The Student Room Group

Anyone good with nasal problems, quick question

Had a call yesterday from the ear nose throat consultant (an appointment I’ve waited months for) but there’s something I wish I’d have asked but I’m **** at thinking on the spot

Basically for my nasal symptoms I was told to try a saline nasal spray 4 times a day to help get rid any any irritants. The thing is I also use a steroid nasal spray so wouldn’t the saline rinse also get rid of the medication from the nasal passage?

I could obviously use the rinse then apply the steroid spray after but as the steroid spray is long acting/works over a 12 hour period and the saline spray is used 4 times per day won’t this medication just be rinsed away by it, therefore less effective?

Im not overthinking an I? I have tried nasal rinses in the past and always feel more clogged/have developed mild sinus infections post use so stopped using them. I’ll try again though
Original post by Anonymous
Had a call yesterday from the ear nose throat consultant (an appointment I’ve waited months for) but there’s something I wish I’d have asked but I’m **** at thinking on the spot

Basically for my nasal symptoms I was told to try a saline nasal spray 4 times a day to help get rid any any irritants. The thing is I also use a steroid nasal spray so wouldn’t the saline rinse also get rid of the medication from the nasal passage?

I could obviously use the rinse then apply the steroid spray after but as the steroid spray is long acting/works over a 12 hour period and the saline spray is used 4 times per day won’t this medication just be rinsed away by it, therefore less effective?

Im not overthinking an I? I have tried nasal rinses in the past and always feel more clogged/have developed mild sinus infections post use so stopped using them. I’ll try again though

hey... so i don't have any nasal problems and this might seem a bit off topic but i find whenever i have a blocked nose i just get my thumb and massage it in a circle on the gap between my eyebrows for a minute or so (you could do this after steam inhalation as well because steam is effective with sinuses)
i know it doesn't answer your question haha but you mentioned clogged sinuses so i thought i could maybe help
I would have thought the spray would get absorbed and some would get washed away by snot so wouldn't just sit there in your nose for 12 hours anyway.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anonymous

give a pharmacist a call they ll be able to confirm for you, but i believe steroid sprays are absorbed after a certain amount of time so if you space them out then it wouldn't change its efficacy
Original post by black tea
I would have thought the spray would get absorbed and some would get washed away by snot so wouldn't just sit there in your nose for 12 hours anyway.

Probably right, I had visions of it sort of sitting on the nasal lining
Original post by ArizonaRobbins
hey... so i don't have any nasal problems and this might seem a bit off topic but i find whenever i have a blocked nose i just get my thumb and massage it in a circle on the gap between my eyebrows for a minute or so (you could do this after steam inhalation as well because steam is effective with sinuses)
i know it doesn't answer your question haha but you mentioned clogged sinuses so i thought i could maybe help

Will try this anything’s worth a try

Quick Reply

Latest