The Student Room Group

Medicine Gap Year Stories!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IBkidinthecorner
Hello and Welcome!

In this thread, us re-applicants of 2022 will share our gap year experiences to remind you that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. From UCAT and interview prep to joining the workforce, we've got you covered!

Get to know the people who were in your shoes last cycle alongside your fellow 2023 entry re-applicants.

About me (Incoming first year at KCL):

Spoiler

@KA_P (Incoming first year at ARU):

Spoiler

@Vanqueef (Soon to be second gap year student):

Spoiler

Reply below if you'd like to be tagged!
Tags:

Spoiler

My fellow re-applicants (please write your own introductions and I'll link them here :smile:)

Spoiler

Incoming 1st Year Medic at Lancaster University.

Rewind back to 2020 when I sat my UCAT. I put so much time into that and didn't come put with the best score at the end of it so it severely limited my options. The places I applied to in the 2021 entry cycle were not strategic at all and as a result, I came out with 4 pre-interview rejections and thought my dream of a career in Medicine was over. One fundamental piece of advice I would give any applicant applying for Medicine, and if you take nothing else from this post besides this please just remember this, apply to places that fit your specific strengths and give you the best chance of securing an interview ie. if you've got mediocre GCSEs don't apply to Cardiff or if you've got an amazing UCAT score apply to somewhere that heavily weights shortlisting for interview on it ie. Newcastle.

So fast forward to my A-Levels and I knew I had to do very well in those and I ended up coming it with A*A*AB with that B being in Chemistry so once again I was limited in medical schools. If you can take both the BMAT and UCAT it does open up a few more doors. I also reiterate to check different universities' contextual criteria as there are so very strange criteria that mean you get reduced offers.

After some careful consideration, I decided on a GAP year after my 4th rejection in January 2021 and knew I had to really knuckle down and try to achieve the best scores possible in UCAT and BMAT and on both tests I was able to secure high enough scores to get over the thresholds for all my universities that I applied to. Medify and BMAT Ninja were godsends for both of these. UCAT is really just getting used to the question structure and being able to identify what you can and can't do quickly. Triaging is really key for that exam so flag and skip are so useful. Daily practice as well is very useful as well - doesn't have to be hours upon hours but a little and often is perfect. By changing my strategy to this the 2nd time I managed to increase my score by 240. Watch your timings as well and check beforehand they give you a working pen - cut 3 minutes off my decision making time due to the invigilator going to find a pen.

For interview preparation, wise I'd say some key things that worked really well for me were ensuring the common questions that are outlined online in multiple places I had points for and I could bounce ideas off on the spot in an interview scenario. Alongside knowing medical ethics and roleplay framework ie. SPIKES, SPIES and NURSE etc were all really good. ISC interview book if you are able to get it was an absolute game-changer for me this cycle and doing mock interviews with friends and ex-teachers etc.

I ended up with 3 interviews this cycle and 2 offers. Managed to secure my first choice that's been my dream university for the last 18 months and couldn't be more excited to start my journey there in October. So anyone that's sat there with 4 rejections don't lose hope and know that when that offer does come through in that next cycle the hard work is all worth it.

I'll be on here a ton from now on so please if anybody needs anything or has any questions just tag or PM me :biggrin:
(edited 1 year ago)
bruh my computer was having none of it - i tried :lol:
Yes i did - just waiting to hear back today :biggrin:
Original post by Clintt15
Yes i did - just waiting to hear back today :biggrin:

Yayayayay!!
It was @TCL's idea, I can't take credit for it! I think I'll add in a bit more detail about how I improved my UCAT score and interview prep so it's easily accessible as I keep having to retype it out ahaha. Also, TSR on a computer is so much better omg! I exclusively use the app so this is mind-blowing lmao

I'm gonna add a bit more too 😂
Nawww honestly it's such great advice and gave me a few points to add on to mine hehehe - the more we write the better the amount of information future applicants get right! :hugs:
Original post by Suzietelescope1
Hi, great thread! I had post interview rejections from Oxford, Notts and Bristol. As yet no feedback so don't know where I went wrong. Can you recommend a good way to do some interview practice please? UCAT 2950 B2, good BMAT and predicted full 45 points in IB. Lots of work experience etc. so don't know what went wrong, so hard to improve for next time :frown: thank you

Hey! I found the ISC Interview Preparation Book and The Medic Portal's 112 Free Interview Questions really helpful in terms of brainstorming ideas and familiarising myself with the medicine interview process. Having had four pre-interview rejections in my first cycle, I felt quite out of my depth in interview preparation, but through reflecting on my own experiences as well as keeping up to date with the news, I was able to secure four offers this year. Practise speaking out loud as much as possible; whether it be in front of a mirror, with your parents, friends or former teachers. This will get you used to speaking off the cuff under pressure. Have an idea of which examples you'll use for certain questions. For example, I knew that for a question about Teamwork, I would discuss a Model UN conference I had attended in the Netherlands or for a question about Communication, I would talk about my experiences working at a department store. This took some of the pressure off as I didn't have to come up with an example on the spot for most of the common interview questions. Also, try to use your gap year to experience things you can talk about at interview, even if it's going on holiday with your friends as you can talk about planning the itinerary, saving up etc. Chances are, there are a lot of things that you've already done during your time at school that you can mention; possibly even things you haven't thought about before.
It was good! Very short though lol, but there were only c. 120 people there. At first there were like 90 of us so I got excited for you, but even assuming 1 in 2 offer holders attended, they’ll still have to send out at least 160 more offers :smile:
Yeah they really are omg 🤦*♀️🤷*♀️
I’m really excited, but nervous I’ll go there and regret not choosing one of my other unis
Yes I suppose so; it’s just that having to choose between four was a bit overwhelming. Still, I procrastinated it for a month and I had to choose eventually. Hopefully you’ll be joining me in September!
Hi everyone! Fellow reapplicant here and super happy to say I got an offer from my top choice Newcastle this time round!
I got 3 post interview rejections last year and was feeling pretty bummed as expected. I acc remember popping up to (from old account) as we had applied to basically all the same unis last year. It was just reassuring to know there’s other people in the same boat!
Anyway, I almost took my biomed offer cuz everyone else I knew was going off to uni but I’m very glad my mum knocked some sense into me and made me realise a gap year would be the best option for me.
Did the UCAT, online work exp, volunteering and travelled to India! Honestly such an amazing year and can’t wait to start uni. TSR helped SO much with interview prep and it’s definitely what helped me secure that offer.
Sorry for the waffle haha and pls could I be tagged :smile:
🤞🤞🤞
LOVING the gap year happy vibes! :grouphugs:
Just relaxing and visiting friends atm! Probs gonna get a summer job
Hope you hear back from Kings :smile:
Carrying on carrying on, thanks! Busy, as ever. Still watching and hopeful for your Kings offer :crossedf:
Hello and Welcome!

In this thread, us re-applicants of 2022 will share our gap year experiences to remind you that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. From UCAT and interview prep to joining the workforce, we've got you covered!

Get to know the people who were in your shoes last cycle alongside your fellow 2023 entry re-applicants.

About me (Incoming first year at KCL):

Spoiler

@KA_P (Incoming first year at ARU):

Spoiler

@Vanqueef (Soon to be second gap year student):

Spoiler

(Incoming first year):

Spoiler

@Clintt15 (Incoming 1st Year at Lancaster University):

Spoiler

Reply below if you'd like to be tagged!
Tags:

Spoiler

My fellow re-applicants (please write your own introductions and I'll link them here :smile:)

Spoiler

What a great thread idea!

Thanks for sharing your stories (@IBkidinthecorner, @KA_P @Clintt15) and helping reassure other med applicants that it is possible to get offers despite multiple rejections! :smile:

Best wishes to @Vanqueef and other re-applicants too please keep the thread updated!

Please do tag me!
Original post by TriplexA
What a great thread idea!

Thanks for sharing your stories (@IBkidinthecorner, @CoochieMan @KA_P @Clintt15) and helping reassure other med applicants that it is possible to get offers despite multiple rejections! :smile:

Best wishes to @Vanqueef and other re-applicants too please keep the thread updated!

Please do tag me!

Will do! :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
LOVING the gap year happy vibes! :grouphugs:

It's nice to have a place to reflect on my gap year while helping others! I hope you're well :hugs:
Original post by KA_P
Hey! This is a great idea! :hugs:

Spoiler

Edit: Oops I wrote so much @IBkidinthecorner

Okay I think I've finished editing now hehe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending