she wasn't the target of this sort vicious dissent. You do not get to hold a position of power, and say things that are as ignorant and stupid as she does (I think she does it for attention actually, not necessarily because she is stupid), and just walk around for as long as she has done without egg on your face.
(edited 1 year ago)
Most people don't hate her.
They just find her a toxic person and example of a professional politician who makes a financially comfortable living from politics but is the personification of almost everything that is rotten in politics.

It was a similar thing with Iris and Peter Robinson in northern ireland.
Along with John Bercow and Mike Pence in the usa.
Good riddance to all four of them.
I'm not saying she is the most likeable in the world, but she isn't evil or hateable either.
There is a huge component of racism in how much is aimed at her from the right and all the mailites, little Englanders etc and if you deny it's about race you are living in a fantasy world.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending