The Student Room Group

Nat 5 English Exam 2022

How's everyone feeling? I'm feeling good about RUAE and the questions for critical reading but I'm super nervous about the essay. I've realised I don't have mine memorised at all lol.

Scroll to see replies

Which essay have you been studying?
Original post by angelic<3
Which essay have you been studying?

We're doing Dulce Et Decorum Est by Wilfred Owen for the essay, and Sailmaker for the Scottish text. What have you been doing?
Last year i did Carol Ann Duffy for the Critical Essay and Bold Girls for Scottish Text. It was quite easy however i think the jump from Nat 5 to Higher is quite a lot as instead of an 8 mark question there's a 10 mark question and for Critical Reading you have to do more in-depth analysis.
Is anyone doing Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck?
Original post by rose.clm
How's everyone feeling? I'm feeling good about RUAE and the questions for critical reading but I'm super nervous about the essay. I've realised I don't have mine memorised at all lol.

mines is the other way round lol. im not too sure about RUAE, but the essay and the questions for critical reading are fine. i just hope it will be easy questions. But you u should be fine just remember a quote for each para and the structure you u learnt about it at school. and remember to link. GL
How's everyone feeling? I'm feeling good about RUAE and the questions for critical reading but I'm super nervous about the essay. I've realised I don't have mine memorised at

Ik its quite late but do u have any tips for RUAE?
Original post by 2022user

do lots of past papers!! and look at marking schemes for them - i found this super helpful because i have a better understanding of what the SQA are actually looking for in my answers (length and depth of analysis etc.)
Reply 8
And also, to add to this, get them marked by a teacher if you can (a bit last minute!). I find this helpful because sometimes you might give yourself a mark when it's not really deserved. I thought I was good at RUAE until my teacher marked something, and then I realised how much I've been lacking, and putting too much effort into bits where I didn't need it. However, past papers definitely do help even if you aren't getting them marked by a teacher, as long as you read the marking schemes carefully!

I'm feeling overall confident but a bit nervous for the essay, despite doing well on practices. I'm doing drama and I've had full marks for theme and conflict and character before, but if it's anything else I'm probably screwed haha.

Does anyone know how to properly do effective opening questions? I just realised we didn't get taught them, only the effective conclusion.
do lots of past papers!! and look at marking schemes for them - i found this super helpful because i have a better understanding of what the SQA are actually looking for in my answers (length and depth of analysis etc.)

okay i'll give that a go thank you!
Original post by emkelt
And also, to add to this, get them marked by a teacher if you can (a bit last minute!). I find this helpful because sometimes you might give yourself a mark when it's not really deserved. I thought I was good at RUAE until my teacher marked something, and then I realised how much I've been lacking, and putting too much effort into bits where I didn't need it. However, past papers definitely do help even if you aren't getting them marked by a teacher, as long as you read the marking schemes carefully!

I'm feeling overall confident but a bit nervous for the essay, despite doing well on practices. I'm doing drama and I've had full marks for theme and conflict and character before, but if it's anything else I'm probably screwed haha.

Does anyone know how to properly do effective opening questions? I just realised we didn't get taught them, only the effective conclusion.

agreed its too late for me to do that haha. but thats something ill consider for next year thanks!

oh im not doing drama so i cant help u out there sadly. But have u tried looking it up online? someone's probably done a video about it, so it might be worth while to check

Here's more of a general tip, but if you have spare time write extra answers! They won't take off marks if it's wrong, and the more answers you put the higher the chance that one of them will get a mark. For example, In your own words, if it asks for five points, write something like eight points, because then you can get three wrong and it won't cost you any marks.
Original post by emkelt
Here's more of a general tip, but if you have spare time write extra answers! They won't take off marks if it's wrong, and the more answers you put the higher the chance that one of them will get a mark. For example, In your own words, if it asks for five points, write something like eight points, because then you can get three wrong and it won't cost you any mark

ooo that's a really good tip, i hope I dont run out of time, bc in the prelim i did. But for the exams i get given extra time so that might help
Original post by JakeBox
Is anyone doing Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck?

I'm doing OMAM. I'm not looking forward to the essay.... there's like 12 different essay questions they could ask and I only have a practice essay for 1 of them
Original post by George517
I'm doing OMAM. I'm not looking forward to the essay.... there's like 12 different essay questions they could ask and I only have a practice essay for 1 of them

As long as you have quotes + analysis memorised that's what matters. Then just manipulate what you're saying to fit any question by changing the starting sentence of each paragraph and the ending paragraph. That's what I do.
Original post by George517

ooft i feel the same way cba w/ essay

As long as you have quotes + analysis memorised that's what matters. Then just manipulate what you're saying to fit any question by changing the starting sentence of each paragraph and the ending paragraph. That's what I do.

makes sense
How did everyone’s exam go!! 😁😁
A>M>A>Z>I>N>G the essay question was just the one i was looking for and the set text 8 mark was the one i was expecting, finished 30 mins early and managed to check over it 2ice so very happy.

what about you guys?

How did everyone’s exam go!! 😁😁
Original post by JakeBox
A>M>A>Z>I>N>G the essay question was just the one i was looking for and the set text 8 mark was the one i was expecting, finished 30 mins early and managed to check over it 2ice so very happy.

what about you guys?

I thought it went really well! I can't believe the RUAE was about the sims lol. The 8 marker wasn't what i was hoping for it to be but I think I still did it well enough, and the essay question was super vague so that was good!
The RUAE was a blessing and the critical essay question was great as well, however the 8 marker was only alright compared to the other stuff

Quick Reply

Latest