Is 3 A Levels Just Average Watch

This discussion is closed.
Joshy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I am currently doing 4 a levels but i wanted to drop one , would having 3 a levels make me look average when applying for uni .
Can i still get on to the same courses as i would with 4.

thanks
Josh
saiyamanadingdongbanana
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Joshy)
I am currently doing 4 a levels but i wanted to drop one , would having 3 a levels make me look average when applying for uni .

thanks
Josh

I think the Universities only look at your top 3 grades/relevant ones to the course. Are you also counting General studies?? If so i strongly advise you NOT to drop a subject. If not then you should at least stay on to get an AS grade in the one you wanted to drop, also many people only take 3 + GS subjects, so you would (depending on any EC activities etc, and the grades you get) look pretty much 'average'.
an Siarach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Joshy)

thanks
Josh
It depends where youre applying. If youre thinking Oxbridge or anywhere like that you should keep on with 4 but in general universities express their requirements etc in terms of 3.
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Joshy)

thanks
Josh
It probably depends if you're going to drop further maths and apply for something where it would be useful to have it. Otherwise, no, I don't believe quantity is going to make a large difference - it depends on your grades.

Ben
platinumki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
AAAA is worth more than AAA. AABB is worth less than AAA. Which one will you get?
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Most unis only ask for 3 A-levels (quite often not including General Studies) and sometimes 1 AS. Whatever subject you're thinking of dropping, stick it out to at least get the AS and then if you're not doing General Studies, you could drop it and it probably wouldn't make a difference unless you want to apply to Oxbridge or for a really competitve course. If one of your subjects is General Studies, you should carry on with all 4. In any case, 4 is obviously better than 3 and it could help you out if for eg you miss you offer, but if continuing all 4 would be too much work and harm your grades, it would be better to drop one.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
3 A-levels are sufficient already (minimum uni requirement). You would be able to go onto a course you want with 4 A-levels.
Chris87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by trev)
3 A-levels are sufficient already (minimum uni requirement). You would be able to go onto a course you want with 4 A-levels.
Some universities will accept you with two A-levels but its best to do 3.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Usually the excellent/good universities accept 3 A-levels, while he bad/mediocre (sp?) ones accept 2 A-levels.
usa1981
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by platinumki)
AAAA is worth more than AAA. AABB is worth less than AAA. Which one will you get?
You are rght that AAAA=480, AAA= 360. But how is AABB=440, AAA=360 how is the AABB worth less then AAA.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by usa1981)
You are rght that AAAA=480, AAA= 360. But how is AABB=440, AAA=360 how is the AABB worth less then AAA.
because the numbers they are converted to are not a great reflection of how they are regarded. having straight As has its own impact, even if there are only 3 of them. for example, it makes you think "maybe they could have gotten AAAA if they'd taken a 4th one." whereas getting AABB means you know they couldn't get AAAA.
joshdajoker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Fishpaste that is debatable in my opinion

If I had the choice of getting AAA or AABB to get to my uni I would go for the AAA as your mind is less spread over more subjects.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I agree with you. I think most uni's will base your offers using 3 A-levels, no matter how many subjects you are doing.
usa1981
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
because the numbers they are converted to are not a great reflection of how they are regarded. having straight As has its own impact, even if there are only 3 of them. for example, it makes you think "maybe they could have gotten AAAA if they'd taken a 4th one." whereas getting AABB means you know they couldn't get AAAA.
Do you think it woould be better if they just gave you a score out 600 point raw score? I think that it would because then University would see the scores. Which marks are better A= 590/600 , A= 550/600, A= 480/600 (3 A's), A= 590/600, A= 550/600, A= 480/600, A= 480/600 (4 A's), A= 590/600, A= 480/600, B= 479/600, B= 479/600. 3 A's= 1660/1800, 4 A's= 2100/2400 or 2 A's& 2B's= 2028/2400. Lets say that the student that recived the 3 A marks had taken English Lit, English Lang., and History. The student that recived 4 A's English Lit., English Lang., Japanese, and Latin. Lets then sy that the student that recived the 2 A's and 2 b's had taken Biology, Latin, Mathematics , and Futher Mathematics. Would you still look at it the same way.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by usa1981)
Do you think it woould be better if they just gave you a score out 600 point raw score? I think that it would because then University would see the scores. Which marks are better A= 590/600 , A= 550/600, A= 480/600 (3 A's), A= 590/600, A= 550/600, A= 480/600, A= 480/600 (4 A's), A= 590/600, A= 480/600, B= 479/600, B= 479/600. 3 A's= 1660/1800, 4 A's= 2100/2400 or 2 A's& 2B's= 2028/2400. Lets say that the student that recived the 3 A marks had taken English Lit, English Lang., and History. The student that recived 4 A's English Lit., English Lang., Japanese, and Latin. Lets then sy that the student that recived the 2 A's and 2 b's had taken Biology, Latin, Mathematics , and Futher Mathematics. Would you still look at it the same way.
I agree that unis should look at point scores because if one candidate had AAA and the other had AABB but both Bs were very high Bs and nearly As, it wouldn't be fair to look favourably on the AAA student. Generally speaking, I think AAA is seen as better than AABB, but as you said, it does depend on the subject. AAA in English language, media studies and psychology would not be regarded as highly as AABB in maths, history, biology and German, for example.
Amystrangeglove
Report 13 years ago
AAA obviously LOOKS better BUT this is EXACTLY what uni's r complaining about. The grades don't SHOW the REAL potential of the student. Unis make a more WHOLE decision when they look at you. Your grades are a major BUT minor aspect, but they look for personal attributes and how you could flourish in their university environment; whether its Oxford or Birmingham!
usa1981
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Another way to look at it would be as follows:
Lookining at the AS level part as 300 points and
looking at the A level part as 300 points.
What do you think?
CrazyChemist
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
4 A-levels is harder than 3, even if the grades are AABB compared to AAA ye? Surely that isn't questioned? On that basis, i would expect unis to take ppl with AABB over AAA. But the number of a-levels u take must depend on the grades you expect to get. I agree with the points about general studies tho.

besides, lots of unis want ucas points, so 4 a levels has major advantages. Not that i agree with ucas points, but there we go...
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I agree with you that 4 A-levels is an advantage in tariff points. The problem of tariff points is that, you can do any combinations to get the points. You can even hve a grade D and/or E in that will add up to the tariff points, and you still get in.
saiyamanadingdongbanana
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
AAA in English language, media studies and psychology would not be regarded as highly as AABB in maths,

English Lang and Psycholgoy are hard subjects!!! Dont know about media studies though. And they will be 'regarded as highly as maths etc' if the it is linked with the course they want to take, (eg, a journalist would require a high grade in English Lang, and wouldn't rate maths higher than this)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1439)
79.72%
Leave (366)
20.28%

Watched Threads