1. Evaluate the view that ‘citizens can no longer feel confident that their rights in

Watch this thread
3cutecats
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Can you help me answer it!
bubba6222
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
citizens can no longer feel confident in their rights in....?
3cutecats
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Sorry the question is

Evaluate the view that ‘citizens can no longer feel confident that their rights in the UK are secure and established.’
cloes
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
How long should that be
AlexEagle
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Could do points on the Supreme Court, Parliament, and the role of pressure groups (or the HRA)
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You should read Blackstone on the Absolute Rights of the Individual.

I'm pretty sure Edmund Coke wrote something along the lines that "a man needs no more rights than the common law shall provide..."

I think the essay is fishing for an argument over the superiority in administration and quality of European law. My personal argument would be to ask why European Human Rights are necessarily better than British ones? Why are European Human Rights a standard better than any other country in the world - and what real protection they provide vs the scope for abuse of process.
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
My opinion is that there is no reason on earth why with a new HRA, bringing into force a British Bill of Rights over the ECHR, there would be reason to believe that there is any dilution in Human Rights other than the political rhetoric of pro-EU people.

With reference to the ECHR, we drafted most of the damn thing, and if you look at the Council of Europe, we were pretty much the only major country that originally gave a toss about human rights. West Germany - lol, well they had literally just come out of the Third Reich, Italy the same. Spain was an actual fascist state. France have always done whatever the hell they want, and let's be honest French Gallic Hedonism is just a euphemism for fascism. We let in Russia and Turkey who between them have pretty much cornered the market on cases being brought to the ECtHR. The big difference between the UK and most other members is that we actually play by the rules and try and live by the conventions. Other countries basically ignore them and ignore the court. In the UK people go running off to the ECtHR because they think their life sentence for triple rape and murder is too much, or because they have illegally entered the country and think they have the right to stay because their child attended three days of school here. We wring our hands and tear out or hair over the slightest hint of a deviation from the conventions or the HRA. Meanwhile, France bans hijabs and couldn't give a rat's co.ck what the Council of Europe thinks and pro-Europeans cheer them on because France = EU = good and Britain = Brexit = bad.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (13)
25%
As I expected (14)
26.92%
Harder (22)
42.31%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
5.77%

Watched Threads