Thinking of studying in UK/France

Watch this thread
Prompr
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all, im thinking of applying to unis in the UK and France, I have read up on unis in the UK and so far my options are Worcester, Bangor, Plymouth, Aberdeen and Essex. Though i have not found much info about the last two. Is there anyone who has experience with either of these five who can give me their opinion? As for France, I am currently researching studying there and i saw the forumes here say that unis in France are not really good. However those posts were from 10 years ago, still im hesitant about it now. What i plan on studying is biology. Anyone have any advice or first hand experience with France? If so it would be a great help.
Also if you have any unis you would recommend (UK/France), I'm open to new ideas
Last edited by Prompr; 1 month ago
Prompr
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Prompr)
Hi all, im thinking of applying to unis in the UK and France, I have read up on unis in the UK and so far my options are Worcester, Bangor, Plymouth, Aberdeen and Essex. Though i have not found much info about the last two. Is there anyone who has experience with either of these five who can give me their opinion? As for France, I am currently researching studying there and i saw the forumes here say that unis in France are not really good. However those posts were from 10 years ago, still im hesitant about it now. What i plan on studying is biology. Anyone have any advice or first hand experience with France? If so it would be a great help.
Also if you have any unis you would recommend (UK/France), I'm open to new ideas
I will be doing a test for C1 in English soon and my French is at B1 right now, i have been studying for a year and a bit more, i think i could polish it more since i will be starting uni next year
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Biology - you can certainly do better than Worcester, but the others are fine.
Bangor, Plymouth, Aberdeen are especially good for Marine Biology / Ecology.
Have a look at Unis like Sussex, Liverpool, Swansea.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Why these 5. What are your grades predicted grades. As far as unis in France v UK have you looked at the cost. I assume you are international so looking at international fees.

For what its worth Worcester is nota very well known university.
Bangor is especially marine stuff.
Plymouth is again on the coast
Aberdeen is in Scotland. Dont know a awful lot about it but it is quite popular and I believe old university.
Essex seems OK but somebody on here who visited it was unemplressed with Cochester.

Other options worth looking it are Swansea and Aberystwyth. Both are on the coast and close to moutains. Swansea is close to the Gower the first area of outstanding natural beauty in the uk.
Exeters Penryn campus offers biology/ecology courses. The drawback is it is a small place miles from most places but again near the coast
normaw
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Also be aware that bachelor degrees in Scotland (Aberdeen) generally take four years rather than three, so you are looking at another year of fees and living expenses.
username5637224
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What nationality are you and where have you been living and educated up until now? I’m British but have spent most of my life in France and I have children in both the French and British university systems. They are very very different in their approach to education so make sure to research them thoroughly.
University of Plymouth Postgraduate Student Rep
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi Prompr,

I've been at Plymouth for 4 years now. I don't study biology but if you have any questions about the university I'd be happy to help!

Sophie- University of Plymouth postgrad rep
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi Prompr!

I am an international student finishing a BSc Zoology degree at the University of Southampton so I might be able to share my experience of doing a biological degree 😊. What topics seem most interesting to you? Is it human biology, animals and plants or maybe marine biology?

Agnes – Student Ambassador
Bangor Uni
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi Prompr

Great to hear that Bangor is one of your options Let me know if you have any questions, I'm more than happy to help. In the meantime have a look at this link:

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/courses/und...e/c101-biology

Sera
UoA Enquiry Team
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hello Prompr!

Thank you for your interest in studying here at the University of Aberdeen!

If you have any questions please do get in touch with us by emailing [email protected]. You can also use our chat service by clicking on the link here: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/student...udent-chat.php.

Kind Regards,

Leanne
turbobaithead
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Of all your choices, Aberdeen is head and shoulders above the rest overall as a University. An Ancient Uni in Scotland.

Aberdeen for Biological Sciences hovers around 20-22 out of 90. Similar to its Overall ranking in the UK too (20-25).
Rankings don't matter too much but it is the best out of all your other choices.

Have you looked at other places? Aberdeen is a commitment with its distance and isolated location from almost every other city.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (17)
29.82%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
38.6%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.51%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.26%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
7.02%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.28%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.75%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.75%

Watched Threads