Final year option- extra module or dissertation

Watch this thread
dontworryboo
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello people,
I’m currently studying law and going in to my final year in September (thank the Lord, I’ve made it this far!!).
They’ve given us a choice of either a diss or extra module. What are the pros & cons of both? - I am unsure what to pick. I was thinking to do the extra module because I cba to write a 10,000 word essay but idk 🤷*♀️
Noble.x
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Tbf if you’re planning on doing a masters degree in the future, go for writing a dissertation.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I do a masters and we don’t need to do a dissertation, so not all do.

Though one module was 7500 word coursework rep pretty much did one anyway!
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
And I know I spend far longer on modules with coursework than exam ones, which isn’t ideal.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
As above if you want to go onto postgraduate study (especially a PhD/DPhil) you absolutely should plan to write a dissertation or similar. It would likely be helpful for some masters programmes as well, particularly more research focused ones (albeit within law LLMs often aren't wholly research focused).

Outside of that, it's worth considering your strengths and interests and how each module may serve those. The dissertation has the benefit of allowing you to do in depth research into an area which may not be properly supported by existing formal modules for example. It is also a way you can get a chunk of marks "in the bag" before the final exam season, which may be a relief!

However, if you struggle with planning and working through large pieces of coursework, a dissertation may be challenging to keep on top of - if you know it's likely you'll write the whole thing in the last month before the deadline it may be better to avoid it. Likewise if you're absolutely confident in your exam abilities, more so than your research/writing skills outside of exams, then you may do better in an exam based module. Also if there's nothing in particular you want to do more research into then a dissertation might end up being a quite tedious process for something you aren't interested in.
dontworryboo
Rep:
(Original post by Noble.x)
Tbf if you’re planning on doing a masters degree in the future, go for writing a dissertation.
Yeah, I’d like to do the llm lpc
dontworryboo
Rep:
(Original post by BigJohn2000)
I don't think with the availability of the internet it's a problem to write a dessert, bro. It won't be that hard, we believe in you, I've been through it more than once, you should write it
Haha so does my lecturer it seems !
dontworryboo
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
As above if you want to go onto postgraduate study (especially a PhD/DPhil) you absolutely should plan to write a dissertation or similar. It would likely be helpful for some masters programmes as well, particularly more research focused ones (albeit within law LLMs often aren't wholly research focused).

Outside of that, it's worth considering your strengths and interests and how each module may serve those. The dissertation has the benefit of allowing you to do in depth research into an area which may not be properly supported by existing formal modules for example. It is also a way you can get a chunk of marks "in the bag" before the final exam season, which may be a relief!

However, if you struggle with planning and working through large pieces of coursework, a dissertation may be challenging to keep on top of - if you know it's likely you'll write the whole thing in the last month before the deadline it may be better to avoid it. Likewise if you're absolutely confident in your exam abilities, more so than your research/writing skills outside of exams, then you may do better in an exam based module. Also if there's nothing in particular you want to do more research into then a dissertation might end up being a quite tedious process for something you aren't interested in.
Thank you for the in-depth advice x
dontworryboo
Rep:
(Original post by Catherine1973)
And I know I spend far longer on modules with coursework than exam ones, which isn’t ideal.
I see what you mean! Good luck with your studies x
dontworryboo
Rep:
I may just go ahead and do that… the problem is thinking of a thesis that will enable me to reach 10,000 words or so without getting stuck
Noble.x
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dontworryboo)
I may just go ahead and do that… the problem is thinking of a thesis that will enable me to reach 10,000 words or so without getting stuck
I’m sure uni has taught you how to waffle by now x. Don’t worryyyy you’ve got this!!
dontworryboo
Rep:
I’m sure uni has taught you how to waffle by now x. Don’t worryyyy you’ve got this!!
Hahaha true
BPP Students
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi,
As a current LLM LPC student at BPP, we are given the chance to do a 3000 words essay as part of independent research as opposed to a dissertation. I believe this is why I was advised to do the 10,000 dissertations during my undergrad at Exeter. If you have the right supervisor as your current undergrad, it's worth doing it as you said you will be doing the LPC LLM. I will be doing my dissertation during my second Masters in Human Rights as I didn't have the right supervisor during my undergrad at Exeter. Wishing you all the best with your dissertation.

Best
Farzana
LPC LLM Student
BPP Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
27.9%
As I expected (73)
31.33%
Harder (87)
37.34%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.43%

Watched Threads