The Student Room Group

I started revising 6 hours a day since the end of march for my GCSE's

I want to get a 5 in English and a 7 in everything else minimum.
I got 4's and 6's in my Midterm Mocks, how likely is it as i am aware it is possible, and i fear my revision may not be working out and that i get distracted and procrastinate from sitting in front of a screen 9 hours.
I have strict Asian Parents that want the best for me, and i want the best for myself too, but i don't feel that i can study all day although i want to study as much as possible.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

6 hours is more than enough to up your grades, but it doesn't sound healthy. Im failing two levels and still on track to getting into uni. Gcse's don't matter unless u want to go into a prestigious uni which also doesnt matter that much
I think you'd get burnt out doing that many hours for too long, and if you said you're distracted and procrastinating that's probably part of that. If you want better grades I'd say take more *actual* breaks, stop stressing over work too much so you can be actually focus when you're working. Also try to develop more efficient study skills, whatever that means for you since its different for everyone. Whether that's flashcards, notes, past papers... Don't just sit down and read the textbook or something.
Original post by METRIX64
I want to get a 5 in English and a 7 in everything else minimum.
I got 4's and 6's in my Midterm Mocks, how likely is it as i am aware it is possible, and i fear my revision may not be working out and that i get distracted and procrastinate from sitting in front of a screen 9 hours.
I have strict Asian Parents that want the best for me, and i want the best for myself too, but i don't feel that i can study all day although i want to study as much as possible.

Are you doing past papers? That should be your priority.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Are you doing past papers? That should be your priority.

Yes, 3-4 past papers a week.
Exam Style Questions every day.
Reply 5
Original post by zuluwarrior7650
6 hours is more than enough to up your grades, but it doesn't sound healthy. Im failing two levels and still on track to getting into uni. Gcse's don't matter unless u want to go into a prestigious uni which also doesn't matter that much

Yes but I am Asian, also I want to study BEng and potentially even MEng at University, I also want to take Maths, Physics, Chemistry and an AS in Computer Science for A Level and hopefully I can get at least AABB at AS and A*AA at A2 as my target. I know I am thinking Ahead but I want to be an excellent Engineer.
(edited 1 year ago)
Weird flex but ok
Reply 7
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Weird flex but ok

Being Asian is actually hard, My Parents wanted me to be Set 1 Maths and Science and Set 3 English Minimum, and I was 1 set lower than expected for All 3 of the subjects.
Being Asian is actually hard, My Parents wanted me to be Set 1 Maths and Science and Set 3 English Minimum, and I was 1 set lower than expected for All 3 of the subjects.

Your life will change a lot from 16 to 18. Perhaps you might not ever want to attend university in the first place. It’s great that you are revising so much but don’t overdo it.

I’m in my 20s and the people who dropped out of school aged 16 and got jobs as bricklayers are more financially stable than people of a similar age to them who have master’s degrees. Something to think about. Good luck with your studies.
(edited 1 year ago)
Yes, 3-4 past papers a week.
Exam Style Questions every day.

How do you follow-up your past papers?
How the hell do you spend 6 hours a day since MARCH revising and get 6s aiming for a 7
You'll probably get higher with that much revision.
Original post by Aylac1906
i would recommend

Sorry, why are you replying to me? I'm a teacher and its the OP that needs help.
(edited 1 year ago)
Being Asian is irrelevant. Lots of people of all races want to do well in their GCSEs.
Do you think the pressure isn't just as high on everyone else?

Revising 6 hours a day on top of studying in school for 6 hours is going to lead to burn out. Excluding weekends, that means you're studying for 60 hours a week. That's 20 more hours a week than a full time job, or full time university study.

Do you take weekends off?
If not, you're studying 72 hours a week.

There's being a good student, and then there's too much. You are firmly in the "too much" category. Nothing will sink in.
Reply 14
Original post by frumentarius
How the hell do you spend 6 hours a day since MARCH revising and get 6s aiming for a 7

short term memory loss.
Students who aren't Asian also want to do well exams yk. Myself being one of them.
Reply 16
Original post by thrivingfrog
Students who aren't Asian also want to do well exams yk. Myself being one of them.

My parents spare my english and let me get grade 5 minimum.
Everything else at least a 7.
My parents spare my english and let me get grade 5 minimum.
Everything else at least a 7.

in all honesty how long you spend means nothing. you could spend 6 hrs fixated on a book and get a 4 rather than someone who revises for an 1hr or 2 every other day and gets a higher grade
rather spending even half an hour revising properly than 6 hours doing nothing, feeling bored and staring at a book. did that in mocks of yr11 got a 6 in chemistry and my recent exam got an 8 and i only spent max 5 hours revising chemistry in the space of 3 weeks id say?
best of luck to your exams!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 18
Thx, I sat 3 exams and they were easier than midterms.
Target Grades
Maths: 7
Science: 8-7
ICT: 8
Geography: 7
English Lit: 6
English Lang: 5
Yes I am rubbish at English, got 4 in Coursework for Lang, 6 for Lit. I have always struggled and my Asian parents will allow for 5 in this case.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
You life will change a lot from 16 to 18. Perhaps you might not ever want to attend university in the first place. It’s great that you are revising so much but don’t overdo it.

I’m in my 20s and the people who dropped out of school aged 16 and got jobs as bricklayers are more financially stable than people of a similar age to them who have master’s degrees. Something to think about. Good luck with your studies.

Not only Uni but Masters degree as well.

Quick Reply

Latest