The Student Room Group

music gcse coursework

have other ppl got back their gcse music coursework? how did u guys do? and how are u gonna prepare for the exam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by potatoes25
have other ppl got back their gcse music coursework? how did u guys do? and how are u gonna prepare for the exam?

I got 28/30 comp and 30/30 performance which I'm happy w although didn't rly know how to improve the comp anyway hahah. To revise I'll probs just go over notes a few days before, especially defying gravity
Original post by tch1161
I got 28/30 comp and 30/30 performance which I'm happy w although didn't rly know how to improve the comp anyway hahah. To revise I'll probs just go over notes a few days before, especially defying gravity

ooh well done! yeah i deffo need to revise defying gravity as i think its my worst set work, since we did it during lockdown
Reply 3
ooh well done! yeah i deffo need to revise defying gravity as i think its my worst set work, since we did it during lockdown

Eek yeh same haha - kinda glad tho bc I love musicals. How was ur coursework?
Original post by tch1161
Eek yeh same haha - kinda glad tho bc I love musicals. How was ur coursework?

yeah it went rly well actually! - i managed to get full marks on both. i was very happy with my mark cos my teacher didnt really give me any feedback, and only listened to the composition once, two days before the submission deadline.
Reply 5
yeah it went rly well actually! - i managed to get full marks on both. i was very happy with my mark cos my teacher didnt really give me any feedback, and only listened to the composition once, two days before the submission deadline.

Oh woah well done!! My teacher kinda didn't give me any further feedback so I was kinda confused why I didn't get full marks but oh well haha. What style was ur comp?
Original post by tch1161
Oh woah well done!! My teacher kinda didn't give me any further feedback so I was kinda confused why I didn't get full marks but oh well haha. What style was ur comp?

ahh yeah thats rly annoying - the same thing happened to my friend. mine was an eastern european dance style piece for violin and piano, kinda like brahms hungarian dances. what was the style of urs?
Reply 7
ahh yeah thats rly annoying - the same thing happened to my friend. mine was an eastern european dance style piece for violin and piano, kinda like brahms hungarian dances. what was the style of urs?

Oooh woah nice - I'm guessing ur a violinist then haha! I did a minimalist Philip Glass style piece for piano and cello
Original post by tch1161
Oooh woah nice - I'm guessing ur a violinist then haha! I did a minimalist Philip Glass style piece for piano and cello

ahh i was thinking of doing minimalism as well! and u guessed right haha - r u a cellist? otherwise what instrument do u play?
Reply 9
ahh i was thinking of doing minimalism as well! and u guessed right haha - r u a cellist? otherwise what instrument do u play?

Ah I wish haha, I used to play violin but turns out you need to start in the womb to sound good before you die (you must be v talented). I stick to piano, drums, orchestral percussion, and a little bit of French horn for now :smile:
Original post by tch1161
Ah I wish haha, I used to play violin but turns out you need to start in the womb to sound good before you die (you must be v talented). I stick to piano, drums, orchestral percussion, and a little bit of French horn for now :smile:

yeah it took me like 2 years not to sound like a dying cat haha. that's a lot of instruments though wow - do u play in any orchestras?
Ah fair enough haha, do you do grades?
Yep I'm in a couple at my school - percussion in a symphony orchestra (Shostakovich type stuff) and wind orchestra (fun Stevie wonder mashups etc), and then piano in a Big Band and just other random percussion stuff they need me for like musicals haha, wbu?
Original post by tch1161
Ah fair enough haha, do you do grades?
Yep I'm in a couple at my school - percussion in a symphony orchestra (Shostakovich type stuff) and wind orchestra (fun Stevie wonder mashups etc), and then piano in a Big Band and just other random percussion stuff they need me for like musicals haha, wbu?

ye ive got grade 8 on piano + violin. i play in a local music trust symphony orchestra, and also in a chamber music string group. my school orchestra is terrible - basically consists of a bunch of out of tune beginners - so ive stopped going to that now haha. what musicals have u played in at school? i recently played in bugsy malone w the music centre i go to, which was rly fun!
ye ive got grade 8 on piano + violin. i play in a local music trust symphony orchestra, and also in a chamber music string group. my school orchestra is terrible - basically consists of a bunch of out of tune beginners - so ive stopped going to that now haha. what musicals have u played in at school? i recently played in bugsy malone w the music centre i go to, which was rly fun!

Oh woah you're incredibly talented haha! That sounds like fun tho - shame that there's not loads of good ppl in ur school. I'm working on a piano dip which im slightly struggling w 😭 I played percussion in Hunchback of Notre Dame which was ridiculous amounts of fun - I've never heard the music for bugsy Malone tho haha
Original post by tch1161
Oh woah you're incredibly talented haha! That sounds like fun tho - shame that there's not loads of good ppl in ur school. I'm working on a piano dip which im slightly struggling w 😭 I played percussion in Hunchback of Notre Dame which was ridiculous amounts of fun - I've never heard the music for bugsy Malone tho haha

ooh wow that sounds rly cool! bugsy was rly fun, as it basically involved ppl shooting each other with cream and throwing custard pies around haha. im doing piano dip too - what pieces are u playing?
ooh wow that sounds rly cool! bugsy was rly fun, as it basically involved ppl shooting each other with cream and throwing custard pies around haha. im doing piano dip too - what pieces are u playing?

Bahah love it!! I'm doing: Sonatine - Ravel, Prelude G# Min - Rach, some Scriabin preludes (haven't decided which yet), and Night Sky Distant Waters - Klatzow (my own addition, a v atonal modern South African piece). Wbu? Which composers are ur fav too haha
Original post by tch1161
Bahah love it!! I'm doing: Sonatine - Ravel, Prelude G# Min - Rach, some Scriabin preludes (haven't decided which yet), and Night Sky Distant Waters - Klatzow (my own addition, a v atonal modern South African piece). Wbu? Which composers are ur fav too haha

omg im doing ravel sonatine too! im also doing moonlight sonata (kinda basic but my teacher instisted), cat and mouse by copland, and argentinian dances by ginastera for my own choice. my fav composers are probs mendelssohn, liszt, chopin (basically romantic stuff), and i also like the french impressionists like ravel and debussy. hbu?
omg im doing ravel sonatine too! im also doing moonlight sonata (kinda basic but my teacher instisted), cat and mouse by copland, and argentinian dances by ginastera for my own choice. my fav composers are probs mendelssohn, liszt, chopin (basically romantic stuff), and i also like the french impressionists like ravel and debussy. hbu?

Omg no way haha! Have u started the 3rd mov - it's so hard to get the voicings right and make it all sound even 😭 I would love to do cat and mouse but that looks even harder! Are you doing the whole moonlight sonata? The 3rd Argentinian dance sounds impossible wow! I absolutely love Chopin, his Mazurka in a minor is beautiful. I haven't played any Debussy but would love to as well!
Original post by tch1161
Omg no way haha! Have u started the 3rd mov - it's so hard to get the voicings right and make it all sound even 😭 I would love to do cat and mouse but that looks even harder! Are you doing the whole moonlight sonata? The 3rd Argentinian dance sounds impossible wow! I absolutely love Chopin, his Mazurka in a minor is beautiful. I haven't played any Debussy but would love to as well!

yep ive started all the movements, but my teachers quite fussy, so its slow progress! (although the end result is normally worth it). im currently struggling with 1st movt and 3rd movt voicing :frown: which is your favourite movement? i like the 2nd one, partly cos its easier, but its also rly pretty. and ye im doing the whole beethoven sonata (unfortunately since the last movt is kinda hard). i havent yet started the 3rd argentinian dance, but i will probs start it after exams, since its gonna take a lot of effort. im listening to the Klatzow atm - it sounds so nice! it should be more well-known ngl.
Wow - surely 2 sonatas + everything else will take you well over the time limit haha! Unless you're doing some crazy FRSM stuff :wink:
I love the 2nd and some parts of the 3rd are incredible, my fav part of the whole sonata is from about 9:10 - 9:40 on this recording (https://youtu.be/kpLeXGYwIm8). Are you from Argentina originally/have any connections to the dances or was it just a piece you liked? The Klatzow is great (although the sheet music is near impossible to sight read)

Quick Reply

Latest