A-level Maths OR French

Watch this thread
thomasmclaren
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey all, chosen Geography (currently a 9 at GCSE) and Drama & Theatre Studies (9 at GCSE), so deciding my third A-level.

Considering either Maths (currently a 6/7) or French (currently a 7/8) as my third subject.

Maths is a much better combination but I know I will struggle and would rather be more confident with French. At Uni I would like to do Geography.

Any advice?
orion reid
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by thomasmclaren)
Hey all, chosen Geography (currently a 9 at GCSE) and Drama & Theatre Studies (9 at GCSE), so deciding my third A-level.

Considering either Maths (currently a 6/7) or French (currently a 7/8) as my third subject.

Maths is a much better combination but I know I will struggle and would rather be more confident with French. At Uni I would like to do Geography.

Any advice?
I'm a year 13 student doing A-level Edexcel Maths.

The pure content is pretty easy(some find it difficult)
Are you confident in your maths skills currently cos A-levels is a big jump from GCSE maths(not as big as people make it out to be but still a bit significant)
I certainly can't comment on your GCSE grades as obviously you can get a 6 and still get an A*, I got a 7 at GCSE and I'm currently on an A*, this could fall to an A because my applied seems to be shaky. I personally think A -level maths is pretty straightforward, if you can get your head around the simple concepts then you're good to go. The difficult bit i would say would be applied maths if the school you're applying to does Edexcel. I think other boards do this as well but differently.
If you're more comfortable with french, go for it. Try to expose yourself to a bit of A-level maths(what i did over the summer and 2020 lockdown), from this you can see if you can grasp the concepts easily.

I don't wanna discourage you but if you do expose yourself and you're struggling, just go for french (better be safe than sorry!) but A-level maths really is interesting, all depends on your mindset (unlike GCSE maths, you have to be good at every topic in A-level to get a chance at the top grades, you be let off with not fully understanding a few concepts.) . You never, grade boundaries could be on your side( i mean in 2019 or so 50% or something was an A).

But some of my friends might have a different view and say it's really difficult but I've outline what i think so it's all on you.

Okay I've rambled on, hope you find this useful and if you have your GCSEs in a few weeks like i have my A-level, GOODLUCK!
Last edited by orion reid; 1 month ago
Honey57
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
How about you pick both maths and french then drop one when the subjects get heavy or you realise that you don’t like maths or french?
Lots of people did that in my school and after the first couple of months they dropped one that they were struggling in and weren’t enjoying and didn’t need at degree level.
notmyapples
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Any advice?
I am currently in year one of A Level French and i personally love it!
It's a lot more interesting that GCSE languages but requires a lot of dedication outside of the classroom, It's not something you can just sit down and revise for a week before your exam. I had to begin revising for my AS exam around January time as my speaking exam was in April. When I say revising though, it's very minimal revision. I use quizlet for around 10 minutes a day to recap vocab and use a site called conjuguemos to help me with my verb tenses. Both of these things take around 20 mins a day so its not too much to do.

Content wise its very interesting. I study AQA A Level french and my year one topics are Changing families in the francophone world (la famille en voie de changement), Technology and how people use it (la cyber-societe), Charity work in France (Le benevolat), Le patrimoine (a french word to describe heritage and culture), Francophone music (La musique) and francophone cinema (Le cinema)

I would honestly push anyone to take up French for A-Level. Also, the course isn't too popular so you get the chance to build really good relationships with all your teacher and your peers! If you need any more info send me a messgae!
thomasmclaren
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you guys! I've chosen to take all 4 A-levels (for now) and will decide after results day, induction day, a short bit of summer work, and if I still haven't decided before September then I'll carry on until half term doing both and drop whichever I like least (which will probably end up being Maths but I want to at least give it a try first!).

French is definitely my stronger subject of the two, but Geography French and Drama is a strange combination, even if I get AAA, compared to Geography Maths and Drama which is a better combo, but I'm not sure I'd do as well as the other choice.

I really like languages and would be interested in the culture of France etc, but Maths is a strong A-level regardless of future plans.

This is why I chose to do all 4 for now because it's too difficult to decide - both have equal arguments!

Thanks for all your help
notmyapples
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you guys! I've chosen to take all 4 A-levels (for now) and will decide after results day, induction day, a short bit of summer work, and if I still haven't decided before September then I'll carry on until half term doing both and drop whichever I like least (which will probably end up being Maths but I want to at least give it a try first!).

French is definitely my stronger subject of the two, but Geography French and Drama is a strange combination, even if I get AAA, compared to Geography Maths and Drama which is a better combo, but I'm not sure I'd do as well as the other choice.

I really like languages and would be interested in the culture of France etc, but Maths is a strong A-level regardless of future plans.

This is why I chose to do all 4 for now because it's too difficult to decide - both have equal arguments!

Thanks for all your help
I do french, art graphics and geography! dont worry too much about subject combinations! You can speak about dedication and keeping on top of deadlines for course work and french shows and interest to immerse your self into a subject and a culture! I wish you the best of luck!!
thomasmclaren
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by notmyapples)
I do french, art graphics and geography! dont worry too much about subject combinations! You can speak about dedication and keeping on top of deadlines for course work and french shows and interest to immerse your self into a subject and a culture! I wish you the best of luck!!
That's a really good point, thank you very much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.25%
As I expected (24)
30%
Harder (30)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise