The Student Room Group

Should I just pull an all nighter at this point?

So it’s half 6 in the morning and I’ve been trying to go to sleep since 2am. I’m trying to get my sleep schedule back seeing as I have exams in about a weeks time. Should I just stay awake and do an all nighter without napping till a good time to sleep? How can I get to a normal sleep cycle? Any advice is appreciated.
Reply 1
If you have been awake all night you will 'crash' at some point this morning so just submit to sleep.

Set an alarm for 12.00pm today

Make the room dark and temperature cool. Just get comfortable in your bed and shut your eyes and focus on thinking of 'nothing' - look at nothing from the back of your eyelids, it is dark, it is quiet, what does nothing sound like, feel like, look like. Tell yourself to keep thinking of nothing. Be strict and keep saying it to yourself. If your mind drifts bring it back to 'nothing'

Get up at 12.00pm no matter how bad you feel. Plant your feet on the floor and get upright. After 12pm stay awake no sleeping until 11.00pm then go to bed (use the think of nothing routine)

No matter whether you sleep or not set your alarm for 0500am - as soon as the alarm goes off get up, go outside and walk for 30 mins - stay awake for the rest of the day until 11pm

It is the getting up at 0500am that is the cold turkey resetting your body clock. Don't nap or sleep in between until your sleep cycle is reset. This is the horrible part as you are creating jet lag without the benefits of having gone somewhere nice.
It is always easier to stay awake and burn the midnight oil, but far harder to force yourself to get up early. Most night shift workers know this and have a pretty horrid few days returning their systems to living in daylight.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttly
If you have been awake all night you will 'crash' at some point this morning so just submit to sleep.

Set an alarm for 12.00pm today

Make the room dark and temperature cool. Just get comfortable in your bed and shut your eyes and focus on thinking of 'nothing' - look at nothing from the back of your eyelids, it is dark, it is quiet, what does nothing sound like, feel like, look like. Tell yourself to keep thinking of nothing. Be strict and keep saying it to yourself. If your mind drifts bring it back to 'nothing'

Get up at 12.00pm no matter how bad you feel. Plant your feet on the floor and get upright. After 12pm stay awake no sleeping until 11.00pm then go to bed (use the think of nothing routine)

No matter whether you sleep or not set your alarm for 0500am - as soon as the alarm goes off get up, go outside and walk for 30 mins - stay awake for the rest of the day until 11pm

It is the getting up at 0500am that is the cold turkey resetting your body clock. Don't nap or sleep in between until your sleep cycle is reset. This is the horrible part as you are creating jet lag without the benefits of having gone somewhere nice.
It is always easier to stay awake and burn the midnight oil, but far harder to force yourself to get up early. Most night shift workers know this and have a pretty horrid few days returning their systems to living in daylight.

Thank you, I will try it out

Quick Reply

Latest