politics 10 marker

Watch this thread
jonnyallen
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
hi basically my teacher is really strict and I don't know whether my answers are bad or my teacher is marking harshly. Could someone tell me how many marks I would get for thisCompare and contrast the ideas of devolution and supranationalism [10 marks]Supranationalism and Devolution are two comparable ideas that explain parts of the. The multi-national system is part of the Constitution in the United Kingdom. Devolution and Supranationalism both entail the transfer of powers from Westminster to either the home countries of the United Kingdom (Devolution) or the transfer of power upwards to the European Union (supranationalism). However, this does not mean that devolution and supranationalism give away the same powers, with Westminster having control of what powers to devolve down to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, while giving them control of international matters such as trade to the EU to control. What does not change in either devolution or supranationalism is that the Parliament always remains sovereign, as sovereignty cannot be transferred or shared. Additionally, unlike other countries, the UK is not a federal state. These two principles are what make Parliament absolute, and thus even if they choose to devolve power away, they have the power to repeal this at any time. This is seen in how specific Parliament is in the delegation of powers to devolved governments or upwards to the EU, as anything that isn't mentioned by Parliament will thus stay within Parliament. The only major exception within this is the Good Friday Agreement of 1998, in which Westminster holds all of the powers it is unwilling to transfer to the Assembly of Northern Ireland, whilst other legislation has been devolved.Another difference is in how powers are transferred within Supranationalism and Devolution. Supranationalism has a symmetric transfer of power within the 27 nations in the EU, as all nations within the organisation have sovereignty, they all delegate the same administrative powers to the EU, and thus with sovereignty, there can also be exceptions to this case (e.g UK from Euro) which shows how supranatioanlism to the EU isn’t completely symmetrical. This transfer of power upward was last updated in the 2007 Treaty of Lisbon, in which all member states agreed to allow the EU to take over particular activities of these states. The Four Largest of these powers that are delegated upwards are Customs Unions, the Single Market, Currency Union and a Socio-Economic Union, and additionally, the EU did have the ability to create laws that could potentially override UK law, as the UK had delegated those powers upwards as well. Devolution, however, has a more asymmetric form. With the Parliament’s sovereignty, they have the power to choose which powers to devolve to which regional assembly. Just because the Scottish and Welsh Assembly has been given the power of financial devolution does not mean that Parliament has any obligation to give Northern Ireland the same powers, which is seen in the Good Friday Agreement. Additionally, If Parliament feels that laws that have been implemented by devolved assemblies are not in the interest of Westminster, or that the administration of these regions has not been effective then they can also repeal the legislative powers that the devolved powers have, although the political implications would be severe.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (112)
41.33%
They're exactly what I expected (63)
23.25%