The Student Room Group

Starting gym female

I’m waiting for exam season to end then want to get started at the gym. I want to be toned and lose body fat. I’d coin myself as skinny fat though I am underweight. I’m someone with no gym knowledge or experience and have quite a poor diet (little protein intake). 5’2 41.9kg (last time I check was a week ago)

For starters what would be recommended for someone like me. I have myprotein weight gainer powder and also the impact whey powder I believe. I’m not sure if the weight gainer would inc fat as that is not my goal (again I have no knowledge in this area). As well as that what is the ratio of powder and how would you recommend I take it.

Secondly any advice on weightlifting and resistance training. Most of my fat is concentrated in my thighs and muffin tops, I know spot reduction isn’t a thing but is there any specific exercises to target this. I also want to work my back, having a toned shoulder and lower back.

Thanks.
Original post by Ahjjjkkk
I’m waiting for exam season to end then want to get started at the gym. I want to be toned and lose body fat. I’d coin myself as skinny fat though I am underweight. I’m someone with no gym knowledge or experience and have quite a poor diet (little protein intake). 5’2 41.9kg (last time I check was a week ago)

For starters what would be recommended for someone like me. I have myprotein weight gainer powder and also the impact whey powder I believe. I’m not sure if the weight gainer would inc fat as that is not my goal (again I have no knowledge in this area). As well as that what is the ratio of powder and how would you recommend I take it.

Secondly any advice on weightlifting and resistance training. Most of my fat is concentrated in my thighs and muffin tops, I know spot reduction isn’t a thing but is there any specific exercises to target this. I also want to work my back, having a toned shoulder and lower back.

Thanks.

hey, I've been going to the gym for 3-4 years now (not regular) but I'm definitely not an expert. Have you considered getting a personal trainer? Eespecially if your interested in weighlifting. As for fat burning there are lots of youtube videos which will have workouts tailored towards a specific concern and the machines in gym will also have a little label which shows which part of the body the particular exercise machine is for (those can be really helpful)

Again I'm not a health expert but I do drink protein shakes post-workout for energy (not weight gain) and as someone who previously had a terrible diet I would advise that you focus on the food you're eating as well. And if you do drink protein shakes do not substitute them for meals and make sure you're eating enough of the right things. A food planner would be really good for this so you could make sure youre putting in enough protein in your diet.

Hope this helped x
Reply 2
At 41.9kg, you are not skinny fat. You are simply skinny. You also probably have very little muscle mass which makes you think you're skinny fat. So I'd really advise against you trying to lose more weight. You should eat more whilst resistance training to build muscle, and to be honest, probably putting on a little bit more fat in conjunction with the muscle will be healthy too.

Weight gainers and protein shakes are not really necessary if you can just eat more whole foods, but if you struggle with appetite they can help. They're just powdered food in the end.

As for what resistance exercises to do, I usually advise all beginners to start with a full body routine learning the basics, gradually increasing the weight you can lift. As the the post above alluded to, getting a PT for a few sessions to learn good lifting technique can help with that. That's how I started years ago. You don't need to focus on specific areas of your body when you're a beginner, because you lack muscle all over at this stage.
Reply 3
Original post by meymey:)
hey, I've been going to the gym for 3-4 years now (not regular) but I'm definitely not an expert. Have you considered getting a personal trainer? Eespecially if your interested in weighlifting. As for fat burning there are lots of youtube videos which will have workouts tailored towards a specific concern and the machines in gym will also have a little label which shows which part of the body the particular exercise machine is for (those can be really helpful)

Again I'm not a health expert but I do drink protein shakes post-workout for energy (not weight gain) and as someone who previously had a terrible diet I would advise that you focus on the food you're eating as well. And if you do drink protein shakes do not substitute them for meals and make sure you're eating enough of the right things. A food planner would be really good for this so you could make sure youre putting in enough protein in your diet.

Hope this helped x

Thank you so much I didn’t know they had the labels, this really did help a lot.
Reply 4
Original post by Kyri
At 41.9kg, you are not skinny fat. You are simply skinny. You also probably have very little muscle mass which makes you think you're skinny fat. So I'd really advise against you trying to lose more weight. You should eat more whilst resistance training to build muscle, and to be honest, probably putting on a little bit more fat in conjunction with the muscle will be healthy too.

Weight gainers and protein shakes are not really necessary if you can just eat more whole foods, but if you struggle with appetite they can help. They're just powdered food in the end.

As for what resistance exercises to do, I usually advise all beginners to start with a full body routine learning the basics, gradually increasing the weight you can lift. As the the post above alluded to, getting a PT for a few sessions to learn good lifting technique can help with that. That's how I started years ago. You don't need to focus on specific areas of your body when you're a beginner, because you lack muscle all over at this stage.

Thank you this was very helpful!
Search TSR for the fitness forum FAQ. It has just about everything there to get you started

You aren't skinny fat, you are very skinny and have no muscle. Gain weight, do big compound movements and put on a lb of bodyweight per week for 3 months and watch how your physique improves

Good luck.
You probably have a small amount of muscle mass so that's why you're not getting the 'toned' look you're after. If you're completely new to the gym I wouldn't advise targeting specific areas because you don't want to create any imbalances or increase your risk of injury so full body strength training will do the trick. Be aware also that girls naturally will have/are prone to having more fat on their thighs and hips. Nutrition wise...protein shakes are a great, easy option to supplement your diet with protein however, you are missing out on essential micronutrients like fibre and vitamins and minerals etc so it would be better if you could try and include more high protein meals in your diet and have the odd shake every now and then or when you're lacking a bit of protein. It will be really beneficial for you as a beginner too who's trying to put on some muscle mass because maintaining a high level of protein can help you retain and build muscle and it can increase your bone density over time.

Quick Reply

Latest