Is Nottingham still reputable for law?

Watch this thread
Avc2003
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I understand that Nottingham is traditionally one of the 'better' law schools and arguably top ten but after firming, I can't shake the feeling that the reputation has gone downhill due to the size of the university. This feeling's only gotten worse after their dramatic fall in the league table this year. Am I overreacting or should I prepare myself for an uphill battle reputation wise once I enter uni?
Last edited by Avc2003; 1 month ago
Imperviousness
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Why does reputation matter? Rankings fluctuate yearly and don't have any real bearing when it comes to job prospects. Considering you're going to Notts, not Wolverhampton.

Nottingham is GREAT for Law. Stop focusing so much on league tables, they don't mean ****. You are overreacting, attaining an LLB from Nottingham is impressive and will not prohibit you from pursuing a career in Law. In fact, it is a target uni for MC firms.
Last edited by Imperviousness; 1 month ago
RoyalBeams
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It is a very reputable university for law.

Overall reputation, it should be anywhere between 13th to 20th.
Augustino D
Badges: 12
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Avc2003)
I understand that Nottingham is traditionally one of the 'better' law schools and arguably top ten but after firming, I can't shake the feeling that the reputation has gone downhill due to the size of the university. This feeling's only gotten worse after their dramatic fall in the league table this year. Am I overreacting or should I prepare myself for an uphill battle reputation wise once I enter uni?
Its reputation is more than fine and no one responsible for assessing you in any way in the future will know the ins and outs of league table performance - let alone put any weight on this! Congratuations on your offer.
Augustino D
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Imperviousness)
Why does reputation matter? Rankings fluctuate yearly and don't have any real bearing when it comes to job prospects. Considering you're going to Notts, not Wolverhampton.

Nottingham is GREAT for Law. Stop focusing so much on league tables, they don't mean ****. You are overreacting, attaining an LLB from Nottingham is impressive and will not prohibit you from pursuing a career in Law. In fact, it is a target uni for MC firms.
"MC firms" visit several dozen universities a year and are becoming increasingly inclusive when it comes to recruitment - for example, many of their events are now open to students from a wide range of universities or any university. The 'campus tie' remains important for those elusive dinners and so on but it has been weakened. Gone are the days when they would visit just a handful of universities across the country and conduct interviews on campus (the latter was the original criterion for 'targeting', if you were curious).
Last edited by Augustino D; 1 month ago
Imperviousness
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Augustino D)
"MC firms" visit several dozen universities a year and are becoming increasingly inclusive when it comes to recruitment - for example, many of their events are now open to students from a wide range of universities or any university. The 'campus tie' remains important for those elusive dinners and so on but it has been weakened. Gone are the days when they would visit just a handful of universities across the country and conduct interviews on campus (the latter was the original criterion for 'targeting', if you were curious).
Why do you think they have become more inclusive?
Avc2003
Rep:
Its reputation is more than fine and no one responsible for assessing you in any way in the future will know the ins and outs of league table performance - let alone put any weight on this! Congratuations on your offer.
Thank you and to everyone else for their takes on the question. I've done some self-reflection and realised that I no longer mind, actually quite excited to go there now. Thanks for the clarification.
Augustino D
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Imperviousness)
Why do you think they have become more inclusive?
Look at the universities they visit and the composition of their vacation scheme. Compare this with their intakes 10 or ideally 20 years ago. Enormous difference. Worth looking beyond university to factors like school status and ethnicity, too - MC firms are increasingly diverse when it comes to that, and more so than many others (looking at you Macfarlanes).

There are some MC firms where universities that aren't Oxbridge are close to being equally represented (or are equally well represented) as each of Oxford and Cambridge. That would have been unthinkable a generation ago, when Oxford and Cambridge made up well over half the cohort.
LawStudent456
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Why would the uni having a bigger intake affect how ‘good’ it is?

Is this the reason why students apply to smaller intake unis such as Warwick, York and Exeter over similarly ranked city unis such as Manchester, Bham and Leeds?

Ridiculous logic.
LawStudent456
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Look at the universities they visit and the composition of their vacation scheme. Compare this with their intakes 10 or ideally 20 years ago. Enormous difference. Worth looking beyond university to factors like school status and ethnicity, too - MC firms are increasingly diverse when it comes to that, and more so than many others (looking at you Macfarlanes).

There are some MC firms where universities that aren't Oxbridge are close to being equally represented (or are equally well represented) as each of Oxford and Cambridge. That would have been unthinkable a generation ago, when Oxford and Cambridge made up well over half the cohort.
Lol why do you think Macfarlanes aren’t diverse?

In looking at firms that is a major factor to me, in terms of social diversity.

I was interviewed by them for a first year scheme and they praised my hard work and determination in turning my grades around and I was impressed by them because this and was thinking about applying to them because of that.
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LawStudent456)
Presumably the concern would be that if the resources available to students haven't increased in line with an increased intake, then there'd be a risk that those same resources would be spread too thinly.

By "resources" I'm referring to anything from library books to lecturers.
RoyalBeams
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Is this the reason why students apply to smaller intake unis such as Warwick, York and Exeter over similarly ranked city unis such as Manchester, Bham and Leeds?

Ridiculous logic.
No, it is not ridiculous logic.

Bigger intake dilutes quality of intake; especially if the brand is not strong enough.

It also reduces exclusivity, which limits attracting high quality intake.
Avc2003
Rep:
(Original post by RoyalBeams)

Bigger intake dilutes quality of intake; especially if the brand is not strong enough.

Thats what I was referring to. Large schools like Nottingham certainly have there traditionally strong courses like Law, Economics etc. but the rest of the school may not be as impressive. This may partially be due to the fact that the school desires a larger intake for money and funding, which I think Nottingham is certainly susceptible to. Overall this can lead to a less selective admission process and maybe an ultimate decrease in the schools overall reputation, even the stronger courses.

Could be wrong tho lmao I have no statistics or concrete evidence to back this up. Just speculation.
LawStudent456
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RoyalBeams)

RoyalBeams with another common L

Snob logic imo
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The fallin league table places happens every so often, last year a few people made a point of hitting the NSS survey hard because Notts wouldnt give out a double wack of covid grade protections.. Notts is also a research intensive university so management are less concerned with league table position versus other universities.

League tables are ultimately pretty pointless, the fact a university can swing 10+ places in a year is just demonstration that the volatility of them makes them poor (universities dont change that fast). Employers also dont care about them...

The law departmental is consistently one of the most reputable in the country.
Avc2003
Rep:
(Original post by mnot)
The fallin league table places happens every so often, last year a few people made a point of hitting the NSS survey hard because Notts wouldnt give out a double wack of covid grade protections.. Notts is also a research intensive university so management are less concerned with league table position versus other universities.

League tables are ultimately pretty pointless, the fact a university can swing 10+ places in a year is just demonstration that the volatility of them makes them poor (universities dont change that fast). Employers also dont care about them...

The law departmental is consistently one of the most reputable in the country.
Didnt know about the covid grade situation. Makes sense. Once again guys Im satisfied with my choice so thank you for the feedback!
Avc2003
Rep:
Another thing Id just quickly like to ask, if any of you know the answer; why is the offer rate so damn high? Its a LNAT university so Id assume it’d be a little lower. Any ideas?

(Im referring to the FOI information btw)
LawStudent456
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Another thing Id just quickly like to ask, if any of you know the answer; why is the offer rate so damn high? Its a LNAT university so Id assume it’d be a little lower. Any ideas?

(Im referring to the FOI information btw)
Since you mentioned FOI, you’ll have to look this up yourself, but I believe that Notts gave like 12% of their students a first. That’s something you’ll be glad to hear for sure.

For reference Leeds gave nearly 25% of people a first (tho this was Covid year).
BarryScott2022
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Just to add, sort of connected. Nottingham
no longer require the LNAT from 2023 entry. No idea why, this was released before the league tables, so whether they had prior knowledge I don’t know.
Augustino D
Report 1 month ago
Lol why do you think Macfarlanes aren’t diverse?

In looking at firms that is a major factor to me, in terms of social diversity.

I was interviewed by them for a first year scheme and they praised my hard work and determination in turning my grades around and I was impressed by them because this and was thinking about applying to them because of that.
Consider visiting this firm and taking stock of the ethnicity and social class of the average trainee or junior associate.

Their nice words about your grades won't do much to dent that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (9)
45%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (5)
25%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
10%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
15%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5%

Watched Threads