The Student Room Group

Can I have a successful law career with a degree in international development?

Hello,
So I originally applied for international relations at KCL but was instead given international development. I wasn’t aware of this course before, and I took a look on their page. However, I have some worries. One, I plan on being a corporate lawyer, and I want to have a good degree background that will aid me in this. Two, I didn’t know this degree existed until today. I really don’t want to on and study this, and end up with zero career options. That’s my biggest fear. I also have other offers but I’ve got a good offer to study Politics and International relations at QMUL. I really don’t know what to do…help!!!
Most commercial law firms run a 50/50 intake of law/non-law students. An international development degree at Kcl is better than an IR degree at Qmul as they will both be classed as a non-law degree either way. Kcl is a prestigious and targeted uni so I would advise you to go with Kcl, be proactive in your first year and try to grab every work experience opportunity you can get your hands on. Try to show genuine interest in the legal sector while applying for vac schemes/training contracts and and you’ll be perfectly fine! Qmul isn’t bad tbh it’s just that the Kcl “brand” brings more opportunities.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending