The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Could my conditional offer be changed?

Hello everyone. I am an international applicant (in the American education system) who chose Edinburgh as a conditional firm. I was given an offer on the assumption that I will have to achieve 3 AP scores of at least 4.

With that being said, on their website, it states that students could also submit an SAT 1 score. I already took the SAT (and not sure why it's not on my UCAS qualifications) and I was wondering if I could change one of my AP scores for the SAT.

Do you think Edinburgh will be willing to change my offer?
Original post by MichaelS07
Hello everyone. I am an international applicant (in the American education system) who chose Edinburgh as a conditional firm. I was given an offer on the assumption that I will have to achieve 3 AP scores of at least 4.

With that being said, on their website, it states that students could also submit an SAT 1 score. I already took the SAT (and not sure why it's not on my UCAS qualifications) and I was wondering if I could change one of my AP scores for the SAT.

I'm not an expert, but I'd probably say no. If you sent in your SAT score, they'd probably have to reconsider your application because I don't believe all qualifications are created equal. For example, I got a conditional offer from Uni of Bristol that I get a 5 on an AP exam, even though my SAT score meets the entry requirements. I'm assuming it's because the course is very popular. My advice is, even if they do allow you to add your SAT score, I wouldn't do it, because it puts you at risk for losing your offer.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by moose_juice
I'm not an expert, but I'd probably say no. If you sent in your SAT score, they'd probably have to reconsider your application because I don't believe all qualifications are created equal. For example, I got a conditional offer from Uni of Bristol that I get a 5 on an AP exam, even though my SAT score meets the entry requirements. I'm assuming it's because the course is very popular. My advice is, even if they do allow you to add your SAT score, I wouldn't do it, because it puts you at risk for losing your offer.

Only you are supposed to submit ALL exam results and that I would have thought includes the SAT result. ( I’m not an expert and don’t know about intentional applications) If a UK applicant«* forgets»to share a result it can be construed as fraud and they can lose their place so…… @McGinger

Hi. When you say SAT 1 it's an SAT subject test, right? Did you not put it on your UCAS application? Did you take it after the UCAS form was submitted or did you just forget to put it on? I could probably advise you more with a few details. Both my sons were in the US system and got unconditionals from Edinburgh. If you want to pm me with more details maybe I could help :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by expatmum
Hi. When you say SAT 1 it's an SAT subject test, right? Did you not put it on your UCAS application? Did you take it after the UCAS form was submitted or did you just forget to put it on? I could probably advise you more with a few details. Both my sons were in the US system and got unconditionals from Edinburgh. If you want to pm me with more details maybe I could help :smile:

Hey! Thanks for the reply. By SAT 1, I mean like the normal SAT everyone takes, not the subject tests (1600 max score). It seems like forgot to include it in my UCAS application. As for your question about when I took it, I had actually taken it before I had submitted my UCAS application. When I checked their website it shows that I actually meet all the minimum requirements to submit a regular SAT. I sent you a PM as well!
Reply 5
Hey! Thanks for the reply. By SAT 1, I mean like the normal SAT everyone takes, not the subject tests (1600 max score). It seems like forgot to include it in my UCAS application. As for your question about when I took it, I had actually taken it before I had submitted my UCAS application. When I checked their website it shows that I actually meet all the minimum requirements to submit a regular SAT. I sent you a PM as well!

Never mind... I can't send PMs yet...
Reply 6
Original post by Nobody2u
Only you are supposed to submit ALL exam results and that I would have thought includes the SAT result. ( I’m not an expert and don’t know about intentional applications) If a UK applicant«* forgets»to share a result it can be construed as fraud and they can lose their place so…… @McGinger

Seriously??? Gosh.. I already sent them an email asking them about this... It's just that I genuinely forgot to take the test... Why do they consider it fraud??
Seriously??? Gosh.. I already sent them an email asking them about this... It's just that I genuinely forgot to take the test... Why do they consider it fraud??

If you forgot to take the test and you did it only after submitting your application then it isn’t fraud, but if you’d taken it before the UCAS submission they might consider that you were attempting to hide a disappointing result.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Nobody2u
If you forgot to take the test and you did it only after submitting your application then it isn’t fraud, but if you’d taken it before the UCAS submission they might consider that you weee attempting to hide a disappointing result.

I'm not sure how it works in the UK, but all the schools in the United States have gone test option these past two years, so I was under the assumptions that they wouldn't take my score because no other US applicant is required to submit for Unis in the US.
I'm not sure how it works in the UK, but all the schools in the United States have gone test option these past two years, so I was under the assumptions that they wouldn't take my score because no other US applicant is required to submit for Unis in the US.

If you’ve already contacted the uni about it I’m sure everything will be fine as it’s obvious that you’re not trying to hide anything and it was a genuine error.

Well, if they are going to be sniffy they could say you should have submitted it on your original UCAS form. However, as filling in the UCAS form is pretty difficult with US applications given the rigidity of their drop down columns (I know, I've helped 2 kids do it) and your SAT score is good enough to be used as one qualification, I don't imagine they'll think of it as fraud. Although if you read the beginning of the UCAS application properly you'll find that it does state that, it obviously matters more when applicants 'forget' to include low scores or failed exams. I would write to the USA person at [email protected] setting the matter out clearly, and including a screenshot of your college board page with the SAT result, as well as any AP scores you already have. They should be able to help you sort it out - if you already have 2 AP's of 4 or above and the SAT they might consider changing your offer to unconditional, but if not you should be able to submit the SAT score at the same time you submit your AP scores, if you don't have them yet. Does that make sense?
Original post by expatmum
Well, if they are going to be sniffy they could say you should have submitted it on your original UCAS form. However, as filling in the UCAS form is pretty difficult with US applications given the rigidity of their drop down columns (I know, I've helped 2 kids do it) and your SAT score is good enough to be used as one qualification, I don't imagine they'll think of it as fraud. Although if you read the beginning of the UCAS application properly you'll find that it does state that, it obviously matters more when applicants 'forget' to include low scores or failed exams. I would write to the USA person at [email protected] setting the matter out clearly, and including a screenshot of your college board page with the SAT result, as well as any AP scores you already have. They should be able to help you sort it out - if you already have 2 AP's of 4 or above and the SAT they might consider changing your offer to unconditional, but if not you should be able to submit the SAT score at the same time you submit your AP scores, if you don't have them yet. Does that make sense?

I might have replied to someone else on this one, but I have already sent an email to [email protected] in regard to this matter. Would they think I'm being too impatient if I send another email? They did say they were going to forward to the relevant Admissions team if necessary in the automated message I got after sending the email.

Also, I'd just like to add on that in my case, this wasn't a case of me forgetting to include my SAT score. I don't personally consider my SAT score to be low, and considering it met the minimum requirement for all the schools I applied to (King's, UCL, etc.) I actually thought it would help my chances. I was told not to leave out any other qualification, so I even sent them my AP Physics 2 grade (which, luckily is not required for the course I'm applying to, since I got a solid 2 on it HAHA). Though, when I checked back my qualifications list earlier today, I was shocked to find that my SAT was not one of them. I find this strange because I do recalling filling in my SAT score, but sadly no one would be able to stand in as my witness for me, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Should I give them a call?
I might have replied to someone else on this one, but I have already sent an email to [email protected] in regard to this matter. Would they think I'm being too impatient if I send another email? They did say they were going to forward to the relevant Admissions team if necessary in the automated message I got after sending the email.

Also, I'd just like to add on that in my case, this wasn't a case of me forgetting to include my SAT score. I don't personally consider my SAT score to be low, and considering it met the minimum requirement for all the schools I applied to (King's, UCL, etc.) I actually thought it would help my chances. I was told not to leave out any other qualification, so I even sent them my AP Physics 2 grade (which, luckily is not required for the course I'm applying to, since I got a solid 2 on it HAHA). Though, when I checked back my qualifications list earlier today, I was shocked to find that my SAT was not one of them. I find this strange because I do recalling filling in my SAT score, but sadly no one would be able to stand in as my witness for me, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Should I give them a call?

Yeah, my son pulled out of his AP Physics exam once he had an unconditional offer - which was good because most of his friends got 2's!! I suggest you contact the US team I mentioned earlier - their job is to help prospective students from the US apply, so they will be the most invested in getting you a good result and also the most knowledgeable about the situation with US grades. I would write to them, and also forward the email you sent already so you're not working at cross purposes. It's always good to have someone in your corner - I've found them very helpful both times with my kids, both at Edinburgh and elsewhere. It's not that bad for us, because we are British so I understand the system a bit, but for US kids of US parents it can be very confusing - it's a very different application process to the US colleges.
Three fours?! I needed four fives. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending