Scottish Students at Cambridge

Watch this thread
_samantha.smithh
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does the university still look at the band grades of what you achieved at higher??
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _samantha.smithh)
Does the university still look at the band grades of what you achieved at higher??
We do, yes.
Blobfish12345
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Peterhouse Admissions
How do you view early advanced highers? Will the entry requirements still be the same for comp sci (A1, A1, A2) if you have an A1 in maths under your belt a year early? I am taking another four advanced highers this coming year but maths is my strongest subject and I’ve already taken it early. Thanks!
Peterhouse Admissions
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Blobfish12345)
Peterhouse Admissions
How do you view early advanced highers? Will the entry requirements still be the same for comp sci (A1, A1, A2) if you have an A1 in maths under your belt a year early? I am taking another four advanced highers this coming year but maths is my strongest subject and I’ve already taken it early. Thanks!
Hi there! We don't often see this, but I think we would treat it like A Levels taken in Year 12. Unless it's directly relevant to the subject you've applied for, we would most likely exclude it from your offer conditions. In your case, Maths is highly relevant to Computer Science, so it will depend on what other subjects you are taking as to whether we take it into account and either reduce your offer (to A1, A2, A2, for example) or allow you to count your achieved grade towards meeting your offer conditions.
Blobfish12345
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
Hi there! We don't often see this, but I think we would treat it like A Levels taken in Year 12. Unless it's directly relevant to the subject you've applied for, we would most likely exclude it from your offer conditions. In your case, Maths is highly relevant to Computer Science, so it will depend on what other subjects you are taking as to whether we take it into account and either reduce your offer (to A1, A2, A2, for example) or allow you to count your achieved grade towards meeting your offer conditions.
Fantastic! Thanks for the response. My other advanced higher subjects for S6 are maths of mechanics, physics, chemistry and English. Would these possibly be acceptable for an A1, A2, A2 offer (as I have hope to already have an A1 Maths under my belt) If it’s relevant, I attend a state school and I was unable to take comp sci.
Peterhouse Admissions
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Fantastic! Thanks for the response. My other advanced higher subjects for S6 are maths of mechanics, physics, chemistry and English. Would these possibly be acceptable for an A1, A2, A2 offer (as I have hope to already have an A1 Maths under my belt) If it’s relevant, I attend a state school and I was unable to take comp sci.
It's up to the college you apply to to decide what offer they're going to make you. They might ask for A1, A1, A2 still, but they might not. I can't give you any certainty as to what offer you might be made, I'm afraid.
_samantha.smithh
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How were you able to take a AH in S5 😭
Blobfish12345
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _samantha.smithh)
How were you able to take a AH in S5 😭
I took higher maths a year early last year in S4. I sat at the back of a Nat 5 class and taught myself higher maths with occasional interaction from a teacher. I don’t however have Nat 5 maths now. I had to push for this. I then joined an S6 class for AH maths this year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads