york university college stereotypes

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
thinking of firming york, wondering what the college stereotypes are, if they exist? i know they are prevalent in durham so just wondering if its the same in york. Im a music offer holder and would really prefer to be somewhere more social thanks!
lilb1tch
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
thinking of firming york, wondering what the college stereotypes are, if they exist? i know they are prevalent in durham so just wondering if its the same in york. Im a music offer holder and would really prefer to be somewhere more social thanks!
I rly don't think there are any ones that actually matter
but derwent is litty
University of York
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

There are vague stereotypes but they are largely inaccurate and change a lot! In my third year, the stereotypes were different to my first year, and all the colleges have a nice mix of people.

I studied Music at York, so let me know if you have any questions about the course or student life

Hazel
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by University of York)
Hi,

There are vague stereotypes but they are largely inaccurate and change a lot! In my third year, the stereotypes were different to my first year, and all the colleges have a nice mix of people.

I studied Music at York, so let me know if you have any questions about the course or student life

Hazel
hi, thanks for the reply! Regarding the music degree, would you say there is any career advice/opportunities? I am regularly confronted with the question about what I want to do after a music degree and the truth is I dont really know... so wondering if the uni helps with that at all. Also how easy is it to get onto a year abroad? thanks again!
University of York
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
hi, thanks for the reply! Regarding the music degree, would you say there is any career advice/opportunities? I am regularly confronted with the question about what I want to do after a music degree and the truth is I dont really know... so wondering if the uni helps with that at all. Also how easy is it to get onto a year abroad? thanks again!
Hi,

Yeah there's loads of career advice!

You will have an academic supervisor who you'll meet with regularly and discuss things like careers. When I was there, the Department also put on careers sessions where they invited a range of alumni with different careers and we had sessions where they gave a talk on how they reached their various careers and tips on how to get on different paths. For e.g. there was someone working at Royal Albert Hall, a professional musician, someone working in Music Therapy and people with completely different careers outside Music. I remember people saying that I would be limited with career opportunities by doing a music degree and had some people say that I'd have to go into music afterwards, and this is definitely not the case!

In my year group, we had some people go on to do a Masters at Conservatoires or an academic postgrad qualification at uni, and we had people go into peripatetic teaching, music classroom teaching, performance, community music, stage manager, arts administration, marketing - we then had some people completely change their minds and do completely different careers unrelated to music!

The Department of Music is really close knit and has really good ties with alumni. When you graduate, you join an alumni Facebook group where alumni are always posting exciting job opportunities in Music or related fields, often for their previous roles. They also often say that you can just drop them a message if you want to discuss the roles and get some advice for your application. If you start to lean towards a certain career, there will be someone in department who will be able to help you and point you in the direction of a relevant graduate to help!

There are opportunities within the Department to get a bit of work experience e.g. being a concert steward or front of house at concerts. I think they also have opportunities to help with social media. The National Centre for Early Music is also in York, so I know Music students who have had part time jobs there to get experience in arts administration/concert manager type work. We also have an opera house, theatres and Barbican in York as well as other music venues, so lots of places to do some work experience or part time work. You can also get involved in performance opportunities in these venues as well as department ensembles/societies at uni.

I had thought about teaching when I was at uni, so I got involved with the Music Education Group who run music sessions in schools and I did a schools placement as well. I also took the Community Music module where you have practical experience opportunities. The University also has a great Careers team and you can book in sessions and discuss your options with them as well! I've ended up in Marketing, but those experiences have been so helpful when working with student ambassadors in my role now.

It should be easier to get on a year abroad very soon, as a new year abroad route is being added to the Music course! You would do two years at York, a third year abroad then return to York for a fourth year. You don't need to decide now, it's something you can transfer onto once you've started! You should hear more info about this soon as it's all very new at the moment!

Hazel
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (22)
29.33%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (27)
36%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (6)
8%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
5.33%
I’m starting to consider my university options (10)
13.33%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (2)
2.67%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise