The Student Room Group

Wadham Summer School Modern Languages

Hi,
I'm looking to apply for the Wadham Summer School for Modern Languages. Has anyone applied / been there before / willing to give tips about how to draft a good personal statement for the application?

(I want to study Spanish and Polish at Oxford, and my A-Levels are History, Spanish and Psychology)

thanks!! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by FrancescaM.1111
Hi,
I'm looking to apply for the Wadham Summer School for Modern Languages. Has anyone applied / been there before / willing to give tips about how to draft a good personal statement for the application?

(I want to study Spanish and Polish at Oxford, and my A-Levels are History, Spanish and Psychology)

thanks!! :smile:

Hiya. My son did the Cambridge Modern Languages summer school at Cambridge last summer. As regards the personal statement, they mainly want to see your passion for the subject. So if you have read any relevant books, taken online courses etc mention all that. Don't be afraid to mention specific books or films that inspired you. My son talked about his interest in Japanese medieval literature and that he had been reading several books in this genre and this led to conversations during the course - at the end of the week he was asked if he would consider applying for Cambridge. But the course at Oxford had more that appealed to him and he starts there in October (if the A levels go well of course). They were NOT interested in hearing about sporting achievements, Duke of Ed or any part time jobs. Don't waste their time with that stuff. They only want to hear about things relevant to the subject. Hope this helps.
Original post by PaulaFr
Hiya. My son did the Cambridge Modern Languages summer school at Cambridge last summer. As regards the personal statement, they mainly want to see your passion for the subject. So if you have read any relevant books, taken online courses etc mention all that. Don't be afraid to mention specific books or films that inspired you. My son talked about his interest in Japanese medieval literature and that he had been reading several books in this genre and this led to conversations during the course - at the end of the week he was asked if he would consider applying for Cambridge. But the course at Oxford had more that appealed to him and he starts there in October (if the A levels go well of course). They were NOT interested in hearing about sporting achievements, Duke of Ed or any part time jobs. Don't waste their time with that stuff. They only want to hear about things relevant to the subject. Hope this helps.

thank you!! this is very helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending