The Student Room Group

My boyfriend has a friend who's a girl

My boyfriend has a friend's who's a girl she seems nice but I don't really like it, he's known her since primary and shes apparently a lesbian and he doesn't have feelings for people he met when he was young. I asked him to stop being friends with her but he said he didn't see why, what should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nothing. He's allowed to have female friends, same as you can have male friends. If you start being controlling about things like this, he'll still have a female friend, but you'll have an ex-boyfriend...
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anonymous
My boyfriend has a friend's who's a girl she seems nice but I don't really like it, he's known her since primary and shes apparently a lesbian and he doesn't have feelings for people he met when he was young. I asked him to stop being friends with her but he said he didn't see why, what should I do?

He’s got a friend who’s a girl… so..?
I’m a girl. Most of my friends are guys. That doesn’t mean I like them - in fact, I find most of them unattractive. I’m bisexual anyway but I don’t like any of my female friends either. Most people have friends that aren’t the same gender as them, it’s nothing unusual.
Tbh this sounds more like your insecurity than him doing anything wrong. He’s tried to reassure you, from what he’s said he doesn’t like her and wouldn’t stand a chance with her anyway.
If it’s really bothering you, I guess you could talk to him about it but you can’t dictate his friendships. It would be different if he’d had a history of cheating but you’ve not mentioned anything like that so I really don’t see the issue. If you don’t like it, you could just break up with him, but that would be a shame since it’s a totally normal thing for him to do.
You either trust them completely, or you don't
what should I do?

Sort your insecurities out, he's allowed to have female friends.
Original post by RushingRiver
He’s got a friend who’s a girl… so..?
I’m a girl. Most of my friends are guys. That doesn’t mean I like them - in fact, I find most of them unattractive. I’m bisexual anyway but I don’t like any of my female friends either. Most people have friends that aren’t the same gender as them, it’s nothing unusual.
Tbh this sounds more like your insecurity than him doing anything wrong. He’s tried to reassure you, from what he’s said he doesn’t like her and wouldn’t stand a chance with her anyway.
If it’s really bothering you, I guess you could talk to him about it but you can’t dictate his friendships. It would be different if he’d had a history of cheating but you’ve not mentioned anything like that so I really don’t see the issue. If you don’t like it, you could just break up with him, but that would be a shame since it’s a totally normal thing for him to do.

What if she's bi and not a lesbian

I don’t see your point.
Bisexual people aren’t attracted to everyone they meet. It makes no difference what her sexuality is, he’s allowed platonic female friends!
(edited 1 year ago)
what should I do?

Let him have his friend!

Doesn't mean anything. Even if she was straight it'd be fine.
He's known her longer than you. If you make him choose between you and his friends you'll be dumped lol.
Kill him. What an idiot. Imagine that, eh? The disrespect for having a female friend. Tut tut.
Original post by sufys
Let him have his friend!

Doesn't mean anything. Even if she was straight it'd be fine.

What if she tries to do something why would he even need other female friends
Original post by Chicken.M.
He's known her longer than you. If you make him choose between you and his friends you'll be dumped lol.

I'm his girlfriend so I should be above her

That won't remain true if you try to control him.
Original post by sufys
That won't remain true if you try to control him.

Not trying to control him just having female friends when's he straight doesn't seem right
What if she tries to do something why would he even need other female friends

Because he's allowed to interact with other members of the opposite sex, otherwise you're being controlling.

Just because you're his gf doesn't mean that you're better than anyone else.
Not trying to control him just having female friends when's he straight doesn't seem right

Contradictory statement.
Original post by hungrysalamander
Because he's allowed to interact with other members of the opposite sex, otherwise you're being controlling.

Just because you're his gf doesn't mean that you're better than anyone else.

Why would I be above other girls

Unfortunately that's a problem that you have with trust, nothing to do with him or his friend. So have friends of all genders and can be attracted to all genders, does that mean I shouldn't have any friends? Obviously not. My wife trusts that I'm going to stay loyal and faithful.

Asking him to stop being friends with her is controlling and a red flag in a relationship. If you find this is a big issue (aka can't cope with him being friends with girls) then you may want to seek some professional help, if you're not already.
Why would I be above other girls

wouldn't*
you sound immature and insecure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending