The Student Room Group

How did you meet your partner?

Just curious. It seems that a lot of people turn to dating apps these days (or maybe that’s just TSR!) so it would be good to hear other ways of meeting people.

Personally, I met 5 of my exes online, and the 6th one at school - how about you? And who made the first move? :smile:
Original post by RushingRiver
Just curious. It seems that a lot of people turn to dating apps these days (or maybe that’s just TSR!) so it would be good to hear other ways of meeting people.

Personally, I met 5 of my exes online, and the 6th one at school - how about you? And who made the first move? :smile:

I met my partner (gf) at the gym, as a nonbinary person I was not the typical gym person. I came up to her and told her I like her hair. She replied, "thanks it's a mullet" then we didn't speak for another couple weeks. Until one day she approached me and apologised for her being awkward. We started a conversation and that's how we've been together for 9 months now :smile:
Original post by valenti188
I met my partner (gf) at the gym, as a nonbinary person I was not the typical gym person. I came up to her and told her I like her hair. She replied, "thanks it's a mullet" then we didn't speak for another couple weeks. Until one day she approached me and apologised for her being awkward. We started a conversation and that's how we've been together for 9 months now :smile:

Aww, that’s cute! :smile:
Reply 3
Via mutual mates.
It's quite a funny story actually, never used an online dating website before but met my current partner through a freshers page on Facebook. I replied to her post asking for any people on her course and started talking from their. Been together for 2 years now, it's a rather odd story.
we met at the cinema actually, but we didn't really speak so he found out my surname from someone at uni so he could add me on facebook, he asked me out for a coffee and that was 8.5 years ago now
Tinder. Not a great love story but it is what it is. :lol:
Reply 7

unlucky me...never had a bf😖😖

I met my ex girlfriend in college. I helped and supported her whenever she needed it from me and then we exchanged numbers just before lockdown before we spoke over snapchat for about a year or so after the restrictions were lifted last June during the on the opening ceremony of the European Championships we met. 3 and a half months sadly turned into a nightmare and living torture as I got gold-digged, used, cheated and played with. Ever since we split up 5 months ago and it was too good to be true sigh 😞😔 what I thought and had hoped never happened nor was meant to be she was just a cruel woman.

I met him on PS4 LOL on GTA Online to be more precise! 😂
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
I met him on PS4 LOL on GTA Online to be more precise! 😂

that's sooo dope
Literally bumped into him at work when he'd gone through a swing door and he then unexpectedly pushed it back open for me. Recognised each other from him having visited a previous workplace of mine several years before, got talking, had our first date 4 days later, still in a long-term relationship.
Thankssss 😂😂

Original post by Reeti
that's sooo dope
Reply 13

at a party. all i remember is that i was ridiculously drunk. he took me home with him but didn't take advantage of me which i thought was super sweet.
A lot of people are turning to online dating yes and it’s creating a lot of miserable single people. Most successful relationships happen offline. Online dating doesn’t work for the vast majority of people.
My friends birthday. I had made her a cake, and we planned to take it to the local sports hall as thats where we all used to hang out. It was the early 90's and some of the lads from other towns would come to ours and you would know them by their car lol. I met my fella whos mate used to drive an orange mini. And that night we saw each other and got chatting. They would often hang around with me and my group of friends, either at the local park, or the sports hall which used to have pool tables and that. 3 months later we became a couple, and we just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary 3 weeks ago.
Online, but before online dating was a thing.

I was bored one day back in 2001, so I decided to browse on Yahoo People Finder to see if there happened to be anybody online not a million miles away from me that I could chat to.

Found a few people, struck up conversations with them via Yahoo Messenger. A couple responded, but only one struck up a decent conversation... although he did nearly put his foot in it when he said he hated the French, and I then disclosed that I'm half French.

Well regardless, we arranged to meet up after a few weeks of talking. He brought his friend / ex girlfriend along, because he didn't want me to be scared meeting a guy on my own (plus he looked like a big intimidating biker dude - long hair, big build, long leather trench coat, boots...)
He was 24 but I was only 17.

Well we got on well, became friends, and then he asked me out about a month later. I said yes, then changed my mind and said no.
He asked me again a couple of weeks after that, so I gave it a shot.

Here we are nearly 22 years later. Married for 17 years, 4 kids.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending